Hi Guys,

So for example, if you play the D Chord, you only play the bottom 4 strings, and don't strum the top 2. My question is, how would you do both down and up strokes(preferably at a fast pace) without striking those strings which are not meant to be played? Whenever I do upstrokes, I accidentally hit them, and for repeated downstrokes, I have a hard time finding my way back to the correct string for another strum.

Thanks
i arch my thumb over the neck to dampen them usually. In fact i do that with pretty much all chords that need muting of the E and/or A string.
Judging from the things you're saying you haven't been playing long, if that's the case don't worry about it too much; keep practicing and be aware of what you're trying to do and it'll come in time.

Another option is to wrap your thumb over the top of the neck and mute at least the low E string; you don't need to worry about the A so much at least because it's part of the chord so playing it won't mess up the harmony at least.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try muting with my thumb, also just keep practicing(you're right; I'm still really new).
I'd practice playing it slowly and concentrate on hitting the right strings, After not too long it'll become second nature.Atleast that's how i did it many moons ago.
Pretty standard problem for beginners. It'll just iron itself out over time once you realise that you actually dislike the sound of the open E and A strings in the chord and consequently begin making a conscious effort to avoid them. It'll happen once you gain a little more picking hand control.
You can still hit the A string as D consists of D F#A. The best way to not hit the E and eventually the A is to practice just strumming the bottom 4 strings open with, up strokes and down strokes, whilst muting the top 2 strings, eventually you should be able to do this without hitting the muted strings.
hello i am a beginner when it comes to playing guitar my friend advised that i learn g chord on guitar first because it is the easiest. iz she correct?
hello i am a beginner when it comes to playing guitar my friend advised that i learn g chord on guitar first because it is the easiest. iz she correct?

It might be a good idea to start your own thread, you might get better results that way.

As far as I remember, the only one hard to master was the F chord. I would suggest trying to learn 3 chords, and learn a simple song. If you're going for G, go ahead and work on C and D and find a simple song in G you can start working with. The sooner you can play a song, as opposed to just playing chords, the sooner your interest will peak and you might stick with it longer and not give up due to lack of progress.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
It might be a good idea to start your own thread, you might get better results that way.

As far as I remember, the only one hard to master was the F chord. I would suggest trying to learn 3 chords, and learn a simple song. If you're going for G, go ahead and work on C and D and find a simple song in G you can start working with. The sooner you can play a song, as opposed to just playing chords, the sooner your interest will peak and you might stick with it longer and not give up due to lack of progress.

Agree with this. Find a song you like in the key of G that uses just 3 chords. Learn to play (and maybe sing) along. When I learnt open chords many years ago I actually made my own song with lyrics.