Greetings;

After fighting with my former bank a month, I've finally finished transferring to a new one. So my money isn't scattered and tied up. So I went to guitar center and was playing an Alvarez acoustic with a solid Mahogany top, lam mahogany back and sides IIRC.

Alvarez AD660ESB

I've found few reviews of this, or alvarez guitars, in general, so I thought I'd get some opinions. I'm not really in the market, but I like to sound of a Mahogany topped guitar, and this one is fairly inexpensive. I play a bit of Blues, some folk and rock. Mostly focusing on rock right now in my writing. Pick or side of thumb mostly, though I did write a fingerstyle piece earlier today I may use for something. I'm not very good at fingerstyle though.

Of course, on the other hand there's a damaged Yamaha FG730S there as well for less than a FG700 price.

Not sure I'll bite, but I'd still like to get opinions on it. Thanks.
Last edited by azrael4h at May 31, 2014,
I've had an Alvarez Artist 5020 for almost a decade and its held up pretty well. I got it used too. Ive had a few acoustics over the years and imo Alvarez is on par with Yamaha, but a lil pricier (which evens out if you resell it down the road). (Consider resale value with the "damaged" Yamaha in your evaluation too.) I'd say get whichever one you like better at the time.

DISCLAIMER! : I don't use an acoustic often and my go to is an old silvertone toy with painted on fret markers. My opinion is sincere but I have very little authority on acoustics.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Not an acoustic, but I have an Alvarez Dana Scoop and it's a very well built guitar. Super low action and awesome neck access (obviously). I'm not crazy on the active pickup, but eh.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
They are good build quality and reasonably priced. They tend be at least as good as brands like Seagull and A and L.
Not taking any online orders.
The guitar you have linked has an, "african mahogany", top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaya

Sapele is also loosely classified as "African mahogany". These are different species from classic mahogany, which is a south american hardwood.

I don't know how much that matters with respect to tone. Who knows, they might be better sounding. So, I just posted on an FYI basis.
I have an Alvarez AD60 and its one of the best sounding and feeling acoustics I have played including Martins and Gibson. Awesome feel,build quality and price your looking for in a solid wood acoustic. Very easy to play as well. Definitely give the Alvarez a try, you won't be sorry.
Quote by Captaincranky
The guitar you have linked has an, "african mahogany", top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaya

Sapele is also loosely classified as "African mahogany". These are different species from classic mahogany, which is a south american hardwood.

I don't know how much that matters with respect to tone. Who knows, they might be better sounding. So, I just posted on an FYI basis.

Well, sound is subjective, but I did like the tone of the Alvarez. It actually would complement my cedar-topped Takamine nicely, should I ever get around to recording, and learn to sing slightly less horribly than I do currently. Which shouldn't be hard to do, it's not like I can sing much worse. :P

*sigh* If only I wasn't trying to stick to some semblance of a budget.
I had an Alvarez for over twenty years...loved it. Would still have it if an ex-wife hadn't grabbed it out of our apartment and tried to hold it up for ransom (trying to make me give her cash she didn't deserve. G'ah!)

I remember it fondly as an easy picker... good looking, chorded well and held it's tune very well. It had a nice tone too. Heck, thinking about it's got me in the mood to get another, and since was going to snag another guitar anyway, I'll likely go with an Alvarez.
Quote by Beowolff
...[ ].....Heck, thinking about it's got me in the mood to get another, and since was going to snag another guitar anyway, I'll likely go with an Alvarez.
Well, I suppose it would be alright to buy another Alvarez, just as long as you're not doing it to spite your ex....
Quote by Captaincranky
Well, I suppose it would be alright to buy another Alvarez, just as long as you're not doing it to spite your ex....

That sounds like a good reason to do it to me. :P
well that settles it. Beowolff gets the alvarez, picks up azreal4h along they way to the ex's house and plays barry manilow songs up-tempo while Azrael sings !!!!
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
well that settles it. Beowolff gets the alvarez, picks up azreal4h along they way to the ex's house and plays barry manilow songs up-tempo while Azrael sings !!!!

Only if we swing by my ex-wife's place afterwards.
Quote by azrael4h
Only if we swing by my ex-wife's place afterwards.
Actually, you should "swing by her place" first, and take her with you to Beowolf's ex's place.

That term, "swing", was that a Freudian slip?
You're out of luck there. I'm fairly certain no one is as nuts as my ex. Except her mother. They'd find both our bodies minus some internal organs in a ditch somewhere along 81.

She was/is hot though. I haven't seen her in a few years but she probably still is.
Quote by azrael4h

She was/is hot though. I haven't seen her in a few years but she probably still is.

the craziest ones usually are...sigh...
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
I went through a dark period in my life when I thought all girls named, "Debbie" were insane. To be fair, every one I met seemed unstable. I never disproved that to myself, I just started avoiding them. Who knows,perhaps Debbies were responsible for the miserable curmudgeon that stands before you today.

Anyway, on a lighter note, "Happy Fathers Day", you know who you all are.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 15, 2014,
^^^ Amazing. I've only known 'one' Debbie in my whole life... and 'she' was crazy as hell too! Go figure! You might be on to something Cap!

@ azrael4h, ah...yeah, man... that bit about ditches and missing internal organs... I think I gotta' pass (for now) on the hook up. Your ex sounds 'too' much like my own.

But, as Cap said... happy Father's Day to all the dads here!
Quote by Captaincranky
I went through a dark period in my life when I thought all girls named, "Debbie" were insane. To be fair, every one I met seemed unstable. I never disproved that to myself, I just started avoiding them. Who knows,perhaps Debbies were responsible for the miserable curmudgeon that stands before you today.

Anyway, on a lighter note, "Happy Fathers Day", you know who you all are.

I don't think I've ever met a woman who wasn't a little unbalanced in some way or another. I think it's part of the package deal.

I can only think of one Debbie, and she's friendly enough, but one of those people who always watched everything within viewing distance. She's also living across the street. So at least if some one strange shows up, and I'm not home, the cops will be called. So not necessarily sane, but not evil either.

She also wasn't thrilled when I blew the valve cover off a 350 V8. To be fair, neither was I. I couldn't hear out of one ear for a week. I think she thought I was blowing stuff up for fun.

Quote by Beowolff

@ azrael4h, ah...yeah, man... that bit about ditches and missing internal organs... I think I gotta' pass (for now) on the hook up. Your ex sounds 'too' much like my own.

Are you sure? I'm almost 90% certain they end up on the black market, and not on a dinner table. :P