Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm having some trouble with recording a good bass tone. For starters, I'm using Ableton Live Suite 9, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface, a Fender MiM P-Bass into a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal into an older model (c. 2006) Acoustic B100. I'm fine with the guitar sounds I'm getting just by using a Shure SM57, but I'm struggling to get any sort of usable bass tone via recording. I've tried micing with an MXL 990, my SM57, direct line from the VT Bass pedal, and from the line out from the amp. But everytime I get a flat, bland sound with no real hefty low end.

Is this just usually something that can be fixed in post-recording or what is the best way to record bass?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
But everytime I get a flat, bland sound with no real hefty low end.
Clips please?
And what do you exactly mean by flat?
Quote by lkngro
Is this just usually something that can be fixed in post-recording or what is the best way to record bass?
Most stuff can be fixed in post recording, but that isn't a reason good enough not to make things sound good before being recorded in my opinion.

None of your mics are what I'd use to pick up low frequencies, so I'd either go from the bass to the sansamp to the interface or from the bass to the interface.
Then when you have your bass recorded try and play with an eq, with which you can remove a bit of the high highs and raise the lows, and with live's cab simulator (even amp simulator if you didn't use the sansamp).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Here's a super rough demo (or, rather, a zuper ruff dem0) that I'm working on. The bass comes in at around 1:15. https://soundcloud.com/luke-nigro-2/stinkstankstunk-zuper-ruff

Here it is with just the bass track: https://soundcloud.com/luke-nigro-2/stinkstankstunk-ba-track

This was done with the pedal into the amp and the recorded signal is from the effects loop send from the amp into my interface. I think it lacks low end and gets utterly lost in the mix. Granted, I barely mixed this at all. The bass track is just boosted one decibel.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Jun 2, 2014,
I would try not even using the amp first. Plug the VT directly into your interface and see how that sounds. Consider mixing a cab simulator onto that track and see what happens. 100% of the bass that I record is DI with varying degrees of cab mix, and it always sounds full and warm and generally amazing.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I'd go direct through the Tech 21 too. I'm not familiar with that particular piece of gear, but one of the best bass sounds I've ever recorded was direct from the bass to a SansAmp and then into a line in on my sound card. Came out very "Tool."

More recently, I just recorded a bass direct into a Radial J48 DI box and straight into the interface and I was really happy with how it came out.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jun 2, 2014,
If I'm mic'ing a bass amp, I'd never use an SM57 personally, other than maybe as a secondary mic. Of my collection, I like the Sennheiser e902 on bass amps.

Anyway, like with guitars, I like to split the bass with my DI box and both mic the amp as well as taking a clean DI.

I then run the clean DI into a compressor, and then through a cab sim/IR loader (I have a few nice bass cab impulse responses I use, which differ depending on the 'target' tone... quite like the IR of an SWR 15" though) and blend that with the mic signal to taste (or just use one, if the other isn't too suitable in the end), and for anything rock or metal I'll duplicate the clean DI and run it through an amp sim with the drive up high to get some gritty distortion, and then have that very low in the mix to gel with the guitars better.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
If I'm mic'ing a bass amp, I'd never use an SM57 personally, other than maybe as a secondary mic. Of my collection, I like the Sennheiser e902 on bass amps.

Also check out Shure SM7, EV RE-20, Sennheiser MD-421, Sennheiser e602.

Basically, anything you might otherwise consider on a kick drum.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Also check out Shure SM7, EV RE-20, Sennheiser MD-421, Sennheiser e602.

Basically, anything you might otherwise consider on a kick drum.

CT

Yep, as a general rule if it's good for kick it's worth a shot on bass amps (and anything else with a low end focus).

Audix D6 is supposedly a pretty good bass amp mic, too, and I've seen people use the typical AKG D112, though I'm not really a big fan of that mic - think it's overrated in a similar vein to most modern Marshall amps, in that because people see it everywhere they think it's one of the best.
Sence we're at it, I preferred the d12 over the d112...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I've never encountered a D12 in real life, although I've seen one of the re-issues they made not too long ago in some venues mic box. Are they hugely different, the D12 and the D112 (other than the shape)?
Yeah, sorry, I was talking about the reissue.

Not that different.
IIRC it was a bit tighter and had a less hyped hi end.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola