Hello,
I'd like to get a better guitar then my current one. So here we go:

Budget: 1000 new

Favorite Artists: Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Arch Enemy, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden

Preferences: Superstrat, no floyd rose, 24 frets, thin neck to play fast, no bolt on neck

Pickups: HH configuration, passive pickups, coil split,

New or used: used;

Current Gear: Marshall JVM 410H, Jackson Dinky js23, Fender Mustang I, Harley Benton 212 Vintage

Thanks
just curious why no bolt-on?

Check out the PRS SE custom24
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't like the feeling of it. I have a bolt on right now and the access to higher frets is a bit limited with it. And the with a set neck or neck thru guitars usually have more sustain
Quote by Jayerrr
1. I don't like the feeling of it. I have a bolt on right now and the access to higher frets is a bit limited with it.

2. And the with a set neck or neck thru guitars usually have more sustain

1.That is a decent answer, just remember not all bolt-ons are made the same with the same type of heal

2. no they don't, a well made guitar will have good sustain regardless of neck type

EDIT: Look at the LTD M/H/MH series of guitars. They are SS shaped and available with or with out FR and EMG or Seymour Duncans
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 1, 2014,
They all have active pickups... The LTD MH-1000 has the specs I need but the color is just ugly in my opinion. Having it see thru black instead of blue would be good, but the black one has a floyd and active pickups
Yeah, I'd agree don't give up on bolt-ons because of that. For the upper fret access, a lot of bolt-ons these days have more sculpted heels that make the upper fret access better. See the Ibanez AANJ and the neck joint on the new Mexican Jacksons. They do away with the old square neck plate setup.

And in terms of sustain, I can recall seeing studies that concluded that so long as a guitar is well made, the type of neck joint has very little effect on the sustain. If I remember right, in at least one study the bolt-on came out with the best sustain, but the difference was so marginal nobody would notice.

I'm not trying to convince you to go that route, but don't rule it out if you find something that meets your other specs.
I didn't know that.. Thanks for the info! I'm open for suggestions, otherwise I wouldn't have opened this thread
I heard that changing actives for passives is a problem because of grounding. Therefore the passives would be a lot noisier then the normally are because the are not grounded properly...
If that's not the case, if would be a lot easier because I'd just buy one I like and then change the pickups to passives
Quote by Jayerrr
They all have active pickups... The LTD MH-1000 has the specs I need but the color is just ugly in my opinion. Having it see thru black instead of blue would be good, but the black one has a floyd and active pickups

Look used, they change color options every year.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat

And in terms of sustain, I can recall seeing studies that concluded that so long as a guitar is well made, the type of neck joint has very little effect on the sustain. If I remember right, in at least one study the bolt-on came out with the best sustain, but the difference was so marginal nobody would notice..

That "study" (there was only one) was done by one guy, unscientifically, using no guitars whatsoever. He built two fixtures in his shop each of which had a single string, each of which simulated a bolted neck or a glued-neck. He plucked each one (no mechanical plucker, so no control on pluckage), recorded them, and then played the recording back to a very small (10?) number of people who couldn't conclusively tell which fixture sustained longer. Then he published that in his club's publication (impressively called The Journal of American Luthierie). You have to buy the article itself to find out how the "study" was conducted, but the results were widely quoted ("no discernible difference").

In terms of scientific relevance, it has none whatsoever. I do know that two of the guitars that sustain longer than any other I've encountered are neck-throughs (the Travis Bean and the Yamaha SG2000), and I definitely prefer neck-through (first) and glued-neck (second) guitars. For example,I have seven Carvins, all of which are neck-through, and that have virtually no neck heel at all. Far easier to play in the upper registers.
Quote by Jayerrr
Hello,
I'd like to get a better guitar then my current one. So here we go:

Budget: 1000 new

Favorite Artists: Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Arch Enemy, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden

Preferences: Superstrat, no floyd rose, 24 frets, thin neck to play fast, no bolt on neck

Pickups: HH configuration, passive pickups, coil split,

New or used: used;

Chase down a used Carvin DC. The default configuration (depending on year built) is an ebony fretboard, 24 frets, very comfortable neck, neck-through construction, HH, passive, coil split miniswitches for each pickup and a phase switch (For when both pickpus are selected. Scales vary; before about '92, they were 24.75" and after that they settled in on 25". Radius has varied from 15" to 12", but the options these days are 10, 12, 14 and 20" radii,with 12" standard (all Carvin DCs are custom ordered and can vary widely in spec and materials). I know, I know, not a lot of them on the border between Italy and Austria. Be creative.
^ agreed
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?