Kinda long post:

So I have a guitarists dilemma. I have a Mesa Boogie Mark V head and a cab for jamming with a metal-ish band I play with, and an Engl Gigmaster head and a cab to jam with another band (more tock oriented; only drums guitar and keys) but I hate hauling around the Engl and the 2x12 Blackstar cab I have for it.

With the rock band I play with, we jam in the drummers uninsulated garage, I can't really leave anything there overnight. And, since with these guys we play some smaller places and quiter stuff (coffeehouse song covers at a church) I cant be loud anyways.

I think I need a change from the Engl. Its okay, but I think I would benefit more from a combo. Hauling that 2x12 is just too much work for what its worth.

So: I'm looking for a 1x12 or (probably) 2x12 combo that can do blues, rock, punk-ish, Alexisonfire-y, and hard rock sounds, with help from pedals if needed. Pretty much everything except metal.
Budget would be like 800, has to be new, preferably from Long and Mcquade or Quest Musique. Closest city is Winnipeg, Canada.

Some options could be like a used Fender Twin Reverb, or Deluxe Reverb, or maybe a Vox AC-30? Would a Bassman be alright? (They were the basis for Marshalls, right?) A Mesa Boogie would probably too high for my budget and I'd like to be able to bump this amp around and not worry too much about it.

2nd question: looking for a good non-PC way to practice by myself at home. I've seen the POD come up quite a bit as a good product. Anything else out there good?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at May 30, 2014,
I would suggest maybe an Egnater Redel 30. If buying used wasn't a problem I'd definitely suggest a Randall RM20. You can buy the modules new at least.

Also, when I think of a workhorse, beater of a combo that sounds decent, I think Peavey.

As far as jamming at home with headphones, check out the Zoom G3/5. Thats exactly how I use my G3 and its amazing through headphones. Its got a ton of features, one being a looper. You can start a beat, loop a bass and/or rhythm line and jam away as a one man band. All very easy and mine has proven to be pretty rugged.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at May 29, 2014,
The Mk V should cover everything you want to do easily. Just start tweaking those knobs a bit. Run it through a 1x12 cab if you don't want to drag around a bunch of speakers for a small gig. (Vox AC30 and Twin are heavy as hell at 70-80 lbs)

Want something different?
* Pod + a small powered monitor
* Deluxe Reverb
* AC 15
* Cheapie grab-n-go amp that sounds good- Super Champ XD
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 30, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
The Mk V should cover everything you want to do easily. Just start tweaking those knobs a bit. Run it through a 1x12 cab if you don't want to drag around a bunch of speakers for a small gig. (Vox AC30 and Twin are heavy as hell at 70-80 lbs)

Want something different?
* Pod + a small powered monitor
* Deluxe Reverb
* AC 15
* Cheapie grab-n-go amp that sounds good- Super Champ XD

Sorry, didn't really explain it but moving the Mark V isn't an option. It's set into an entertainment stand that we use as a rack for mine and the other guitarists amp heads, and some mixers and the other guitarists things (his house).

I'm looking for something small ish that I can haul around. I was actually interested in Traynors after looking into them a bit more. I was just wondering what the general opinion is on them.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
What about a Tweaker?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What about a Tweaker?

Like the 40 watt 1x12 Tweaker?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Yeah. Any of them really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I am old school and not much of an Egnator fan but try one and see if you like it. Traynors are well built and good quality but usually heavy. A POD + monitor yields the most versatility but it is 100% digital modeling which doesn't work for everybody.

An EV ZLX12p with POD would be an excellent ultra-modern, high tech, light weight rig with 1000 watts and 126db output. It sounds amazing, only weighs 32 lbs and fits on the back of a motorcycle. $400 for the EV also makes this a pretty reasonable setup.
http://www.electrovoice.com/zlx/

For a small, lightweight amp that is more traditional sounding try a Fender Supersonic. The SS22 is enough to run with a drummer and the classic tones sound great.

My favorite grab-n-go amp right now is a Fender Super Champ XD. I often take this to band practice and occasional small gigs or jams when I don't need the hitting power of my Mesa. It is a tube hybrid with credible Tweed, Blackface, Vox, Plexi, and Mesa tones and a handful of useful effects so I don't need a pedal board either. It's small and only 25lbs but runs with most rock drummers at 15 tube watts. Plenty of amp for the coffeehouse gig or open mic jam. I found this used for $200 and it's a lotta amp for the buck.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 31, 2014,