I needed an OD for a gain boost (by turning up level, not gain) on an already dirty channel and to cut bass/boost treble. First shootout was Hardwire CM-2 vs Bad Monkey. CM-2 won for better tone change and more gain on tap (Cm-2 with level at noon had more gain boost than the Bad Monkey full) to do what I needed, but I noticed it had a bit of a feedback. Next was CM-2 vs MXR Custom Badass OD to compare the Cm-2 to a different flavor of OD. The Custom Badass offered more clarity, had a bit more gain than the Bad Monkey, but not enough for what I needed. However, I noticed I liked the slightly more transparent tone of the Badass OD better (slight midhump on the CM2). So next was CM-2 vs Green Rhino. The Green Rhino provides equal amounts of gain boost, but the curve knob really made the difference. So for a gain boost, I suggest the Green Rhino due to its tonal versatility and ability to be transparent and not as noisy. But as a standalone (like, on a clean channel) pedal, I suggest the Hardwire Cm-2 because it has the most range of gain.

My next shootout was between the Big Muff Pi and Tone Wicker Muff. I wanted something with an actual 9V dc adapter slot (The battery snap wire for the BMP keeps coming out). The Big Muff Pi is brighter and louder (pure volume). But gain is "nearly" identical, so I haven't quite decided. Size isn't too big a deal.

Both shootouts were done with my Peavey VK212, with volume up high enough for a good sound quality. The first shootout had a Maiden tone, so tight bass, high mids, and high treble. I set each pedal to cut bass, boost treble, and boost level. Gain was at 0. I used my neck pickup (Hot Rails) throughout. The second shootout was on the clean channel; Bass and mids less than noon, treble around 5 or 6. Each muff had the gain cranked, then at noon (Smashing Pumpkins, then Black Sabbath tones).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 30, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo
cool but you don't make it very clear as to what you bought.

Yep, my bad. As of now I permanently bought the Green Rhino and Tone Wicker Big Muff. I already owned the Big Muff Pi before this. Everything else I bought to test out but returned them after they didn't work out.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Cool. I (foolishly) traded my TW Big Muff for a... I don't even remember, some MXR number that I quickly traded for a Big Muff Pi.

I regret getting rid of the Tone Wicker, that was a good pedal.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I like the wicker switch as a solo concept, since it puts you through the mix more, but I don't see myself using it rhythmically. You can't practically switch between the two either. I grabbed it to compare to my BMP because I heard it was closer tonally to the BMP than the Little big muff, and it was also the only muff my GC had. In general I just needed something as close as possible to an NYC muff with a 9 volt adapter slot. I just need to get my ears going so I can really tell the difference
So the Green Rhino is less noisy than the CM-2?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
So the Green Rhino is less noisy than the CM-2?

Yeah; for me, the Cm-2 made just a bit too much feedback. I had the level knobs relatively equal. I dialed in the boost I liked from the CM-2, equaled it with the Green Rhino, and found there was a bit more noise with the CM2. But the with the Green Rhino the ability to control the mid hump on top of lows and highs won me over (bigger factor than the noise).
thanks for the review i'm always interested in boost testing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want a cool Fuzz with a bit different flavor, check out the Rawkworks Eliora fuzz, it's on my short list
(Invalid img)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you want a cool Fuzz with a bit different flavor, check out the Rawkworks Eliora fuzz, it's on my short list
(Invalid img)

Is it based off any "classic" circuit (muff, fuzz face, tone bender, etc.)?

As far as fuzz's goes, I've been sticking to muffs lately. I'm gonna try the nano muff soon, then the deluxe big muff pi when it comes out. I might try around with a few of the boutique variants too; hoof, musket, colossus, etc.
I've got a green rhino and love it. Awesome tone, hardly any noise with my set up, but low end control is what sold me, because the two other od's I've had removed to much low end.
Quote by mcamp12302
I've got a green rhino and love it. Awesome tone, hardly any noise with my set up, but low end control is what sold me, because the two other od's I've had removed to much low end.

That's why I liked the four OD's I tried over the stock TS-9; the amount of bass I need to cut doesn't equal the amount of treble I need to add, so I needed separate knobs.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Is it based off any "classic" circuit (muff, fuzz face, tone bender, etc.)?

As far as fuzz's goes, I've been sticking to muffs lately. I'm gonna try the nano muff soon, then the deluxe big muff pi when it comes out. I might try around with a few of the boutique variants too; hoof, musket, colossus, etc.

Not that I'm aware of. but it is a great Fuzz that does not loose all the note definition that is related with a fuzz
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate