I have a Mesa 2x12 cabinet which has one speaker input at 8ohms (120w)

and I have ordered a Line 6 Spider IV HD150 (150w) that has a L and R output each labeled 8ohms. If i only used one of the output with my mesa cabinet, would it still run at 8 ohms and what wattage would the amp be producing?

I really just want to know if I'm in danger of accidentally breaking my equipment.
I've been looking up explanations but many of them are very technical and go into far greater detail than I've been able to apply to my exact situation.

Regards.
yes only plug one of the amps out puts into the mesa cab

I used to do that with a Spider II HD150 and a Laney cab that was 8ohms. I only used 1 side of the poweramp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
would i be in danger of damaging the cabinet because the amps wattage is higher than the cabinet?
Quote by kaup
would i be in danger of damaging the cabinet because the amps wattage is higher than the cabinet?

The cab is 120 watts, the amp is 75watts per channel for a total of 150 watts (75watts + 75watts = 150watts.

The way you are connecting it you will only be using 75watts into the 120 watt cab it will be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Would you consider cancelling the order for the Line 6? They're generally not held in high regard by many here, myself included.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Would you consider cancelling the order for the Line 6? They're generally not held in high regard by many here, myself included.

I agree 100%
If you want a really good modeling amp a used Line 6 Flextone IIHD, Vetta I/II, HD147, spider valve or the Peavey vypyr tube 120.

these are all cheap used and way better than the spider
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i used to own a spider iii 15w and I'm getting this one for the same reason, solely as a practice amp in my basement / for rough recording while I write. The sound of digital modeling amps tend to be relatively flat, but although definitely not the best amplifier out there, I was happy with the IIIs simple interface, and range of tones, so I'm assuming that this IV will sound a little bit better and have much more content.

I'm actually one of 'those guys' who is very interested in things like the POD, Eleven Rack, and Axe-Fx. I've been reading up on running them through power amps or monitors and I'm really not sure which direction to go.

(oh and keep in mind this is just a replacement for the marshall hdfx100 i got for like 70 bucks at the pawn shop I found my mesa cab, and I only bought the marshall so I could at least play)
Fair enough

Good luck with everything
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
But for the record I am always open to suggestions. I'm far from a gear guru if I'm asking simple questions like this haha
If you like the modeling thing, try to find a used Peavey Vypyr Tube head. Those are much nicer. Even the solid state Vypyr would do. Just my $0.02
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I will at least do some research on those, thank you for the suggestions.