*I am new here so if this is in the wrong area I am sorry!*

Hello fellow guitarists! U currently have a Peavy Bandit 112 Transtube amp and a Marshall Guvnor distortion pedal. I love both of them but the distortion on the Pedal dousn't sound as good as my amp (Setup down below). I don't know wether I have set it up wrong or not so please help. Thanks

Setup:
Guitar --> Pedal --> Amp

Then I have my Footswitch connected to the amp as well.

Thanks
You may just be doing it wrong. Distortion SHOULD come from the amp. Put the amp on the crunch or distortion channel (not lead but not clean) and turn the pedal on. Get the distortion on the pedal as low as possible and max the volume.

Basically, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^ **** where's the guy from, edinburgh?
His accent's killing me

Also, that's just my opinion, but I think what he played sounded better with the first setting...
Quote by Ybot321
I love both of them but the distortion on the Pedal dousn't sound as good as my amp (Setup down below). I don't know wether I have set it up wrong or not so please help. Thanks
The setup's fine.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you use the pedal if you think the amp sounds better on its own?

You could try boosting your amp with the pedal (gain very low, volume very high, tone to taste) and see how you like it, but if you don't like it just stick to the amp.

Also, lowering the gain helps usually.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at May 30, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
His accent's killing me

All I know is that he's Scottish. I think somewhere around Glasgow.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^ Yeah. I'm not that well up (at all) on scottish accents but I'm not sure I'd say that's an edinburgh accent. Definitely scottish, though. Maybe more south-west? Not sure. Just going by the fact it's a bit softer and the northern irish accent (well, some of them) isn't a million miles from that sort of south-west scotland accent.

also he's putting on a lot of silly accents in that vid as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's... actually a surprisingly good video. The accent also didn't bother me that much, because I'm American and all those European English accents all sound more or less the same to me anyway.

But, I'm going to vote for a new distortion pedal. To me, the Guvnor always seems to sound like a box of bees, and not in a good way. Though I've only ever played around with one in person, Youtube videos confirm it wasn't just that unit. It may have been the way to get a "Marshall" sound back in the 90s, but against modern pedals, even some sub-$100 pedals, it can't compete. I mean, the only thing I've read that gives the Guvnor a positive mention, beyond that it was made famous not for it's sound but because it was on the cover of a Gary Moore album, is from musicradar.com, but they also rated the DS-1 above the Klon Centaur in their top ten list or whatever, so I'm not too inclined to give much weight to their recommendation.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I like (most) scottish accents. It's way different from english accents. Granted you guys would say canadian is way different from US accents.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys, I think I am going for a new pedal. Had the Guvnor for too long!
If you like the amp distortion better then use it. Personally i far prefer an amp distortion, maybe boosted with overdrive depending on amp, over pedal distortions. Why do you want to use a standalone distortion pedal in the first place? Bandit has a ton of gain on its own.

I dont know how good Guvnor works as overdrive but you could also try to use it to help the amp distortion as instructed in the vid. So turn the gain on amp about hard rockish levels and then hammer it with pedal with gain really low and volume really high settings.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 30, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
His accent's killing me

Also, that's just my opinion, but I think what he played sounded better with the first setting...
The setup's fine.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you use the pedal if you think the amp sounds better on its own?

You could try boosting your amp with the pedal (gain very low, volume very high, tone to taste) and see how you like it, but if you don't like it just stick to the amp.

Also, lowering the gain helps usually.

I think the first setting sounded terrible but the "better setting" didn't sound that great either. I think it lacked some highs and it had too much mids. But I think that's because it was on its own. In a band situation I think it would have sounded good - and the video wasn't talking about bedroom tones. He was complaining about bands that scooped their mids live.

But yeah, I agree. TS, you don't need a distortion pedal. Your amp has a distortion channel for a reason. Many people don't use stand alone distortion pedals through completely clean channels. Of course this can also result in great tones. It's all about preference (and is really useful if you need many different kinds of distortion sounds). But you don't need a distortion pedal if your amp's distortion channel sounds good.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Ybot321
Thanks guys, I think I am going for a new pedal. Had the Guvnor for too long!
I always like getting new stuff and advising people to get new stuff, but are you sure that's really necessary?
I mean, if you like your amp's distortion, why not sticking to that?

Quote by Dave_Mc
I like (most) scottish accents. It's way different from english accents. Granted you guys would say canadian is way different from US accents.
I'd both say that a scottish accent is different from an english accent and that a canadian accent is different from a US accent.

For ****'s sake there even are lotsa US accents - having had two native tongue speakers coming from minnesota for my english class in school I can now tell it from every other english accent in the world.

Aaaaw **** how bad did these guys sound...

How 'bout you come here and get paid something like €1000 or so a month to talk about stuff with high school students who don't really know how to talk about stuff in english Dave?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

(a) I'd both say that a scottish accent is different from an english accent and that a canadian accent is different from a US accent.

(b) For ****'s sake there even are lotsa US accents - having had two native tongue speakers coming from minnesota for my english class in school I can now tell it from every other english accent in the world.

Aaaaw **** how bad did these guys sound...

(c) How 'bout you come here and get paid something like €1000 or so a month to talk about stuff with high school students who don't really know how to talk about stuff in english Dave?

(a) Agreed. The scottish one sounds a lot more different from english than canadian does from american, though, to my ears. (i realise there are a bunch of different english, scottish, american and canadian accents... i just mean the more generic/standard one)

I can (I think ) distinguish a pretty broad canadian accent from, say, the california type accent, or the southern accent easily enough. but if you asked me to differentiate say an ontario accent from michigan, I'm not so sure I could do it. I suppose the same would happen with scottish borders accents versus very northern english accents, though.

Whether that's the fact I'm more used to scottish/english or whether they are more different, I dunno. I'd say probably a bit of both- since the scottish accent originated as a "foreign" speaker's accent (and even since some speak more or less scots (and some of us do here in northern ireland as well, ulster scots) I'm guessing it's a fair bit different from english.

(b) agreed, there are definitely different USA accents. and presumably canadian too.

(c) hehe that assumes i know how to talk about stuff in english.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 31, 2014,