This is a really daft question, but I'm going ask it anyway

Where should I be after 18 months?

I know tons of open chords, 5 and 6 string power chords, all the E and A shape barre chords.

I can improvise with position 1 of the blues/minor pentatonic scale and major scale over backing tracks. I'm also developing muting wile playing lead and not using scale fingers. Although I'm only starting to learns bending and not started on vibrator.

I can comfortably play 8th note strumming patterns and can accent on 16th note patterns.

I can play few open chord songs and few barre chord/powerchord songs.
Last edited by TheCasual2013 at May 30, 2014,
Everything that you said means nothing. I only had to read one sentence to know where your post was going.

There is nowhere you should be after 18months. You are wherever you are and to try and come up with some stupid measurement of progress is completely pointless. A lot of early guitarists have a horrible idea (whether they consciously realize it or not) that guitar is some sort of competition and that there are different "levels" if you will..
Get out of the shitty beginners mindset because it is utterly pointless and won't do anything but discourage you. All that matters is you and how far you've come. Think how much better you were than you on day one and don't compare yourself to others.

Sorry if I come off a pessimistic wanker, but it really grinds my gears seeing these kind of threads haha
Quote by vayne92
Everything that you said means nothing. I only had to read one sentence to know where your post was going.

There is nowhere you should be after 18months. You are wherever you are and to try and come up with some stupid measurement of progress is completely pointless. A lot of early guitarists have a horrible idea (whether they consciously realize it or not) that guitar is some sort of competition and that there are different "levels" if you will..
Get out of the shitty beginners mindset because it is utterly pointless and won't do anything but discourage you. All that matters is you and how far you've come. Think how much better you were than you on day one and don't compare yourself to others.

Sorry if I come off a pessimistic wanker, but it really grinds my gears seeing these kind of threads haha

I agree with a lot of what you say. But it's human nature to want to measure self and the progress you've made.

I'm not interested in all these technical monsters like Vai and Satch. I'm not interested in playing fast.

Most of my favourite guitarists aren't flashy in the slightest. Players like Keith Richards, John Squire and Mick Ronson.
It is like Vayne said.

Music is one of those few things were you cant messure how much you "should know" in a specific amount of time, cause there are way too many variables (Time, how you practice, what you listen to, personality etc) that goes into it all, and since all books, teachers and self taught players do things differently there is no standard to compare yourself to.

As said by Vayne, once again, the best thing to do in music is to only care about what you think about your own progress and dont care about what others think (note: there is a difference between not caring what others think of your playing and getting advice from others) cause a lot of players are people that will discourage you. (This is why we get stories like "how many guitarplayers does it take to change a lightbulb? 100, 1 that does it and 99 that say they could of done it better")

Just enjoy the process, and keep at it. Ask for advice on specific things to do with playing, what is giving you trouble etc, but dont ask where you should be, cause no one can answer that.

Hope that was helpful to you.

Best Regards,
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
If you want to be a great player, practice at least 2 hours per day, or more. If you're not doing that, than you're not really reaching your potential, assuming that matters to you. The amazing players in history have practiced significantly more than that, some 8 to twelve hours per day for certain periods.

It takes the time it takes and each person is different, but if you want peace of mind that you are not being lazy and that you are a serious player, you need to put in the hours. If you're only picking the guitar up a half hour here and there during the week, then you simply need to adjust your playing expectations.
Well I saw an 11 year old on TV the other day shredding like a maniac, he also played a mean blues. So by that standard you have failed, unless you're 10 and you plan on stepping it up big time.
Honestly, everyone learns at a different rate. Obviously practice has a lot to do with it.
if after 18 months, playing guitar still interests or even excites you, then you're doing it correctly. that is the only universally applicable hint that you're on track.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
if after 18 months, playing guitar still interests or even excites you, then you're doing it correctly. that is the only universally applicable hint that you're on track.

Exactly.

There is no universal standard, where you need to be good at X, Y, & Z.

@TS:
Look you seem like you're on the right track. Just keep practicing and working at it. But if it becomes a "chore", then we got issues. Edit: Btw, do you have a tutor? Just wondering.
As said above,There is no where "should" i be in 18 months.Everyone learns at differing rates and we don't all learn the same stuff.Every guitarist is different.Like anything in life 'the more you put in,The more you get out'.The most important question,Are you enjoying what you're doing?That is hopefully why you play,Because you enjoy it.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at May 30, 2014,
I don't have a tutor. I've been using Justinguitar.

I love the guitar even more now then I did when I first bought one. It's literally the best thing I've even done.(Very Cheesy)

I love the journey, the struggle and then massive high when something you're struggling at clicks.

My practice is 65 minutes a day, everyday. The rest of the time is just messing around.
Where should you be? Well that depends. If you still like playing guitar, then you should be playing it. If not, you should be looking into other hobbies.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by TheCasual2013
I don't have a tutor. I've been using Justinguitar.

Ok, that's a good website. Lots of good lessons on there.

I love the guitar even more now then I did when I first bought one. It's literally the best thing I've even done.(Very Cheesy)

I love the journey, the struggle and then massive high when something you're struggling at clicks.

My practice is 65 minutes a day, everyday. The rest of the time is just messing around.

Sounds excellent. Like I said, keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like you're both serious about guitar and that you enjoy it! That's how it should be!
Quote by TheCasual2013

I love the guitar even more now then I did when I first bought one.

I'm the same. Way I figure, if you don't ever lose that, you must be doing something right.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, this is a really stupid question to ask.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com