I recently purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio because I loved the tone and feeling and I couldn't pass it up for the price it was going for. The amp i currently have a, Crate RFX200s, seems to just be super loud but lacks true tone and depth when i play crunchy music.

I mostly play metal and alternative rock/punk, such as:
A day to remember (any post-hardcore band)
Metallica
Seether
Saliva
Rammstein
Slipknot
System of a Down
and other bands with hard hitting rhythms or Drop D/C tuning...

My question would be what would be a couple of amps to be looking into to take my tone to the next level and get it a little bit more defined and clear. I've heard Marshalls and Blackstar are the way to go for this area of music. I've been playing for the last 4 monthes now and I can't stop wanting to advance and continue to learn more about the equipment and music. Any suggestions for a amp that could fit this description?

Sorry if my questions are vague or unclear, still new to most of this

Aiki
That alt/nu metal tone is pretty much Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier through and through. That'd be the be-all amplifier for what you want to play.

Definitely not the typical Marshall sound.

That said, we'll need to know your budget, whereabouts you're located (roughly, country will do though the more specific you are the more we can help you), and if you're willing to buy used or not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
That alt/nu metal tone is pretty much Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier through and through. That'd be the be-all amplifier for what you want to play.

Definitely not the typical Marshall sound.

That said, we'll need to know your budget, whereabouts you're located (roughly, country will do though the more specific you are the more we can help you), and if you're willing to buy used or not.

I'm from Pennsylvannia near Philadelphia area. Budget I guess would be around $600? I'm not sure because the last amp i bought was for $200 so i dont know how to gauge quality of the amp to the dollar amount... IE spending $4000 will get me exactly what i want... but how can i get it for $600 with less of the technical features of the $4000.

I'm definetley willing to go the used route... i got my Gibson used
Quote by Aikideath
I'm from Pennsylvannia near Philadelphia area. Budget I guess would be around $600? I'm not sure because the last amp i bought was for $200 so i dont know how to gauge quality of the amp to the dollar amount... IE spending $4000 will get me exactly what i want... but how can i get it for $600 with less of the technical features of the $4000.

I'm definetley willing to go the used route... i got my Gibson used

Go for a Peavy 6505 112. About $600 new, so maybe $400 used? Idk.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
6505 would do if you have no need for cleans; used JSX if you do need cleans.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
6505 would do if you have no need for cleans; used JSX if you do need cleans.

I like what I see with the 6505, the tone is on point with what I'm looking for indeed. Why would you say it isn't that good with cleans?
Quote by Aikideath
I like what I see with the 6505, the tone is on point with what I'm looking for indeed. Why would you say it isn't that good with cleans?

It has a clean channel with great cleans..... idk what he's talking about.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Aikideath

The cleans on the 5150/6505 series of amps is not that great. They will work, but the amps are geared towards hard-rock/metal so cleans are not their strong suit.
The 5150II/6505+ series has a better clean than the regular models, but it is still just mediocre
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
seems the Peavey 6505 is what I need to be playing, I'll try and find one and play one! thanks for all the help guys
Quote by Aikideath
seems the Peavey 6505 is what I need to be playing, I'll try and find one and play one! thanks for all the help guys

The cleans are manageable if you get the right preamp tubes. A 12AT7 in the phase inverter position and a 5751 in V1 will vastly improve the clean tone on that amp. That would cost you about $25 shipped. In my opinion they also make the preamp gain knob more usable for lead/distortion channel tones.

I even get decent cleans out of mine while running active pickups which is a real challenge. That amp just sounds kind of cold and sterile on the clean channel, but changing out those tubes helps warm it up in a big way.

As for brootal tones, the amp has some to spare for what you'll be using it for.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at May 29, 2014,
I've owned a 5150, JSX and 6505. I would definitely recommend the JSX for getting that alt metal Rectifier tone on a budget. It does a great job if you dial it in right. The 5150/6505 is too aggressive, it doesn't have that sort of fat sag that the Recto has.

The 6505 will definitely work for getting you the amount of gain and everything, but if you can get a JSX, it'll get you closer to what you hear than the 6505.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I've owned a 5150, JSX and 6505. I would definitely recommend the JSX for getting that alt metal Rectifier tone on a budget. It does a great job if you dial it in right. The 5150/6505 is too aggressive, it doesn't have that sort of fat sag that the Recto has.

The 6505 will definitely work for getting you the amount of gain and everything, but if you can get a JSX, it'll get you closer to what you hear than the 6505.

i rarely go clean unless its something for shiggles, plus if i do go clean i like a little extra sound to it then just pure clean. i guess i like it dirty clean? lol if thats even a thing
I happen to like rack stuff and would absolutely recommend my setup for metal. Peavey Rockmaster preamp into Classic 60/60(or any Classic) power amp. Very affordable and the effects loops on the RM are awesome. Five total, 1 global, 1 for each of the 3 channels, and one for the crunch and ultra channels. People don't buy it for the clean but I don't think that's too bad either, but metal is where it shines.
Quote by Aikideath
i rarely go clean unless its something for shiggles, plus if i do go clean i like a little extra sound to it then just pure clean. i guess i like it dirty clean? lol if thats even a thing

The clean wasn't why I was recommending it, just the way dirty tone is closer to a Recto than the 6505.

I mean, if you're happy with the 6505, by all means. It'll do the job as I said. I personally wouldn't get it for the bands you listed is all.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ I agree the JSX is much closer to the Recto sound. I had one years ago and it was a very nice amp. I played in a Punk/Hardcore band doing stuff like Strung Out, Lagwagon, Pennywise, Sick of it All
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92
The clean wasn't why I was recommending it, just the way dirty tone is closer to a Recto than the 6505.

I mean, if you're happy with the 6505, by all means. It'll do the job as I said. I personally wouldn't get it for the bands you listed is all.

how much of a distortion difference would there be? from the JSX to the 6505 and is the JSX just a head or does it come with a as a amp combo
Last edited by Aikideath at May 30, 2014,
Quote by Aikideath
how much of a distortion difference would there be? from the JSX to the 6505

It is not just a difference in the amount of gain, it is the type of gain and the way it reacts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Aikideath
how much of a distortion difference would there be? from the JSX to the 6505 and is the JSX just a head or does it come with a as a amp combo

What Rob said. The issue isn't the amount of gain, but how the gain sounds.

The JSX comes in a head or a 2x12 combo. Can be hard to find compared to the 6505+ 112 though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah I'm not finding them locally anywhere, would make giving it a test drive a little hard... would the 6505 still do well with punk based music or is it too aggressive?
Quote by Aikideath
Yeah I'm not finding them locally anywhere, would make giving it a test drive a little hard... would the 6505 still do well with punk based music or is it too aggressive?

It will work fine, but it is a very aggressive amp that does best with hi-gain. It does have a "clean" but it is not that great

They (JSX) pop up on GC all the time for $500-600
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
at least play a rec so you know how it feels and sounds/ i have owned a 5150 and it wasn't my favorite, one of few i have ditched.

not saying that either are better than the other but its good to get a flavor. i would go JSX over 5150 any day.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm reading reviews online about the Peavey 6505+ and I'm seeing that there some electronic issues surrounding the transformer? Apparently the amp can blow fuses and the transformer because it's "that powerful".... Anyone have this situation happen to them?
Quote by Aikideath
I'm reading reviews online about the Peavey 6505+ and I'm seeing that there some electronic issues surrounding the transformer? Apparently the amp can blow fuses and the transformer because it's "that powerful".... Anyone have this situation happen to them?

It hasn't happened to me in the three years I've owned one, nor have I heard of that happening. And I play loud as hell all the time.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
It hasn't happened to me in the three years I've owned one, nor have I heard of that happening. And I play loud as hell all the time.

+1 never heard about it. if it was an issue i imagine i would of heard about it on one forum or another at some point.

i wouldn't worry about it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Aikideath

This is more than I would pay for one, but just as an example: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVY-JSX-212-50-100WATT-TUBE-COMBO-110046509-i3704369.gc

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The only punk based band I know of that used Peavey 5150's is Strung Out. Their guitarist Rob Ramos used an old block letter 5150 for years (from 93/94 to 06/07) but their other guitarist has used Mesa Tripple and Krank Rev's. They are a bit more metal than punk but they are really the only band I can think of off hand.

They now both use 5150 III's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate