Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner, only having took up the guitar a few months ago. Have been trying to service my stratocaster - things like, intonation, string changes, string height, e.t.c. I busted a high E string this afternoon, so will do a complete restring very soon.

Please have a look at the image below. Should the saddles be in this position? They are almost inline and as close to the nut as they can get. I seem to recall when I got the guitar that they were kind of more staggered. Basically, with them as they are in the pic, will things be okay?

Many thanks.

Ideally you want them staggered, The low E should be furthest from the nut, the A string closer and the D closer still. Then at the G string you go back again, but still a little further than the low E and you repeat the stagger as on the first 3 strings.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
Ideally you want them staggered, The low E should be furthest from the nut, the A string closer and the D closer still. Then at the G string you go back again, but still a little further than the low E and you repeat the stagger as on the first 3 strings.

Many thanks, that's really helpful!
Yeah, I don't know what constructbot is talking about. You adjust the saddles for intonation, it doesn't make any difference how they end up staggered.
Quote by constructbot

Hi again,

Should the saddles look something like this?

No. Look up an intonation video and follow the instructions. If the saddles were supposed to look one way they wouldn't bother making them adjustable. You wouldn't tune your guitar by asking if the tuning keys were facing the right direction, same thing here.