hey guys im looking into a new prs guitar, and i got a little more money to spend, i was looking at the s2 line of guitars specially the c 22 and 24, there seem to be subtle diffrences between those and the se c 24 line what do u think is it worth a extra 500 dollars to get something that says made in the U.S.? or are they to completely 2 different guitars? i play jazz to metal so let me know what you guys think thanks.
Quote by JazzyJaymes
hey guys im looking into a new prs guitar, and i got a little more money to spend, i was looking at the s2 line of guitars specially the c 22 and 24, there seem to be subtle diffrences between those and the se c 24 line what do u think is it worth a extra 500 dollars to get something that says made in the U.S.? or are they to completely 2 different guitars? i play jazz to metal so let me know what you guys think thanks.

IMO no they are not. They use the SE tremolo on the S2. How can you justify a $1300-$1400 when your using hardware from your imports.

Now don't get me wrong, I love PRS and I own a USA made CE22. It was the "cheap" PRS back when I bought it. It is basically the exact same as the Custom 22/24 but it has a bolt-thru maple neck vs. the set necks of the custom. Same hardware, same pickups.

Used they start at $800-$900
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 1, 2014,
If you're patient, you can get a proper Custom 22/24 used for a similar amount of cash.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
If you're patient, you can get a proper Custom 22/24 used for a similar amount of cash.

ive been looking, been hard to find one :/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 1, 2014,
There was a really hot whale blue 10 top (at least I think it was a 10, my memory is fuzzy) on MusicGoRound but it seems someone bought it.

You just have to be patient and you'll find one. The wait will be worth it.

Also worth mentioning that the S2 line, for whatever reason, is missing the carved top that the proper Customs have. It's flat. Kind of a bummer.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by JazzyJaymes
anything with bird inlays?

They have a Swamp ash special which is a bolt-thru, but it has birds
www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Used-PRS-20th-Anniversary-Swamp-Ash-Special-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110076008-i3762954.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sigh. GC desperately needs someone knowledgeable to take proper pictures and write up detailed descriptions of the expensive gear they want you to buy.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The only S2 I like is the Starla.

The pictures made me want to check out an S2 Singlecut... but in person the beveling looks very weird on a single cut LP style guitar. Trying to trick your eyes into thinking the flat top is actually a carved top.

I think the SE 245 has a better bevel job than the S2 Singlecut.

Go for a used SE22/24 if you want a better guitar for less $
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 1, 2014,
The S2s are very nice. Being honest, compared to how other guitars feel and are put together, I think that the S2 (Cu24 at least) feels like a fair $1000 - $1200 guitar. Not $1400, that is too much for what it is. I couldn't bring myself to buy one new at that price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i think no.

i saw one in a local sam ash and was very disappointed. from a glance, it appears to be exactly the same feel and quality as the SE line. perhaps they are made in america, but that doesnt mean they are made better. they could be watter down production to the same levels of quality that they are being made in korea.

i would honestly just buy an SE and mod it (pups, locking tuners, straplocks...wiring?) or get a used USA CE series which would probably come out the same as a SE with hundreds in mods.

IMO - any higher end quality guitar should come standard with strap locks and locking tuners. its irrefutable....they are AWESOME, simple changes that make life easier. there is no player that will tell you locking tuners are not preferred. strap locks? i dont like broken necks. thats pretty much across the board as well.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
there is no player that will tell you locking tuners are not preferred.

I'm not familiar with different makes, but I didn't like the locking tuners that were on the LTD EC-1000 I used to have at all. And they didn't seem to make any noteworthy difference in how well they held tune, just had an extra step in stringing my guitar. The ESP tuners on my older H-301 hold tune better than that EC-1000 did.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ikey_
perhaps they are made in america, but that doesnt mean they are made better. they could be watter down production to the same levels of quality that they are being made in korea.

From what I was reading awhile back... The S2 parts are entirely imported from Asia. With minor differences from the SE line such as the beveling job, non plastic inlays, and headstock veneer.

It's just ASSEMBLED and setup in Maryland. I've searched and searched and couldn't come up with 1 part they actually make on this guitar that was not imported from Asia. From a PRS video I watched it seems the guitars already come in finished too.

It's just like Fenders Highway 1 line of guitars. Made in Mexico. Put on a truck and shipped from Mexico to Corona up "Highway 1" and assembled/finished in the USA with "Made In USA" stamped on the headstock.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 2, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
From what I was reading awhile back... The S2 parts are entirely imported from Asia. With minor differences from the SE line such as the beveling job, non plastic inlays, and headstock veneer.

It's just ASSEMBLED and setup in Maryland. I've searched and searched and couldn't come up with 1 part they actually make on this guitar that was not imported from Asia. From a PRS video I watched it seems the guitars already come in finished too.

It's just like Fenders Highway 1 line of guitars. Made in Mexico. Put on a truck and shipped from Mexico to Corona up "Highway 1" and assembled/finished in the USA with "Made In USA" stamped on the headstock.

No the S2 is 100% made and built in the USA minus the SE trem

Go to the PRS site and read all about it
http://prsguitars.com/s2series/about/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
In the same price range at my local stores its PRS s2 some low end american fenders and Gibson studios of the 3 I think the s2 is the best guitar. If you look used there's always going to be better deals.

Personally in that price range I would be looking at carvin agile and maybe warmoth. But there all online with no chance to try before buying.
whatever it is, it appears to have the same feel and quality as an SE. so i take that whole endeavor as a fail, cause i dont think they gained much.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Robbgnarly
No the S2 is 100% made and built in the USA minus the SE trem

Go to the PRS site and read all about it
http://prsguitars.com/s2series/about/

Interesting. That was entirely different than what some "well known/in the know" posters said on another forum. Really wish these videos were out when I went shopping last year.

This one goes through the whole process. They use a much bigger piece of maple for their tops than I first thought. I like that! Looks like it's just the electronics and hardware that are imported.

At 14:50 he states all the electronics/pickguards they get are pre wired from Korea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukh0gLUuLXM
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 2, 2014,
Love PRS' guitars, hate their horrendous pricing.

Something is horribly wrong when the tops of your imported line are nicer than your $2700 models. Massive waste, some of their finishes are really damn fine too, but they never put a nice top on them. For their "10 tops", they use the same exact finishes they've been using for years almost every time.

And then they don't even have a proper line to bridge the $1500 to $2000 range.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
^ the tops are probably veneers on the imports
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the tops are probably veneers on the imports

Yeah on the SE they have a maple cap with a Flame-maple veneer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah not surprising if they look "better", then. It's not comparing like with like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah not surprising if they look "better", then. It's not comparing like with like.

My CE22 has a so-so flame top, but it is a real carved fame top I think it is about an A grade maple nothing like the custom 22/24 tops
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ Yeah I mean solid flamed tops are quite expensive. Even for the lesser grades. At least compared even-fancy-looking veneers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah I mean solid flamed tops are quite expensive. Even for the lesser grades. At least compared even-fancy-looking veneers.

Well check out my CE22 in my profile, for a PRS the Flame top is kinda week, but it would be easy a Gibson custom top. PRS just has way better tops than any other maker I've seen
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh yeah absolutely, that's not a bad top at all. I'd say it's probably AA, maybe even AAA with a bit of luck, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Oh yeah absolutely, that's not a bad top at all. I'd say it's probably AA, maybe even AAA with a bit of luck, kind of thing.

yeah for a normal company, but I'll give PRS that they deff use top notch woods. And it is one of the very best playing guitars I've ever laid my hands on. When my son turns 16 I'm giving it to him, I figure I can be the cool dad
My oldest daughter claimed my LP and my youngest daughter wants a USA G&L ASAT like my tribute.

Hey my kids know what can I say
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

but yeah the PRS tops I've seen have generally been great, yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

but yeah the PRS tops I've seen have generally been great, yeah.

Yeah like I said the top on mine is nice, but for a PRS it's kinda meh.
I know that may sound funny but I think it is true. But it is a CE which was the cheap working mans PRS back in the day. And I bought it to play not display
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?