Hi all

Not sure if "full voice" is the right term, or maybe I'm thinking chest voice?

Anyway, lately Ive been trying to practice not singing higher notes with just my chest voice. Every time I hear a recording it sounds muddy, like I'm focusing on the lower side of my voice.

So I started training on not doing that and the recordings got better. Now the problem is that I am not able to hit some of the higher notes I used to be able to get..

I remember hitting an F4 once, but with full voice. Now I can't even hit Eb4 and I am also having a bit of trouble with the D4.

I feel maybe it's because I haven't trained that muscle in my throat for as long?
I've been trying to get into the habit of 'mixed voice' as opposed to always chest voice.

my highest note that I can comfortably hit without any sort of strain or weakness is a C#4.

Help would be appreciated, thanks!
If you listen to musicians who are baritones (likely what you are), you'll notice that going up past around E4ish, maybe even before will cause their volume to rise. It's pretty much belting for most baritones around G4. I think you'll have to introduce yourself to this technique. It's important to not hurt yourself while doing it so you may need a coach. It'll be somewhat like a yell except very controlled by your soft palate and not your throat. Look up videos on how to do it but for the love of God, if it hurts, stop immediately.

People will tell you it'll be loose and easy to do but that's a crock of shit. There shouldn't be pain but there will be tension in your throat muscles as it requires proper cord closure.

This will likely take you to around G4, G#4, or A4 with a good deal of practice.

Example of a G4: the "So Sally" lyric from Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger (note: he's a tenor and achieves it smoothly, yours will be rougher) i strongly recommend listening to "Colder Weather" by Zac Brown Band. The end of the bridge where he says "calls me back here baby", the "baby" is a full G4 sung by a baritone. Try to mimic it. Note the belting loudness of it.

G#4: I don't have any examples to state here really

A4: The "Don't want" line at the start of the chorus of Goo Goo Dolls - Iris (note: he hits it lighter, he's likely a tenor); The higher parts of the chorus of Jimmy Eat World - Sweetness
Last edited by Milan999 at May 30, 2014,
Sounds like you are struggling with bridging your modal voice and your mixed voice.
That's normal, since both voices have a slightly different "placement" in your throat/mouth.
You'll probably also experience this if you try to sing a note in falsetto, and then switch into either mix or modal voice.
So. You should practice your mixing technique.
And also, as Milan said. Singing high notes will require high volumes, that's just the way it is. It does not sound like that because of studio-effects though.

Some people are able to make A4's sound like modal voice even though they are actually mixing. It really depends on what your range is and where you are comfortable.
Take a listen to this A4 (On "He rose).
Click Here!
On "Three days later" he hits the tenor C (C5).
He is a clear tenor and has incredible technique as well as pitching. But, even for him he has to raise his volume at around A4. Simply because those notes are high for males.
If you are a baritone, you will naturally struggle much lower than him.
Not that he struggles though, this is perfectly executed.
Last edited by KrisHQ at May 31, 2014,
Yeah, forgot to mention mixing. I'm sure you're already doing that to a degree, although it's probably weaker now than it should be since you're likely not supporting it as much. I learned to support after discovering the belt.

I've been singing for a bit over a year and a half now and I still have trouble hitting the G4 consistently with certain vowel sounds, but it is getting easier. I've hit up to B4 but never as part of a song, only through warmups, and A4 is completely hit or miss but it requires a good deal of effor to hit when trying to sing it as part of a line. Although I only learned the proper technique to hitting these notes about a year ago.

Point being, these notes are pretty damn tough to execute consistently and it'll take a good deal of work to be consistent when hitting them. Even then, range is a very small part of singing; you don't have to be Bruce Dickinson or Freddie Mercury to be a good singer. In your pursuit of range, don't neglect strengthening the lower notes.
Very valuable information, thanks guys!

Yesterday I practiced some singing again and I could hit that D4 better now. I sort of had to change the way I approached the note in my throat (if that makes sense). didn't hurt at all, though, still needs work !
Absolutely. You won't be hitting the higher notes the same way you do the comfortable ones.
Keep at it.
I suggest a good at least 10 minute warm-up for the voice before each voice training you do, and then try to support your voice with your diaphragm. That will give force to your voice and will help you hit the higher notes. But other than that practice, practice and practice.