I'm shopping for a new guitar, it will be only used for bedroom jamming and recording, i like to play metal. so....do i get a guitar with active or passive pickups?
I prefer passives personally because if I'm recording I might be plugged in to my setup for hours upon hours at a time, and it's nothing to worry about. With batteries you get gradual degradation and it's just another variable.

That said, batteries aren't really that big of a deal, and they last a long time.

Your primary focus should be what kind of tone you want to get.

What bands/songs have a tone you'd like to get close to? What gear are you using right now? What is your budget?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
right now im just going direct into a boss br80 and using the amp models using a crappy $200 guitar.Bands I like, pantera, slayer Killswitch engaged, crowbar,down
You can play metal at bedroom level through active or passive pickups. Don't buy the guitar for the pickups, buy the guitar that you like to play and then you can always upgrade the pickups if you need to. When you search of a guitar that comes stock with something like EMG's you are going to end up spending a lot more money than you need to.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by jamesdolecek
I'm shopping for a new guitar, it will be only used for bedroom jamming and recording, i like to play metal. so....do i get a guitar with active or passive pickups?

Yes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by jamesdolecek
right now im just going direct into a boss br80 and using the amp models using a crappy $200 guitar.Bands I like, pantera, slayer Killswitch engaged, crowbar,down

Hm, sounds like your whole rig needs to be upgraded to be honest. How much would you be willing to save up/spend?

Do you play into PC only? If so you can get a pro sound with about $600, if you shop around and find good used deals.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I bsically have 1500 to spend. I have consideted the blackstar metal hr5 and i have also considered. A pod.just not sure which way to go in addition to a new guitar
Just to be clear, that's USD $, right?

Well I definitely wouldn't get a Blackstar.

Do you want an actual amp, or do you want to play into your computer?

Do you change tunings on your guitar?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 30, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
I prefer passives personally because if I'm recording I might be plugged in to my setup for hours upon hours at a time, and it's nothing to worry about. With batteries you get gradual degradation and it's just another variable.

That said, batteries aren't really that big of a deal, and they last a long time.

Your primary focus should be what kind of tone you want to get.

What bands/songs have a tone you'd like to get close to? What gear are you using right now? What is your budget?

1. i have had batterys last years probably had one at five years. i don't think they degrade tone that fast. if you are concerned put in one 9V every year..

2. i completely agree. get the guitar that feels right and sounds good to you. there are good and bad actives as well as passives. if you want a ****ton of output a dimarzio X2N probably has more, but i personally don't care for them. just get what you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/