Hi guys. I want to buy a new guitar. As you can see from the title,I wanna buy a guitar that would suit me well for black metal. I would like to buy something that has a classic black metal sound for a solid price,but there are just so many guitars out there and I really don't know which one to buy.
Given your amp and distortion pedal, I'd suggest that virtually anything that looks cool and has hot pickups will do you well.

"Metal" is mostly the province of amplification where sound is concerned. I'd venture to say that a Squier Bullet Strat *could* do metal plugged into the right rig.

A quick pickup change, and these would work:

In fact, I'd be thinking this guy may be the most metal of all, since he'd have to be either enormously tough or packing serious heat to defend his choice.
i was totally gonna suggest the hello kitty strat too

a lot of black metal was a boss hm2/3 wasn't it? i'm not into it so i dunno. i think behringer makes a cheapo copy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 1, 2014,
^^Nah, that's Swedish death metal. The HM-2 provides too much thickness to sound like traditional black metal -- though you could probably dial it in to sound alright.

Classic black metal is more of a shrill, trebly mess of distortion. For once, I'd say a Marshall MG like TS has would be okay.

Anyway, TS, the guitar you use doesn't make much of a difference. I mean, you need a bridge humbucker, but that's about it. That Hello Kitty Strat would work fine. Your Boss DS-1 is horribly inadequate though. You need a lot more gain.

However, if you want to sound good, you need a completely new amp that's more suitable for extreme gain. A lot of modern black metal bands actually have a very good tone, but the playing style still applies. I can make even a clean tone sound appropriate for black metal. It's all in your phrasing, song structure, and technique.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
^^Nah, that's Swedish death metal. The HM-2 provides too much thickness to sound like traditional black metal -- though you could probably dial it in to sound alright.

Classic black metal is more of a shrill, trebly mess of distortion. For once, I'd say a Marshall MG like TS has would be okay.

Ah sorry, I get mixed up with all these different types of metal which I don't listen to

And yeah that was sort of the reason why I didn't actually mention the amp for once.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Any midrange (for quality reasons. Avoid cheap ones) BC Rich will do. Since theaterical looks matter in black metal any pointy guitar will do and BC Rich has no shortage of them. If you want to keep looking classy Jackson king V and Rhoads V shapes look amazing plus they do not look so out of place when you play other metal genres compared to, say, BC Rich Draco. :p

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by KailM

However, if you want to sound good, you need a completely new amp that's more suitable for extreme gain. A lot of modern black metal bands actually have a very good tone, but the playing style still applies. I can make even a clean tone sound appropriate for black metal. It's all in your phrasing, song structure, and technique.

Well,what amp do you recommend me then? P.S. I have recorded a demo of my one-man BM band with this rig,it's nothing special though,but I soon have to record two split albums so I want to buy a new guitar and,when I get more money later,a better amp. Anyway,here's the demo I've been talking about: http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=2NiWQN7Nvig
Quote by cheesefries
What amp do you have? Amp > Guitar

Marshall MG w/ a boss ds1 is perfect for black metal tho.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by LocusMortis
Well,what amp do you recommend me then? P.S. I have recorded a demo of my one-man BM band with this rig,it's nothing special though,but I soon have to record two split albums so I want to buy a new guitar and,when I get more money later,a better amp. Anyway,here's the demo I've been talking about: http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=2NiWQN7Nvig

Sounds about right for old, shitty production BM to me. If you want to change your tone and get good advice you're going to need to change your description of what you want.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by LocusMortis

great stuff man
banned
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sounds about right for old, shitty production BM to me. If you want to change your tone and get good advice you're going to need to change your description of what you want.

yeah that's what i was thinking (my original caveat of not even competently knowing what black metal actually is notwithstanding )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I were using a HK Strat for metal, I'd at least modify it with red LEDs in the eyes, so it would look like a Hell-o Kitty Strat...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
oh by the way just use whatever guitar you like. I use a fender mustang special for black metal and it works great
banned
Quote by LocusMortis

Not bad at all. That's definitely right up there with Darkthrone tone-wise. (Not quite as scuzzy as some of their albums though, lol). If you're happy with that tone, then by all means, just get a new guitar. And disregard the Hello Kitty Strat comments, in all seriousness. It might be funny for a couple gigs -- but black metal is serious business. ; you need something pointy and black.

As for amps/black metal tone, all I can offer is my opinion (many will disagree):

I am tired of that old-school sound. It worked for Darkthrone, Burzum, Enslaved, and countless others in creating that grim, cold soundscape. But now, it just seems dated to me and the bands that still use that type of tone aren't really covering any new ground. Some bands that used/use high gain tube amps are Emperor, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir (not a fan of any of their newer songwriting though), Winterfylleth, Wodensthrone. The amps those bands use/used ranged from Mesa Rectifiers to boosted Marshalls to Engls to Peavey 5150/6505s. To me their tone just sounds a lot better but the music still conveys that atmosphere just as well, if not better.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by LocusMortis

Good stuff. Shitty sound in a right way as oldschool black metal should be. If you keep creating this stuff the MG and a cheap distortion pedal will work for now. Problem is that if you ever start to play with a band, especially live, you need to look at quality gear. Not necessarily expensive or even tube but not a small practice amp like Marshall MG.

A good guitar is something that feels good in your hands so its always the best if you could try one out but we can give some recommendations. Where do you live and what is your budget?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I live in Serbia,so I guess you can't help me out much with that lol. My current budget is 250 euros,but I'm planning on adding more money soon. And I don't wanna go live with this project.
Well that budget does not give you nothing but beginners guitars. Mind you that does not necessarily mean bad (though it definetly leaves out B.C Rich. Their budget guitars have terrible reputation) but you cant be very demanding about it.

I have LTD F-50 which is a cheap guitar but I really, really like it. Its well balanced (sometimes an issue with pointy guitars) that it stays in proper angle even with cheap nylon strap and neck is just the right thickness.

www.thomann.de/gb/espltd_f50bk.htm

Pickups as usual with guitars on this price range are not that good but if you can solder they are easy to change. Just save another 30€ and order Iron Gear Steamhammer, Entwistle Darkstar ND or some other cheap high output passive from ebay and put it in the bridge.

But as always with cheap guitars quality control can be spotty so always check the guitar. Like the fret ends that there are no noticeably sharp edges and none of the frets is high. *edit* Oh, and there is an error in Thomanns site. It says the body is Agathis but ESP changed them to Basswood some years ago.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 2, 2014,
i used to have your amp, it isn't bad but you are going to have to upgrade. I would do research on your own online and check out more powerful options if I were you.
Actually,I've recently seen a Platinum Mockingbird's price being lowered from 250 euros to 180. What about this guitar?
Quote by kaup
i used to have your amp, it isn't bad but you are going to have to upgrade. I would do research on your own online and check out more powerful options if I were you.

Do take a note what kind of music he does play. For point of reference, Burzum - Filosofem was recorded with a fuzz or distortion pedal through a home stereo. Thats the kind of soundscapes he is creating too. A shitty Marshall MG is enough.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by LocusMortis
Actually,I've recently seen a Platinum Mockingbird's price being lowered from 250 euros to 180. What about this guitar?

You better ask Kailm. He may have played one. *edit* No wait, it was someone else that had B.C Riches. My bad.

But that does not seem like a bad price if its in good shape. If its close to you go and give it a try.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 2, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
You better ask Kailm. He may have played one. *edit* No wait, it was someone else that had B.C Riches. My bad.

Quote by LocusMortis
I live in Serbia,so I guess you can't help me out much with that lol. My current budget is 250 euros,but I'm planning on adding more money soon. And I don't wanna go live with this project.

Don't buy a cheap BC Rich. Save up and buy a Warlock NJ Deluxe or a Bich ST series. I have one of each and their both awesome.

[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Jun 3, 2014,
Quote by Blackfire.

Ah yeah, it was you Blackfire. I was almost right, you both have Abbath in your avatar.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3