How did SRV get his lead tones when he ripped into a solo?Does'nt sound like drive,He sounds clean but still screams.Did he use a boost pedal or something?Or just have a clean channel set really loud for lead?Anyone have any ideas?
I really don't know but I've read somewhere he used stacked tubescreamers. Lately I've been quadruple stacking drive pedals for lead. Gives me a killer tone for solos.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yeah he soposedly stacked tube screamers

I stack 2 TS type pedals some times
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The easy answer is a tube screamer into a tweed style amp. In practice the answer is much more complicated because he often used multiple amps, usually customized by his tech and his guitars were all pretty special too.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by EyeballPaul
Cheers boys,Looks like a TS808 is on my list now!

I personally wouldn't pay the premium that Ibanez and Maxon want for a TS808/OD808.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I personally wouldn't pay the premium that Ibanez and Maxon want for a TS808/OD808.

he has a good point there are many ts clones that do the exact same ting for much much cheaper

i know joyo makes a fantastic ts clone i forget the name but y rhythm guitarist has it and it pretty much nails the ts sound for like 40 ucks
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 1, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly

+1
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yeah, why spending that money on an ibanez or maxon TS while you could get two bad monkeys/GFS greenies/joyo vintage ODs for the same money?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^The TS808/OD808 cost almost $200
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Then about 4 bad monkeys, 4 GFS greenies and 5 joyo vintage ODs
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I reckon it depends. As cord said, he used a lot of stuff. There are definitely some of his songs which sound very like a tubescreamer. But plenty don't really sound much like one, either.

^ yeah you're talking multiples. maybe even more than that. last time i checked (could've changed now) a ts9 was £120 and a ts808 something nuts (in my opinion ) like £180. i mean a bad monkey is about £23 currently.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 1, 2014,
This actually leads to an interesting question. If all you do with the OD is increase the volume of the input to a tube amp, and set all the other pedal settings to zero, does it really matter which OD you use?
Yes, because they aren't flat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
SRV used Marshalls for cleans and Fenders for dirt in the studio, a bit backwards. But it worked. He used a Music Man at the Montreaux music festival once, but he could make any amp sound awesome I do believe
Quote by stringDIA
SRV used Marshalls for cleans and Fenders for dirt in the studio, a bit backwards. But it worked. He used a Music Man at the Montreaux music festival once, but he could make any amp sound awesome I do believe

Thats pretty interesting. I like all the weird quirks srv seemed to have. I've never been a big fan but maybe I should give him another listen.
Don't forget to give his work on David Bowie's Let's Dance album and the song "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" (from the movie) a try. He does some fierce soloing on those.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 2, 2014,
Yeah cheers for the suggestions.A TS9 is currently £105.Joyo is £30 and it sounds pretty much identical from what i saw on YT.Probs go with that,Infact there's one on e-bay for £20 so depending on shipping charges i may grab it.I've got a Blackstar LT Drive but it does'nt quite cut it.I'm not exactly trying to copy SRV's sound 100% i just like the way it sounds clean but also sustains when he hits a bend or holds a note.If i can get close i'm happy enough.
Check out the Way Huge Green Rhino and the MXR M77 as well. The Tubescreamer is probably the most cloned pedal of all time - there are just tons of variations to choose from. But I've read that Joyos can be a bit hit or miss in terms of construction/QC. If you want to stay cheap get a Digitech Bad Monkey.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah i mean i could afford a TS but after hearing a comparison i don't think i need spend that much for a similar sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah you're talking multiples. maybe even more than that. last time i checked (could've changed now) a ts9 was £120 and a ts808 something nuts (in my opinion ) like £180. i mean a bad monkey is about £23 currently.
That low!?
Where?
It's about time I got one already, this might be the right occasion
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
A large string gauge will help, I believe he used 13's... I know I have a hard time bending those . But I think he was tuned down a half step also.
a lot of his sustain is assisted by a loud amp (more important that it be loud than a certain amp) and THICK strings. 11's will get you on your way

EDIT: ^beat me to it
Quote by stringDIA
A large string gauge will help, I believe he used 13's... I know I have a hard time bending those . But I think he was tuned down a half step also.
Those big fat strings contribute a lot. I put 13's on my guitar and ran it into a Pro Jr and it sounded pretty awesome. But I can't handle those strings.
Quote by Cathbard
Yes, because they aren't flat.

Yeah. Just to expand on that, in case he doesn't understand what you mean, ODs colour your tone so different ODs will sound different even if only used as a boost.

Quote by Spambot_2
That low!?
Where?
It's about time I got one already, this might be the right occasion

thomann, also amazon i think

also it's £22 on thomann though i'd be ripped on the exchange rate (around 3%), but if you can buy in euros you wouldn't be. EDIT: £22 on amazon too but out of stock

the screamin blues is quite nice too, and the same price. glorified blues driver/bd2 i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wouldn't work buying it from thomann, when I tried ordering my cab from the uk version to be shipped to italy, the price raised by something like 5% because of the lower vat in the uk.
The best thing I could do was ordering it from the german version where it cost me a € less, again because of the lower vat there.
Don't really know why they fixed one thing and not the other, but I spent one € less so it's fine

I'll have a look at amazon.

Does the blues driver/screamin blues also work fine as a boost?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

yes they do. many have one of those and a TS pedal for different boosts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Spambot_2
Wouldn't work buying it from thomann, when I tried ordering my cab from the uk version to be shipped to italy, the price raised by something like 5% because of the lower vat in the uk.
The best thing I could do was ordering it from the german version where it cost me a € less, again because of the lower vat there.
Don't really know why they fixed one thing and not the other, but I spent one € less so it's fine

I'll have a look at amazon.

ah yeah the old VAT thing

Yeah it works well as a boost. For some reason (at least the way I use it) it works far better as the first boost in the chain (if you use more than one boost at once).

It's a more transparent od, I like using a more transparent OD alongside something more like a tubescreamer or sd1. I have the transparent one on all the time (near enough, anyway) and then kick on the TS or SD1 for leads.

the screamin blues has a ton of boost on tap so works well as a boost, yeah. I do prefer my danelectro timmy clone, but the screamin blues is close.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well,I went all out.lol.I got me TS808,a TC Flashback and a TC Hall of Fame.Also got a pedal board bag and a power supply.Spent a few quid but got everything i want as far as effects for now.Cheers for all your advice,Much appreciated.
Happy New Pedal Day! I'm sure your neighbors wanna hear what your new pedals can do, it is your civic duty to oblige.
Quote by lucky1978
Happy New Pedal Day! I'm sure your neighbors wanna hear what your new pedals can do, it is your civic duty to oblige.

Cheers bro!I gotta wait for my power supply yet.My TS is fine with batts so i been jamming some 'Cold Shot'(SRV) with that.However my TC pedals last approximately 8 mins on batts so i've only had a brief mess around with them.Power supply comes Monday!Can't wait!I actually said to the dumbasses in the store(Dawsons music in the UK) "are these pedals digital?" To which they replied "whad'ya mean?" I said "well i remember the old digi pedals used to only last 10 mins on a battery" and the guy in the store said "oh no,they should be fine".I got the feeling they were pretty clueless.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jun 4, 2014,
Yeah it's a bit like being a lawyer (I'm no lawyer so this is possibly apocryphal)- Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to [in a music shop].
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?