Not quite sure if this is the wrong section:

Ok so i've been casually (as in on and off) playing guitar for about 5 years now (3 of those years i was at uni) my problem is that whenever i find a song i really want to learn i never end up learning the entire song, and it dishearten's me when i go into music stores to see people able to play full songs and there i am playing riffs from songs, the only song i can play all the way through is Cocaine by JJ Cale, and that's only because it has 3 chords for the entire song and the pattern is the same all the way through

I love classic rock and metal so when i try to learn songs which grab me; songs like Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Eruption (throw myself into the deep end why don't i), Pour Some Sugar on Me (i've even had a stab at Raining Blood and War Ensemble; but gave up very quickly) and i never have the motivation and determination to learn a song all the way through, right now i've got to the solo on Enter Sandman which i've kinda stopped learn cos i'm not noticing any improvement in my learning of the solo

I have a dream of being able to play Enter Sandman (inc. solo) to a crowd of people and have them applaud me after (even though it's a very cliché metal song)
You got to have a middle ground. I wouldnt jump right into raining blood or eruption. Stick with one song like enter sandman and play it at half speed on guitar pro. (download GP if you dont have it). Play the song slow over and over. The more songs you get down fully the easier the process will become of learning full songs a lot faster. Good luck with it!
Quote by mabbamam
You got to have a middle ground. I wouldnt jump right into raining blood or eruption. Stick with one song like enter sandman and play it at half speed on guitar pro. (download GP if you dont have it). Play the song slow over and over. The more songs you get down fully the easier the process will become of learning full songs a lot faster. Good luck with it!

I can play about 80% of Enter Sandman at full tempo (the other 20% being the solo and some filler riffs)
Quote by AlanHB
Learn easier songs.

loving the signature btw, i'm a very good GH player myself and i agree, problem is i get bored of easier songs ... so very quickly
Quote by binadra1234
Try some Thin Lizzy songs they are quiet easy and really fun to play

Whiskey in the Jar / Boys are Back in Town?
I dunno. When you realize how many songs are just repetition of chords and the real flavor is actually in the vocals, if you can sing, it's quite easy to learn whole songs if you just do stuff with chords and easy riffs.
Quote by Epi g-310
I dunno. When you realize how many songs are just repetition of chords and the real flavor is actually in the vocals, if you can sing, it's quite easy to learn whole songs if you just do stuff with chords and easy riffs.

I can sing, i can't sing and play at the same time however, although most songs are repetitions of chords some songs such as Metallica song has many fillers which makes them less boring to learn (imo)
Quote by Tcrumpen
problem is i get bored of easier songs ... so very quickly

You can't even play easier songs so you'll have to put that attitude in the corner.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Epi g-310

That is why........INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC master race.
The only thing I ever learnt all the way through was smells like teen spirit and I've forgotten the solo to that... And yet I'm going to study music at college in a few months. It depends what you want out of music, I normally get bored of other people's songs and end up writing my own.
Quote by AccountAttempt4
The only thing I ever learnt all the way through was smells like teen spirit and I've forgotten the solo to that... And yet I'm going to study music at college in a few months. It depends what you want out of music, I normally get bored of other people's songs and end up writing my own.

I don't have that ability in me yet to wack songs out at whim, i'm still trying to find my 'sound' once i have the tone i'm looking for i think i might get more motvation
Quote by AccountAttempt4

As long as your career path never involves playing anyone else's songs you should be fine.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
As long as your career path never involves playing anyone else's songs you should be fine.

hah, "Career," what a load of bollocks - I'm gonna be a vagrant for sure...
Quote by Tcrumpen
I don't have that ability in me yet to wack songs out at whim, i'm still trying to find my 'sound' once i have the tone i'm looking for i think i might get more motvation

It depends who you are I suppose. If you aren't interested in writing songs then don't bother, but if you are... well just write them! Don't ever let fear hold you back. We grow up in society with an internalized fear of being judged and a fear that we aren't good enough. But if you are ultimately and supremely confident then you just need to exert a little more discipline, I like to draw an hourglass on the back of my hand with a biro - every time I start procrastinating I look at it and think "Heck. I'm gonna die some day, and all the moments I spend watching cat videos on youtube are gonna add up."
maybe go back to the deep end for a while (ie: VH's Eruption), that way once you get bored of that, when you go back to the others songs again, you might find they are easier than when you last attempted them.

"putting in 110% effort to make 10% progress"

or if you want the easiest way... all you do is... oh hang on!
easy things bore you, so I guess there's no point to finishing this...
Quote by tonibet72
maybe go back to the deep end for a while (ie: VH's Eruption), that way once you get bored of that, when you go back to the others songs again, you might find they are easier than when you last attempted them.

"putting in 110% effort to make 10% progress"

or if you want the easiest way... all you do is... oh hang on!
easy things bore you, so I guess there's no point to finishing this...

You might as well finish no reason why i can't change my opinion, it might be that the easier songs i tried to learn i felt obligated to learn not cos i wanted to, i know a few songs which (i think) are quite easy like Whiskey in the Jar, Losing my Religion, Knocking on Heavens door
The process of learning to play through a whole song is a skill in itself that needs to be learned - so like Alan said you need to bust through a bunch of easier stuff to get yourself into the right frame of mind and actually get into the habit of learning entire songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Join a band and you'll be forced to learn to play whole songs. And you may notice that it isn't that hard. Most songs have just a couple of sections and you just need to remember how many times you need to repeat each section (and most of the time it's 2, 4, 8 or 16 times).

But yeah, learn easier songs. I would suggest something like Welcome to the Jungle. It's not really hard but it's pretty fun to play.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
But yeah, learn easier songs. I would suggest something like Welcome to the Jungle. It's not really hard but it's pretty fun to play.

I was thinking more like Green Day/Nirvana/Bob Dylan.
Soundcloud