Ok so this Tyler gave me this bass as payment for a car battery, and after talking to his father I found out that it is a 1957 bass that Tyler's grandfather bought new. however nobody can seem to recall what kind of bass it is in fact it was presumed to be a Fender because of the case it was in. this is what I do know for fact

• It is a 1957 Bass
  • it has a single coil pickup with two magnets on the back and the gold part is a thin strip of aluminum
  • there is a sticker that I asume had a serial number on the back of the headstock that is unreadable
  • 3 diffrent music shops and nobody can give me more info

and last on the neck plate it says made in china
Here are some pictures I really hope somebody can help :
Attachments:
DSC03139.JPG
DSC03141.JPG
DSC03152.JPG
DSC03147.JPG
DSC03151.JPG
First off, are you sure it's from 1957? Were you just told that, and if so, do you trust that that information is accurate?

Secondly I can tell you straight off that it isn't any kind of Fender.

It looks like one of the many varieties of cheap imported Japanese basses that were available back then. At the time, Japan was the country producing the cheap import instruments in the guitar world, with a lot of near-copyright-infringing knockoffs and some really whacky interpretations of other company's designs. There were a lot of brand names (Teisco being one of the more famous ones for example) and you can often find examples of similar or identical instruments that came from the same factory with different brand names on them depending on who imported them. Some brands and models were imported by department stores as cheap mail-order instruments.

What you have is likely something along those lines. Usually examples are from the 1960's or 1970's. In any case, it could be very difficult to nail it down to a particular brand since sometimes they were made without labels on the headstock, or it was a cheap decal that came off over time. Same goes for serial numbers. So unless someone has seen this particular model before and can put a name to it, I doubt you're going to get a really solid identification.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Uhh... The neck plate says that it's made in Japan TS, as Tostitos has pointed out.
Quote by Tostitos

What you have is likely something along those lines. Usually examples are from the 1960's or 1970's. In any case, it could be very difficult to nail it down to a particular brand since sometimes they were made without labels on the headstock, or it was a cheap decal that came off over time. Same goes for serial numbers. So unless someone has seen this particular model before and can put a name to it, I doubt you're going to get a really solid identification.

Yeah, this is what I think too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

well upon taking it apart you can see that the neck pocket was routed out but the part of the neck that slides into it was hand chiseled to fit. its really a weird guitar. and the tuners are impossible to find as far as i can tell cuz i have been looking for over a year and no guitar shop i have been to has even seen tuners like it. I imagine if i have one somebody els must.
and i am positive its a 57 he bought it when he was in Vietnam in about his early 20's. the date i am positive on

First off, are you sure it's from 1957? Were you just told that, and if so, do you trust that that information is accurate?
^ You are sure it was in 1957 when he was "in about his early 20s". Doesn't sound really accurate to me.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
and i am positive its a 57 he bought it when he was in Vietnam in about his early 20's. the date i am positive on

The first 100 troops were sent to Vietnam, by President Kennedy, in 1961. unless his grandpa was a military adviser he was not in VN in '57.

I agree with the previous reply it looks like a generic japanese cheap bass from the mid-60s.
one of my mates has the same bass (- the bridge cover, there's some serrious screws under there his is also just a rebranded kent )

If I recall correctly they're mid 60's Japanese Guyatone/teisco
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???