https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJVTB5XDOA#t=24

^^^That right there is exactly what I've been after for so long. This is a soundboard recording, for reference, and I think his head is run directly through the soundboard - so choice of speakers may not be what distinguishes this sound.

We've established with the help of people on other forums that he's using a JCM900 head there, possibly with a ProCo Rat.

However, all the recordings of the JCM900 that I've heard sound absolutely nothing like this.

I really want to get as close to this sound as possible. I'll have a budget of about £900 for both my guitar and amp. I was originally thinking an Ibanez RG550 with a JCM800. The JCM900 is cheaper but is supposedly nowhere near as good.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also know it's hard to tell who is who given Pat is turned up quite loud alongside Dave. But you can hear Dave strumming separately at the beginning so I think it's him making most of the good noise. He is probably using a Mesa dual rectifier that he got from Kurt.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by spleenharvester at Jun 2, 2014,
What version of the 900 is he using? The JCM900 DR? JCM900 SL-X? JCM900 MkIII?

I looked at the video, I can't tell what brand he is using. It has marshall looking colors, but no distinguishing marks/labels. There are many, many amps that look similar or are heavily modded by techs like Bogner, Splawn, Friedman from back then and still today
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What version of the 900 is he using? The JCM900 DR? JCM900 SL-X? JCM900 MkIII?

I looked at the video, I can't tell what brand he is using. It has marshall looking colors, but no distinguishing marks/labels. There are many, many amps that look similar or are heavily modded by techs like Bogner, Splawn, Friedman from back then and still today

Should be a dual reverb. We figured it out on another site using a different video (he rarely used them and not at all after 1995), and it matches with what's listed on his gear page.
Sounds like channel 1 of a 4100. (ie a normal ol' Dual Reverb)
You need a decent gob of Presence, but don't go crazy. And go easy with the mids. You probably don't need a lot of gain. The Master Volume is where that tone is at there. Crank it to 11.
The power amp in a 900 is a little pearler. It's basically a JCM800 so if you crank it, it screams. I ran mine as 50W (ie two tubes pulled) and cranked it.
In reality, MV at about 2 o'clock with the gain at about the same, maybe a little less. Throw in your OD where needed. Add a bit of distortion from the pedal. You can get away with a boost, but you've got a tubescreamer inside on channel 1 so what the hell? Your pedal is better than the poxy overdrive stage in the 900. Colour it up a bit yourself.

But that's the sound of a cranked 900 power amp. I'd bet money on it.

Edit: The correct way to do it would be MV full, then crank the gain until it sounds right. It's gonna be loud, very ****ing loud.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification