Page 1 of 4
Okay first let me say that I understand the need for Satanic Imagery as a counter to common culture or whatever, but to me it seems that it has become very stagnate and has actually become the norm for metal and after all metal is all about going against the norm. All you have to do is look at a lot of so-called black metal bands to see exactly what I'm talking about.

Personally I feel that Satanism is as dumb as Christianity and not at all necessary to express the true Nihilistic nature of metal. So I'm interested to know what other "metalheads" think about it, is it a contributing factor to the stagnation of the scene or an integral part of the music that cannot be done without?
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at May 31, 2014,
I really really hope so. It's so childish.

"HAILSATANLOLOLOLOLOL"

As much as I really enjoyed the new Behemoth album on a musical level, the lyrics were a cheese fest of bullshit.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 31, 2014,
The way you put it sounds like every metal band on this planet sings about satanism.
I'm absolutely okay with the whole satanic thing in the black metal thing.
I think most of these bands use it more as a kind of artistic expression, than a real religious kinda thing.
Also don't confuse satanism with devil worshipping. Problem is devil worshippers call themselves satanists. Modern satanists are atheists who call the archetype of man ''satan'', so basically everybody can be Satan by being ''perfect''. Read some sh*t about LaVeys' satanism, yo.
But that's not the point.
I think it's just as good as any other topic or thing you can do to have a kind of artistic expression of your music and your lyrics.
Just as thrash metal bands often usw this camouflage fashion and war topics for their stuff. It's just a way give your stuff a visual and lyrical concept.
Of course there are a few bands actually trying to connect to the ''devil'' but well, bullsh*t is a universal language, you know.
Error 404 - Signature not available.
Last edited by Oh_My_Goth at May 31, 2014,
Satanism either theistic or not is still tired and played the **** out. I have no problems with the old school black metal bands who did it back when it was fresh. Now it's just cliche and boring. Also Laveyan Satanism is commonly frowned upon and regarded as utter bullshit in metal circles yo.
I don't know any bands that use satanic imagery except maybe Slayer. So I don't see how it's cliche. Maybe cliche in pop culture.
Anti-Christianism is one of the defining characteristics of black metal. Take away satan/paganism/misanthropy and it's no longer called black metal.
Equating paganism with satanism is a christian point of view, which makes it invalid. Also trying to express anti religious views with a deity is just dumb and hypocritical.It's kind of like saying hey you cannot express dark emotions and world views without SATAN! To me Satan is as ******ed as the Easter bunny and Santa Clause
@TS: You ask for peoples opinions and then bash every single one of them. If you just want people to confirm your point of view, name this thread ,, be against satanism and shit in metal or die!'' otherwise read what they have to say, think about it and shut up.
Quote by Oh_My_Goth
@TS: You ask for peoples opinions and then bash every single one of them. If you just want people to confirm your point of view, name this thread ,, be against satanism and shit in metal or die!'' otherwise read what they have to say, think about it and shut up.

QFT.
And I think that Blindside is probably quite aware of the differences between Theistic and non-Theistic Satanism. Your arguments against him are basically "you seem to know nothing about metal because I'm assuming that your assuming all bands sing about Satan" and "People can do what they like"

Which aren't really arguments.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
This thread is stupid and you should feel bad for making such a stupid thread TS.

By making this thread you're basically saying that the metal stereotype of skulls, satanism, death etc is true.

You sound like someone who doesn't actually listen to metal commenting on what they see as metal and it's irritating.

Don't get me wrong I don't listen to that much metal these days but your view on metal is extremely outdated, I think only black and death metal bands really uses that imagery and even then it's hardly that prominent.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by Oh_My_Goth

I see your point . I was wanting more of a discussion about the next evolution of metal though than one about Satanism itself.
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Wow really? Do you even listen to metal then? Besides Slayer I mean?

I do, that makes one of us.
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
I see your point . I was wanting more of a discussion about the next evolution of metal though than one about Satanism itself.

I see, you probably could have been a little more precise on that, sorry for sh*tting on your head then.
( Still - I think the whole satanism thing is kind of a part of something as an evolution. As I stated it, I see it as an artistic expression and it will be outdated as soon as there is something more ''extreme'' that you can adapt for your performances )
Last edited by Oh_My_Goth at May 31, 2014,
Quote by Oh_My_Goth
I see, you probably could have been a little more precise on that, sorry for sh*tting on your head then.
( Still - I think the whole satanism thing is kind of a part of something as an evolution. As I stated it, I see it as an artistic expression and it will be outdated as soon as there is something more ''extreme'' that you can adapt for your performances )

Oh it is definitely a form of expression, but what I was wanting to know is, do we really need it to express the darker side of humanity? It seems to have become counter productive and is basically just a fad among most new bands that I see. My view is that it is already outdated and no longer serves a useful purpose. Like ChemicalFire said, Childish.
Quote by Juice Face
I do, that makes one of us.

So I'm curious to know what metal bands to you listen to?
Quote by ProgFripp74

You sound like someone who doesn't actually listen to metal

I don't listen to that much metal

You don't make any sense. **** off
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
So I'm curious to know what metal bands to you listen to?

Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Deep Purple, and more.
Quote by Juice Face
Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Deep Purple, and more.

So I guess that makes you an authority on the use of Satanic Imagery in metal music then?

That is pretty entry level stuff man.

\m/RIP DIME\m/
If a person actually HAS Satanic belief then fine whatever, but it's a fad now. As with everything the impact and importance has been lost of watered down shock value for bands with the philosophical depth of a puddle of chunky vomit. Mainly by Deathcore kids and other equally ******ed modern metal fans.

Since Theistic Satanism is dumb, talking about Satan as a being in music is equally as dumb. You can talk about LeVay's principles without invoking a counter productive and hypocritical symbol.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 31, 2014,
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
So I guess that makes you an authority on the use of Satanic Imagery in metal music then?

\m/RIP DIME\m/

And you are?
If we take Satan out of metal then we will have all this shitty prog nonsense going around. I would rather hail the Dark Lord than songs about how cute planets are.
You list a ream of entry level, non-satanic bands. Blindside has a long history of listening to underground metal... hell you make even ME look "true".

There is no absolute authority on this (though if Steve was still about he'd probably claim it was him) but Blindside has easily more authority than you do.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
It's part of a jewish conspiracy to take away the legitimacy of metal music as art

e.g. a band that employs Satanic imagery in their act will get identified as metal even if they don't actually play metal and instead play tricked out arena rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o34uAj6lmXw
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at May 31, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
You list a ream of entry level, non-satanic bands. Blindside has a long history of listening to underground metal... hell you make even ME look "true".

There is no absolute authority on this (though if Steve was still about he'd probably claim it was him) but Blindside has easily more authority than you do.

Being a hipster doesn't give you validation or authority.
No but experience does. He simply has more experience of the genre than you. Nothing to do with liking obscure music at all.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire

Guess im a false now

Quote by The Wildchild
It's a jewish conspiracy to take away the legitimacy of metal music as art

Agreed!
what metal band's songs still feature satan as a prominent character? lyrics have become more subtle about it, i think.

and plenty of bands actually have moved on from mentioning satan or anything he represents at all...you're certainly not the first to see the paradox of wanting to stay away from all norms by creating a new norm.

maybe i'm not being fair because when i do see an overtly satanic band like Watain, i tend to dismiss their lyrics as cheesy and so i'm not "counting" them because who cares about Watain lyrics?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at May 31, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
No but experience does. He simply has more experience of the genre than you. Nothing to do with liking obscure music at all.

Music isn't a competition to gain "experience" in. It's for the sake of enjoyment. You listen to what you like, just because something you like is popular, or obscure, that doesn't mean anything, really.
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Guess im a false now

Yeah my sentence structure was a little off I feel.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
"Oh I'm so true metal I listen to these underground bands. You listen to entry-level bands so your argument is invalid" That's what you make yourself sound like.

Dear lord, why have you forsaken me?
I listened to all kinds of stuff
From Dimmu Borgir, Carcass, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Hypocrisy and Arch Enemy
I guess that's considered entry-level metal cause these bands are easy to find and are/were on recognizable labels and had enough fame to make them easy to find.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
I guess that's considered entry-level metal cause these bands are easy to find and are/were on recognizable labels and had enough fame to make them easy to find.

Yes.
Though one could argue that one first has to be metal in order to be considered entry-level metal, which may not apply to all of the bands listed
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by Juice Face
Music isn't a competition to gain "experience" in. It's for the sake of enjoyment. You listen to what you like, just because something you like is popular, or obscure, that doesn't mean anything, really.

I never said it was. I'm just saying that you're experience of satanic and underground metal is limited compared to other peoples on this forum, meaning that you know less about those things.

If you don't like those bands that's cool. I'm not saying you're any less of a metal fan for not liking somethings and liking others. Not saying that at all. Just saying that, on this subject, you have a rather limited pool of information to draw on. It'd be liking writing an essay on classical Gothic horror having only read Frankenstein.

And I like Pop Punk, hardcore and Djent... I am hardly true.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Sakke

I listened to all kinds of stuff
From Dimmu Borgir, Carcass, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Hypocrisy and Arch Enemy

Exactly...for ****s sake who are you people? It's like I turned the lights on in a roach infested apartment. Scurry little roaches.
Quote by ChemicalFire
I never said it was. I'm just saying that you're experience of satanic and underground metal is limited compared to other peoples on this forum, meaning that you know less about those things.

If you don't like those bands that's cool. I'm not saying you're any less of a metal fan for not liking somethings and liking others. Not saying that at all. Just saying that, on this subject, you have a rather limited pool of information to draw on. It'd be liking writing an essay on classical Gothic horror having only read Frankenstein.

And I like Pop Punk, hardcore and Djent... I am hardly true.

If one surrounds themselves in an environment full of satanic type metal, that's what they're gonna get, that is why I don't see satanic music as some rampant force that metal needs to transcend.
Page 1 of 4