I use a roland cube 40xl (I know that SS amps tend to be brighter than a tube amp) I even tried lowering the treble way down but it really dulls out the tone

I've tried various set ups on my guitar like lowering the pickups

I use an ibanez rg with Seymour Duncan invaders , these pickups have ceramics in them that probably contribute to the harsh pick attack sound

back to the question should I?

on a side note I will be buying a blackstar ht 5 m in a few months
Last edited by Guitarplayer452 at May 31, 2014,
I would use a smaller cap on your guitars tone pot and then turn the tone knob down. Humbuckers use a 500pf cap and it really deadens the sound. Try a 250pf cap (normal for single coil pickups) or even a 100pf cap. I accidentally use a 10pf cap on my tele bride hard wired from hot to ground to get rid of inaudible frequencies and tame top end without having a significant effect on the rest of the tone. Ceramic caps only cost about 10 cents so it won't break the bank to try a few values (250, 120, 50ish, 25ish, and 10ish) and figure out what works.

Otherwise you can buy a pedal. My favorite EQ pedal is the MXR 10 band. At $120 (or 120 quid in the UK) is much cheaper to spend a few cents on a couple capacitors.
Not taking any online orders.
Why not just be patient & wait until you can afford a better amp?

You obviously aren't gigging considering your current setup and what you have is perfectly adequate for a practice amp. Spending money now on pedals you may not need in the future is a potential waste of money.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the HT5 you're considering in the future either, I'd buy a real amp...but that's a question for a whole other thread.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yes I just play it as a serious hobby really, I think the ht5 is good for my needs unless you can recommend another one around the same price range? and btw what makes a "real" amp then?
Quote by GaryBillington
Why not just be patient & wait until you can afford a better amp?.

because 10 cents is a reasonable price to pay for better tone now.
Quote by Guitarplayer452
yes I just play it as a serious hobby really, I think the ht5 is good for my needs unless you can recommend another one around the same price range? and btw what makes a "real" amp then?

The HT series are hybrids, not full tube. Obviously that doesn't mean you might not like them, but as you're talking about the sound of a tube amp it's worth noting that they aren't real tube amps.

Quote by CorduroyEW
because 10 cents is a reasonable price to pay for better tone now.
But EQ pedals don't cost 10 cents....

Just throwing the suggestion out there really. Spending the money on what might be a quick fix for the short term could make it more of a medium to long term solution as that money could have been put aside towards the cost of the amp which will inevitably be purchased in the future. Better to start with buying a good amp, then if necessary get any required pedals. Buying pedals for an amp you are replacing just seems a waste to me

BTW - I know your suggestion wasn't a pedal and was cheaper, but I was just responding to the OP & providing an alternate suggestion.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at May 31, 2014,
Quote by GaryBillington
But EQ pedals don't cost 10 cents....

But this can be fixed without an EQ pedal. Like I said in earlier posts, a capacitor on the volume or tone pot can EQ your tone without the need of an EQ pedal. A ceramic capacitor only cost 10 to 20 cents plus shipping so you can get many MANY values to experiment with without spending much money.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 31, 2014,
Like I said, I know your suggestion wasn't a pedal & was significantly cheaper, I was just throwing another alternative out there to the original question. I didn't say your idea wouldn't work, just that the pedal idea might not be the best answer....its a fairly siginificant investment to what is probably only a temporary issue. That's why I was recommending NOT spending the amount of money a pedal would cost.

I think we're agreeing that the original question wasnt the right answer, just in different ways
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^then why quote me and say pedals cost more than 10 cents? I realize you negated everything you said in response to me but then why quote me at all? If you disagree then cowboy up. If you agree then just do it. If what I said has nothing to do with what you have to say then don't bring it up at all, especially if it seems that you are trying to make me look foolish by insinuating that I think pedals only cost 10 cents.
Ditch the Invaders, they punch your SS amp in the nuts and destroy the chances of getting good sounds from a decent little amp. In my experiences with solid state amps, using a medium high powered pickup in 350-375 Mv range will get you a better set of sounds. I've messed around with those invaders and it is my opinion that they are one of the worst pick ups ever made. If you do like the invaders, then you need an amp that can handle the large amount of output that the invader has. You will probably have the same issues even with the HT-5, ceramic magnet, overwound ppickups are hard to use . They are meant to go balls out, nothing more, and it is useless to try to do anything other than that with them.
Last edited by stringDIA at May 31, 2014,
Quote by CorduroyEW
^then why quote me and say pedals cost more than 10 cents? I realize you negated everything you said in response to me but then why quote me at all? If you disagree then cowboy up. If you agree then just do it. If what I said has nothing to do with what you have to say then don't bring it up at all, especially if it seems that you are trying to make me look foolish by insinuating that I think pedals only cost 10 cents.

Erm...because you quoted me saying pedals don't cost 10 cents!

My original reply had nothing to do with your original reply, but you quoted me anyway. I was merely quoting you in reply to you quoting me.

I didn't negate any of my original post, I just pointed out that my post had nothing to do with your post.

I don't think either of our quotes to each other are particularly useful to the thread, as we were both making very different points about not buying a pedal, which we seem to agree on. Both of our suggestions are valid, and both essentially tell OP not to buy a pedal.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Why not just be patient & wait until you can afford a better amp?

You obviously aren't gigging considering your current setup and what you have is perfectly adequate for a practice amp. Spending money now on pedals you may not need in the future is a potential waste of money.

Seconded. All the pedals in the world can't replace a good amp and a good set of pickups. Take care of that now, and you'll be in good shape.

Find a combination of amp/pickups that when you plug that guitar in dry, you're on the verge of creaming your pants.
Quote by GaryBillington
Erm...because you quoted me saying pedals don't cost 10 cents

context is important. I didn't say pedals cost ten cents I asked they question why buy a pedal or amp if the problem can be fixed for 10 cents. Iwas responding dirctly to your pst about sucking it up till you get a new amp which is whyI qoted you. I don't quote for no reason. In this case I quoted you because I disagree with your outlook that a fix means getting a new amp

sorry for misspelling and punctuation i did this post on my vita and it won't let me correct it
Last edited by CorduroyEW at May 31, 2014,
Quote by CorduroyEW
context is important. I didn't say pedals cost ten cents I asked they question why buy a pedal or amp if the problem can be fixed for 10 cents. Iwas responding dirctly to your pst about sucking it up till you get a new amp which is whyI qoted you. I don't quote for no reason. In this case I quoted you because I disagree with your outlook that a fix means getting a new amp

sorry for misspelling and punctuation i did this post on my vita and it won't let me correct it

Yes, context is important. And nowhere in the context of my original post did I say anything about your idea. They were completely separate suggestions and had nothing to do with each other, therefore your comment about my suggestion was pointless.

And remember, TS said he was getting a new amp anyway - I just suggested making sure he gets the right amp, which is always the first step towards achieving the tone you require. Anything he does before that is a temporary fix. Yes, your temporary fix is cheaper than a pedal, but it may still be something he needs to undo (or at least do differently) when he gets the right amp.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at May 31, 2014,
Quote by CorduroyEW
I would use a smaller cap on your guitars tone pot and then turn the tone knob down. Humbuckers use a 500pf cap and it really deadens the sound. Try a 250pf cap (normal for single coil pickups) or even a 100pf cap. I accidentally use a 10pf cap on my tele bride hard wired from hot to ground to get rid of inaudible frequencies and tame top end without having a significant effect on the rest of the tone. Ceramic caps only cost about 10 cents so it won't break the bank to try a few values (250, 120, 50ish, 25ish, and 10ish) and figure out what works.

Otherwise you can buy a pedal. My favorite EQ pedal is the MXR 10 band. At $120 (or 120 quid in the UK) is much cheaper to spend a few cents on a couple capacitors.

Not sure where your getting you info but humbuckers typically use .022uf and single coils .047uf capacitors. 500pf and 250pf caps are used for treble bleed caps.
Last edited by mcamp12302 at May 31, 2014,

I'm sorry , but this makes no sense. And how do you know if you're getting rid of inaudible frequencies if you can't hear them to start with?
I guess my problem mostly is playing different style of music with pick ups that's really meant to be used for metal never mind its so high output that it lacks dynamic range , hell I might put in the stock pick ups that came with it back !

I'm not going to buy the equalizer pedal and invest in a good amp instead though I'm not quite sure what to get as getting a head and cab wouldn't really go in my price range never mind the pedals that I might want to get if Im still not satisfied
Quote by mcamp12302
Not sure where your getting you info but humbuckers typically use .022uf and single coils .047uf capacitors. 500pf and 250pf caps are used for treble bleed caps.

He mixed up cap values for pot values. (500k, 250k)
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think EQ pedals are awesome. So many uses. I doubt you'll find many pros that don't one on their board. An EQ pedal + amp eq can cover A LOT of shaping possibilities.

I can use it with my strat to fatten it up. With my Les Paul for a lead boost to just boost mids (without having to add volume). Can throw it in the loop to EQ after the preamp. Make guitars with bad sounding pickups sound very acceptable. Playing in a cover band and trying to cop tones from different bands? More EQ is always useful then. I've also known people to use an eq out front and in the loop.

The you don't need an eq pedal if you have the right amp argument is totally off base. There are many uses for it even with the right amp.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 2, 2014,
Quote by Guitarplayer452
I use a roland cube 40xl (I know that SS amps tend to be brighter than a tube amp) I even tried lowering the treble way down but it really dulls out the tone

I've tried various set ups on my guitar like lowering the pickups

I use an ibanez rg with Seymour Duncan invaders , these pickups have ceramics in them that probably contribute to the harsh pick attack sound

1. SS amps do not tend to be brighter than a tube amp.
2. Ceramic magnets don't contribute to harsh pick attack sound. The only thing ceramic magnets do is allow a pickup designer to have greater magnetic flux with a same-size or smaller magnet. Often cheaper, too,than Alnico magnets and definitely cheaper than neodymium. That's why they often show up on hotter pickups.
3. Seymour Duncan Invaders have never been my favorite pickup (I rarely swap pickups, but I pulled Invaders out of a custom-built Flying V and replaced them with Tom Andersons almost immediately upon getting the guitar).
4. A 10-band EQ pedal like the MX-100 is probably a good experiment. Put it immediately after your pickups.
5. You have a treble rolloff (it's incorrectly called a "tone") pot on your guitar. Give that a shot, too.