I'm interested in writing some music along the lines of American Football, Empire Empire, Snowing, that kinda thing. Stuff with the twinklies.

I have NO idea how to go about this, anyone go any tips of how to play this kinda stuff?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you're cool with using an alternate tuning then I made this which a little while ago which I think was useful for a good amount of people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3bnIxeTnZE

If you want to use standard then learn a bunch of different chord progressions/inversions and have fun breaking them up/tapping them out. Try using add9's, suspended 2's and 4's, 6/9's, major, major 7th's, 7th's, 6th's, minor 9th's, etc.
Anything I should know about putting my guitar into a tuning where I tune up? Never really done that before.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Nah, you should be good unless you've got like ridiculously heavy gauged strings or something. I will say that playing this stuff in standard is way more fun/less restricting though, you can get way more specific on the type of inversions you want to hit. On the other hand, playing in alternate tunings can be really fun because you don't stretch your fretting hand nearly as much across the fretboard to play a lot of shapes as you would in standard.
I played around with DADGAD but it all sounded too dark, I mean I don't really know what I'm doing atm so anything to make it easier is gonna help.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Learn some songs by those bands and you should get a pretty clear idea of where the twinkles come from. You don't need to play in some crazy tuning either; I'm pretty sure that Empire! Empire!'s stuff is all in standard. If you're more comfortable playing in standard maybe start there.

I just recently started jamming in FACGCE and it's way rad. If you just want to get straight to an American Football sort of sound that's probably the way to go. It's pretty easy to just fool around on your guitar in that tuning and all of a sudden feel like you're (shitty) Mike Kinsella, haha.
Haha, but have you ever paid attention to Keith/Cathy's guitar parts though? Their lines are really quite simple (I say this as a big fan, they're a huge reason I play the music I do nowadays) You are way correct though, standard is way better for this stuff than an open tuning because you aren't nearly as tied to down to the open strings as much since you aren't automatically tuned to a major chord and therefore aren't forced to play progressions around the open strings.

On the other hand, you just have to accept that you're going to have to stretch your fingers 4-6 frets for every chord that you play :P
Yeah, for sure. I guess it also depends on what sort of sound you're trying to go for. Simple twinkly stuff like Empire! Empire! should be easy to do in standard. I imagine TTNG sort of stuff is going to be easier to do in an open tuning.
Well yeah, most definitely but standard can usually lead to way more specific chord changes which is really awesome if you decide to take advantage of it. Open tunings are such a fun style to play in though, and they can definitely improve you ear for layering progressions.