My apologies if there is already a thread for this, I did check but didn't seem to find one.

I've moved house recently, and instead of having my gear scattered across different rooms I now have a little project studio. So I've been building this the last couple of months, still a lot of work to go and acoustic treatment needed but it's getting there, check it out

Panorama:

Guitar pedals, amp, telecaster, sh*t bass, Cascade Fathead **:

More Guitars:

KRK (L), Focusrite 18i20, SM58:

KRK (R), iMac, Novation Launchkey, Se2000a:

** this is my most recent purchase and its an absolute beast, although I can't really use it in my studio because of acoustics, sounds great in my hall and at rehearsal space for band practice

Would be good to see what spaces other have to work in, I know when there used to be a thread for this there was a lot of college and uni studios posted, these are cool too, but I'd love to see others project studios
Last edited by EatShreddies at Jun 1, 2014,
Good idea to try and inspire some activity here and see some cool pics, will have to tidy mine up a bit before I take any pics though
Hey, look. Sigs are back.

(control room)

(live room)

(rack)

(instruments)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jun 2, 2014,
your rack looks a beast, what have you got on there?

I've only my interface on mine for the time being, want to get a headphone amp for tracking my band all together to a click and some compression to go on there
Pretty lean, really.

Two Behringer headphone amps.
Interface - Steinberg MR816X
Behringer ADA8000 - in case I need a few extra channels.
Mic pre - Universal Audio UA-710

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

All my compression is done in the box.

I had a rackmount compressor back when we recorded at 16 bits and levels on the input side were harder to manage. Once I went 24 bit, it became entirely redundant.

CT

Layout changes slightly from time to time (second monitor was a waste, never used it, so now it's in the closet), but here's the last time I took pics about 8 months ago:

And an example of what we do with the studio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwrQykUXkU
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
one of the best things Ive ever done was sold my rp5s, one of the other best things ive done was sell my rp8s.

I went direct with all the guitar parts on my album. Vocal booth was the closet padded with harbor freight moving blankets and a mic from target, no stand, stapled the mic cable to the ceiling.

http://youtu.be/3KH5qDvL5bk
Last edited by siksenserecords at Jun 14, 2014,
1) what monitors are you using now (can't see any)

2) you used a cheap, no-name mic from Target (they're a hardware chain or something?) for vocals? Interesting choice, any reason?

3) what interface(s) are you using?

Sorry, the pic is quite blurry and grainy so struggling to make details out lol.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Target is an American discount department store roughly in the same vein as WalMart. They recently came into Canada and bought out one of our chains. All of the existing employees were offered nothing more than "the opportunity to apply" for their old job. If they were the "successful" candidate, they still lost all seniority, what little benefits they had, and were knocked right back down to minimum wage. I've personally never set foot in one.

I do have a philosophy that every mic is good at something. You'll always hear about such-and-such a mic, followed by something like, "It sounded fantastic on harmonica", or "it really brought out the bite of the muted trombone." I have an old AKG something or other that sounds like ass on virtually everything I put it in front of. One day, I'll discover its hidden talent. LOL.

FWIW, despite not having any monitors that anyone can find, and using a cheap knock-off something-whatever mic from Target, your mixes sound a lot better than mine when I was... what... 20?

CT

Quote by DisarmGoliath
1) what monitors are you using now (can't see any)

2) you used a cheap, no-name mic from Target (they're a hardware chain or something?) for vocals? Interesting choice, any reason?

3) what interface(s) are you using?

Sorry, the pic is quite blurry and grainy so struggling to make details out lol.

Those speakers you see behind me are what I used. They're 80's hifi speakers. 3 or 4k new, 30 years ago..
Audio interface is a 20 year old EMU APS system.
The mic was a Samson or something, 20 dollars is a good price for my budget.

Im a real gear head if you couldn't tell
Ah, okay. I see the speakers. Hi-fi speakers are not designed for mixing, no matter how expensive they are. They are designed to make your music sound great, which, in effect, means that it takes the most honest representation of your music and puts a gloss of EQ and some dynamics characteristics to make your ear go, "wow, those sound way better than my other speakers." Monitors are designed to be honest. Boring. But honest. That's what you'll eventually want for mixing.

Also, placement. Monitors are smaller (most of them) and easier to place. You'll place them on a horizontal axis that makes an equilateral triangle with your ears. Down on the floor like that, they're pointing at your knees, and we don't have ears there. By the time it gets to your ears, you are already hearing it differently than you would hear it if you were on your knees in front of the desk. If you don't believe me, try it.

Consider some room treatment other than carpeting your walls. For all sorts of reasons that go well beyond the scope of this thread, what you have might be better than nothing, but maybe not much. Oh, sure, it will be different from doing nothing. Most likely, the "different" is in reality, a number of trade-offs that may have a net effect of being even worse than doing nothing. Or slightly better, but not much. A small number of well-placed and well-designed panels would make a much bigger difference.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Ah, okay. I see the speakers. Hi-fi speakers are not designed for mixing, no matter how expensive they are. They are designed to make your music sound great, which, in effect, means that it takes the most honest representation of your music and puts a gloss of EQ and some dynamics characteristics to make your ear go, "wow, those sound way better than my other speakers." Monitors are designed to be honest. Boring. But honest. That's what you'll eventually want for mixing.

Also, placement. Monitors are smaller (most of them) and easier to place. You'll place them on a horizontal axis that makes an equilateral triangle with your ears. Down on the floor like that, they're pointing at your knees, and we don't have ears there. By the time it gets to your ears, you are already hearing it differently than you would hear it if you were on your knees in front of the desk. If you don't believe me, try it.

Consider some room treatment other than carpeting your walls. For all sorts of reasons that go well beyond the scope of this thread, what you have might be better than nothing, but maybe not much. Oh, sure, it will be different from doing nothing. Most likely, the "different" is in reality, a number of trade-offs that may have a net effect of being even worse than doing nothing. Or slightly better, but not much. A small number of well-placed and well-designed panels would make a much bigger difference.

CT

Ya these speakers do like to lie to my face, or knees for that matter. The blankets on the walls made a massive difference. When I took them down a few weeks ago the room was awkward just to be in, talking felt like being in a echo chamber. And yes I do know the room wasn't accurate with its acoustics but im here to lay down some tracks. for better or worse
Quote by siksenserecords

http://youtu.be/3KH5qDvL5bk

Sounds good, the RP's are better for electronic music so I can see why you made the switch, and there's nothing wrong with cheap microphones, most of the beastie boys records were done with cheap karaoke microphones and battered turntables and they sound flawless! good job man!
Heh.... when you were talking about the rp5 and recording direct instead, I thought you meant some cousin to the Digitech RP1000, RP500, etc. I used to have the original Digitech RP-1.

Just realized you meant KRK monitors. I thought they were supposed to be pretty decent.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Heh.... when you were talking about the rp5 and recording direct instead, I thought you meant some cousin to the Digitech RP1000, RP500, etc. I used to have the original Digitech RP-1.

Just realized you meant KRK monitors. I thought they were supposed to be pretty decent.

CT

Pretty sure he DID mean the Digitech...?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com