I'm mostly an acoustic player, just bought an electric a few days ago and thought I'd hammer down. For now, I am using JamUp app for iPad/iPhone. I am getting an amp in a few weeks but my question still holds. How do you guys/gals determine the setting(s) of your amps when you are playing a cover? How do you know what pedals to choose? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rob-
Generally I just get a good tone that I like out of the gear I have available to me and work with that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^
Bingo.

Tone chasing is NEVER something you should engage in. When you're playing a cover, there is no way in hell you will sound like the original band -- unless you somehow manage to get their exact gear. And by "exact", I basically mean you steal the original band's gear. So, don't bother to tone chase. Get a good tone that's close to the overall feeling of the original song and leave it at that.
WHEEW! Thanks guys. That's what I've been trying to do, just didn't know if the cool people did the same.
Quote by rcapilli
WHEEW! Thanks guys. That's what I've been trying to do, just didn't know if the cool people did the same.

Whoa there, I never said I was one of the cool people!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm 25. I stopped caring about "cool". lol

Anyway, doing what we suggested is a hell of a lot more practical than spending hours and hours agonizing over the fact that you, for example, don't sound EXACTLY like Johnny Mars.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm 25. I stopped caring about "cool". lol

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I just set my settings to something I like and use it for everything. Too much of a hassle to keep changing it. But I found that you can change your tone a lot just by messing around with the volume/tone knobs on your guitar and switching pickups
Experiment. Finds new sounds you like. What would Jimi do?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Even if you had the actual gear of someone famous, I bet you wouldn't sound like them. The expression used is 'tone is in the fingers' and each of us put something of ourselves into the tone. Twiddle knobs and find sounds you like, remember where they are and use them.