Quick question for singers...I can sing in pitch when i don't sing words...Like if i vocalize AHHHHUMMMMM i can feel the resonance with the chords that i am playing on guitar...but when I go to sing a word I go completely out of tune...

Has anyone experience this...Are there any exercises that someone can point me to?

thanks
Last edited by novellof at May 30, 2014,
well i can sing some words but a lot others are harder for some reason...like for example. I want to sing green days good riddance...but the first word "Another" is hard to sing in tune "G" for some reason
Two things:
If you do not know the lyrics 100%, you will have to think about them while also concentrating on being on pitch.
If your mother tongue is not english you'll also have to think about phrasing and pronouncing english words.
Both of these will probably worsen your pitch, because you have to concentrate on them as well.

I kinda have the same issue, but I'm not going completely out of tune. If you actually practice the song, it will become much less of a problem. People sometimes assume that singing a song does not need practice, but that is simply not true.
You also have to alternate vowel sounds when speaking sentences (ie. I believe all multi-syllabic words change vowel sounds), therefore you have to change the way your throat is closing multiple times per sentence, where if you're just singing one sound, you keep your throat in constant position.
Thanks guys I am white and from new york so english is my one and only language...I think it was what milan999 is saying the multiple syllables in the world is what is getting me.

Ill look for exercises for singing with multiple syllables.

Edit:

I cannot find anything on singing words in pitch with multiple vowels or syllables. This is difficult because I think there is a change of air pressure when annunciating words with multiple syllables.

Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by novellof at May 31, 2014,
Quote by Milan999
You also have to alternate vowel sounds when speaking sentences (ie. I believe all multi-syllabic words change vowel sounds), therefore you have to change the way your throat is closing multiple times per sentence, where if you're just singing one sound, you keep your throat in constant position.

Are there any exercises that i can practice?
I've actually never done exercises so I'm not sure. I just sing a wide range of songs and practice that way. Sorry man.
When you sing words, you sometimes widen or narrow your vowels. If you don't make the neccesary adjustments that will make sing slightly out of pitch.