i have a schecter soloist(tuned drop c) peavey 6505(4 months old-stock ruby tubes), orange 4X12 V30 cab, maxon od808, mxr 10 band eq, and a decimator pedal. i just got the mxr eq last week. with the mxr, ive tried different settings and it sounds muddy and dark or way to bright. i play rhythm.. all metal, mostly death. looking for chunky/punchy tone with zero mud. i dont get this... i can tune a stereo eq with perfection. amp eq is tough for me lol. i need help on mxr, amp and maxon settings. thanx

6505 settings:

lead channel

pre gain 7
low 8.5
mid 6 high 7.5
post gain 1.5
resonance 4
presence 7.5

maxon od808 settings:

drive 0
balance max
tone max
Too much bass, dial it back a bit. Crank up the mids to about 8.5, dial the treble down to about 7. Resonance and prescence both at 7.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Yeah, cut the bass a bit on the amp and cut everything below 80-100Hz with the outboard EQ.

Also, the chunkyness comes from a number of factors including high mids and sloppy strings, so raise the mids and next time you buy strings consider getting a set with smaller lower strings.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, cut the bass a bit on the amp and cut everything below 80-100Hz with the outboard EQ.

Also, the chunkyness comes from a number of factors including high mids and sloppy strings, so raise the mids and next time you buy strings consider getting a set with smaller lower strings.

I USE GIT STRINGS. .70 .48 .38 .26. 17 .13
For drop C?

Well if you like big strings, cut the bass, raise the mids and see if you can find a noise gate to set tight at least
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
For drop C?

Well if you like big strings, cut the bass, raise the mids and see if you can find a noise gate to set tight at least

i was using drop A and it sounded like crap. i didnt realize that even with big fat strings, 24.75" scale aint gonna cut it. strings were loose and it sounded muddy. i have a new nut to replace and plan on using lighter strings. probably will go back to daddario 56-10's
I'm running the exact same amp/cab setup and I can tell you that that's too much bass and treble. Try this:

Gain 4-5
Low 5-6
Mid 7-8.5
High 5-6
Res 7-9
Pres 5-7

Also I'm using an MXR GT-OD with it so I'm not too familiar with Maxon, but try dialing the tone and balance back a bit. I usually keep the tone about 12 o'clock on my MXR, I know they're different pedals but obviously they serve the same purpose. And as far as the EQ pedal, I've never used one so I really can't say what would be best for that. I would just set everything in the middle and just tweak from there for preference.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Post at 1.5 may be part of it as well. I play at low volumes most of the time but find a chance to set post at say 4 and its an entirely new beast. The EQ is different at the different volumes. The mxr 10 band helps to tweak for different volumes. The bass especially kicks in at the higher volumes.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^ That is also true. When I'm just jamming in my bedroom I have the post at either .5 or 1 and I usually have the bass at about 8 just because of the lower volume so I get more punch and bite, but when you crank it (aka put it on 3 or 4 ) you do have to adjust the EQ
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Last edited by MusicMan24 at Jun 2, 2014,
Quote by mph33rd
i have a schecter soloist(tuned drop c) peavey 6505(4 months old-stock ruby tubes), orange 4X12 V30 cab, maxon od808, mxr 10 band eq, and a decimator pedal. i just got the mxr eq last week. with the mxr, ive tried different settings and it sounds muddy and dark or way to bright. i play rhythm.. all metal, mostly death. looking for chunky/punchy tone with zero mud. i dont get this... i can tune a stereo eq with perfection. amp eq is tough for me lol. i need help on mxr, amp and maxon settings. thanx

6505 settings:

lead channel

pre gain 7
low 8.5
mid 6 high 7.5
post gain 1.5
resonance 4
presence 7.5

maxon od808 settings:

drive 0
balance max
tone max

the pregain seems a little high. i never went over 5 on a 6505+ and it dd it. i am not really a fan of them, but i may pick another one up at some point, to broaden tones a little bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
pull the pre gain down. if your using the OD808 as a boost (volume:max, gainff, tone to taste) leave the pre gain below 1/2 way. Take some bass out.

My current Marshall I could not figure out until I set the EQ all to noon and one knob at a time a either added or took away depending on what I thought it needed. My resulting EQ is nothing like I would have ever tried EQing it by sight. And it sounds really good now, I always get complements on my tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Your presence and treble settings = extreme brightness.

Your bass setting = mud

Instead of boosting those cut them back and turn the amp up.
Just play around, you'll get there. I've owned a 5150 and a 6505 in the past, and I play mostly progressive death and modern death stuff (think Bloodbath, The Black Dahlia Murder, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth). They're really easy to dial in, the EQ knobs on the amps don't have much range at all. Be grateful you don't have a Mesa.

Is your EQ in the loop?

Pull the volume on your EQ down, and then turn this post gain on your amp up. This is the secret to 6505 tone in the bedroom.

As for the EQ shape, you want to cut off your low end, boost your low mids, scoop your high mids a tiny bit and just keep your highs moderate. Scoop your highs a tiny bit if you want to.

Also, try setting every EQ knob at 0, and then turning each up slowly, bass then mid then treble. Turn up the bass enough so that you can feel it a little bit, but it's not overbearing or muddy. Don't be afraid of the extreme ranges of the knobs, just use your ears. Then turn up your mids until you get a good body, and you don't have a scooped hollow sound. Your highs control your cut and definition, turn this up until you get a good quality sound, but back off when it gets piercing or thin.

Your presence is also important, it's basically a high mid control. Turning this up high can ruin your sound, just keep it moderate, back off if your sound gets thin or honky.

Then, as tedious as it sounds, try doing the same with the bands on your EQ.

I agree your gain is too high, but I don't agree with the guys saying to keep it at 5 max. I found just right around 6 was the best compromise.

For your boost, keep the level maxed out, turn the gain down to 0, but you can add a tiny bit if you want. You can keep your tone about noon or a little above, as adding a little tone on the pedal can give you a little more definition and cut. I remember cutting my tone back though. I've used a few different boosts, Ibanez TS7, Boss SD-1, & MXR M77. They all respond essentially the same.

You might just not like your speakers. V30s are notorious for a high mid spike that can be annoying to some. I ran WGS's G12H30s with mine.

Good luck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ what he said.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Offworld92
Just play around, you'll get there. I've owned a 5150 and a 6505 in the past, and I play mostly progressive death and modern death stuff (think Bloodbath, The Black Dahlia Murder, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth). They're really easy to dial in, the EQ knobs on the amps don't have much range at all. Be grateful you don't have a Mesa.

Is your EQ in the loop?

Pull the volume on your EQ down, and then turn this post gain on your amp up. This is the secret to 6505 tone in the bedroom.

As for the EQ shape, you want to cut off your low end, boost your low mids, scoop your high mids a tiny bit and just keep your highs moderate. Scoop your highs a tiny bit if you want to.

Also, try setting every EQ knob at 0, and then turning each up slowly, bass then mid then treble. Turn up the bass enough so that you can feel it a little bit, but it's not overbearing or muddy. Don't be afraid of the extreme ranges of the knobs, just use your ears. Then turn up your mids until you get a good body, and you don't have a scooped hollow sound. Your highs control your cut and definition, turn this up until you get a good quality sound, but back off when it gets piercing or thin.

Your presence is also important, it's basically a high mid control. Turning this up high can ruin your sound, just keep it moderate, back off if your sound gets thin or honky.

Then, as tedious as it sounds, try doing the same with the bands on your EQ.

I agree your gain is too high, but I don't agree with the guys saying to keep it at 5 max. I found just right around 6 was the best compromise.

For your boost, keep the level maxed out, turn the gain down to 0, but you can add a tiny bit if you want. You can keep your tone about noon or a little above, as adding a little tone on the pedal can give you a little more definition and cut. I remember cutting my tone back though. I've used a few different boosts, Ibanez TS7, Boss SD-1, & MXR M77. They all respond essentially the same.

You might just not like your speakers. V30s are notorious for a high mid spike that can be annoying to some. I ran WGS's G12H30s with mine.

Good luck.

this was probably the most helpful post i've received on any forum. huge thank you!

as far as speakers... im strongly considering adding 2 k100's in an X pattern. ive heard nothing but good results with this combo. if anyone is interested... i have 2 V30's for sale/trade.

again... thanx for the help!
Last edited by mph33rd at Jun 5, 2014,
Quote by mph33rd
this was probably the most helpful post i've received on any forum. huge thank you!

as far as speakers... im strongly considering adding 2 k100's in an X pattern. ive heard nothing but good results with this combo. if anyone is interested... i have 2 V30's for sale/trade.

again... thanx for the help!

i love K100's i have a dozen i think now. two cabs all K100's, and two cabs with two and two V30's.

best combination.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i love K100's i have a dozen i think now. two cabs all K100's, and two cabs with two and two V30's.

best combination.

i'll trade you 2 V30's with less than 20 hours playing time for 2 k100's
thinking about getting some eurotube high gain matching sets. wonder this will improve my tone a little
Quote by mph33rd
thinking about getting some eurotube high gain matching sets. wonder this will improve my tone a little

if the tubes are stock, likely new ones could be better. however ruby is a re-label so read off the codes and somebody can help you figure out what they are.

i would probably get a new set for tone sake. keep the old ones for backups

all JJ's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!