I was just wondering if its normal to name a guitar? My daughter is getting her first guitar, a translucent red Johnson fat strat. She insists on naming it Cerberus. I forgot why she wanted to name it that, but it has something to do with Orpheus and a guardian. Just wondering if other people do that too? Thanks!!
kids might do.
and metalheads I guess.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
only fags and queers name their musical instruments. It's a ****ing piece of wood with strings. It doesn't need a name god dammit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
only fags and queers name their musical instruments. It's a ****ing piece of wood with strings. It doesn't need a name god dammit.

B.B. King wept
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
kids might do.
and metalheads I guess.

I find it's completely the opposite. Mostly old blues farts name their stupid guitars.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Tonight, you pukes will sleep with your rifles. You will give your rifle a girl's name because this is the only pussy you people are going to get. Your days of finger-banging ol' Mary-Jane Rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties are over! You're married to this piece. This weapon of iron and wood. And you will be faithful. Port, hut!

(c)
Naming your guitars is geeeey.

Mine are named Maria, Bam and Eliot
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I find it's completely the opposite. Mostly old blues farts name their stupid guitars.

perhaps.

it's obnoxious as **** anyway.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
perhaps.

it's obnoxious as **** anyway.

I agree, but very rarely does your typical kid name his guitar. I'd be more willing to bet that they would think naming guitars is 'totes gheeeey meng'
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Don't care about whether other people do it too. Your daugher wants to do it, and it's perfectly normal because even if others don't do it, it's perfectly normal to be different.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by k.lainad

I've actually found that asking someone their guitar's name is a good way of weeding out who actually gives a shit about playing it. If they don't have a name for their guitar, I assume they bought it at a pawn shop for ten bucks in hopes that it'll help them get laid.

Edit: I didn't realize that this was a new user asking a genuine question. Naming your guitars is not weird. I've named most of mine and know plenty of people who do it.
Last edited by archangels at Jun 2, 2014,
Quote by archangels
I've actually found that asking someone their guitar's name is a good way of weeding out who actually gives a shit about playing it. If they don't have a name for their guitar, I assume they bought it at a pawn shop for ten bucks in hopes that it'll help them get laid.

many legendary guitarists bought their guitars from pawn shop for 10 bucks. clapton, rory gallagher, kurt cobain, vaughan, alvin lee......
Quote by archangels

Maybe they care more about playing then taking time out of their day to come up with a name for an inanimate object.

I get it though, I call my fridge Lucy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Sorry that the other users are obnoxious, Shanda. Its definitely not unheard of for people to name their guitars, if that answers your question.
Quote by arcanom
many legendary guitarists bought their guitars from pawn shop for 10 bucks. clapton, rory gallagher, kurt cobain, vaughan, alvin lee......

Ten bucks was a lot more money when those guys were kids, though.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I get it though, I call my fridge Lucy.

1. Totally fine to name a guitar, as many people do it not only with guitars, but other inanimate objects they own. Weird? Sometimes. Who cares.

2. Life is easier when you have multiple guitars and some have names. I've got 8 or 9 and only a few have names, they seemed to be the ones who suited having names and it's easier to say "pass me thunderslut" than trying to describe the guitar to someone who doesn't otherwise know the difference.
lulz
Quote by robt18
it's easier to say "pass me thunderslut" than trying to describe the guitar to someone who doesn't otherwise know the difference.

I would think that explaining why you named a guitar Thunderslut would be more of a challenge than just pointing to a guitar and saying, "Give me that one."
Quote by archangels
I would think that explaining why you named a guitar Thunderslut would be more of a challenge than just pointing to a guitar and saying, "Give me that one."

It's still a more fun conversation than "Durr what's a PRS?" :p
lulz
Quote by robt18
it's easier to say "pass me thunderslut" than trying to describe the guitar to someone who doesn't otherwise know the difference.

And then, they're gonna be like, "Which one is 'thunderslut'? Let me know so I can bash you over the head with it!!"
My silverburst les paul is simply called Sylvester just for the obvious lol's, It's hardly important but can be harmless fun, it's very rare I'll even remember I gave it a name to be honest
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
I name all my instruments. People name their cars and chicks will often name their boobs... I don't see anything wrong with naming an instrument that has sentimental value to you.
Jackson DK2M "Kendra"(Illuminator/Crunch Lab)
Charvel So Cal "Hayley" (JBs)
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (Jazz/Dimebucker)
Sterling JP60 "Mara" (LiquiFire/Steve's Special)
Quote by dash-rendar
People name their cars and chicks will often name their boobs... .

I have never heard of this. Ever.
I don't have a name for my guitar although if someone asks me if I do I jus say "Oh, it's name is Blanco the white strat"
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
TS your daughter sounds hawt. How's about you hook me up wit dem digits?
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
TS your daughter sounds hawt. How's about you hook me up wit dem digits?

needed to be said
The majority of you in this thread are terrible people
My God, it's full of stars!
I think naming things is a recipe for teh heart pains. What if "Thunderslut" broke?

Anyway, if I named a guitar I'd call it "Shanda R.Bucy".
I only name fretted instruments after people who are personally important or symbolic to me: Laura, Georgia, Jessica, Brianna.

Edit: Cerberus was the three-headed dog guardian of the underworld in Greek mythology, Orpheus was a Greek poet & musician who went to the underworld to retrieve his wife. Offenbach wrote an opera about it which contained 'The Infernal Gallop" a.k.a. The Can-Can.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Jun 3, 2014,