I need some help with some non-boring ways to write. I can create introductions and closings and several other pieces that sound okay to me but they all seem to be boring or overused methods or just very basic. Any advice on how to improve this to a more interesting sound?

By the way, I'm going for a Thrash sound in standard tuning.
It's hard to write thrash without sounding generic. There was lots of thrash metal music in the 80s and pretty much all the cliches were used back then so it's hard to avoid them - they are really part of the sound. So if you are after a thrash sound, you shouldn't worry about sounding generic because you pretty much will.

If you want something more fresh sounding, you shouldn't trying to write into a genre. What I mean with this is that you shouldn't try to write thrash metal. You should just write music and not care that much about the genres. That's how new sounding music is born. You have your influences and do something new with them. Of course you can analyze your favorite music and see what makes you like the music you like. But I wouldn't try to fit a genre. That will kind of limit you.

I mean, when thrash metal was "invented", people didn't first write the "rules" of that subgenre. They just started writing music they liked, just a bit faster and heavier, and a new subgenre was born.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 31, 2014,
Have you checked out some more "progressive" Thrash bands? Vektor, Voivod, Believer, Anacrusis's "Screams and Whispers" and "Manic Impressions" (neither are really Thrash but the influence is obviously there), Extol's album "Synergy" (their other stuff is good too but it's not Thrash), Watchtower's "Control and Resistance"?

Listen to bands like that, and then analyze their songs. Example: Voivid uses a lot of "unexpected" chords in their riffs and such. Try to find other "non-generic" or "non-boring" things these other bands do.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 1, 2014,
Yeah, by no means don't ditch the thrash sound if you like it. But if you want to write "pure thrash", you are not likely going to write anything that sounds fresh. You can use your thrash influence and make something new with it. Take the thrash elements you like and use them in your music.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I've heard and like Believer, I'm just not able to get any of their albums at the moment. Tourniquet is another one I like. I'll look into some of the bands you mentioned.

I've recorded what I was working with and uploaded it as an MP3. It's on my profile as 'Ideas'
Last edited by Nick_s_1 at Jun 1, 2014,