Obviously it's pretty easy and straightforward to write down the notes and chords you are playing to guitar pro, but i find it tedious to try to figure out what exact notes i played in regards to tempo, such as quarter notes, sixteenth notes.

it takes a lot of tries before i can fit the notes in the time signature and have it sound like what i was playing.

how do i improve my skills in trying to figure out if i was playing a sixteenth note a triplet or whatever when im writing riffs, rhythms, leads on guitar?

it's pretty easy to figure out what im playing if im doing basic rhythm patterns, but its get a bit tricky when trying to transpose leads into guitar pro.
Last edited by musicandthewave at Jun 2, 2014,
Ear training.
It takes practice. It is easy, but it takes practice.

When I started I was given the note and had to write the durations out as my teacher played it.
Exactly what you are trying to learn.
Start playing along with a metronome. Pay attention to where the downbeat is and where you're starting each phrase. Makes transcribing to guitar pro MUCH easier.
Learning to be aware of the sub-divisions in another way may help. When reading sheet music or notating stuff i am always using the indian "TaKaDiMi" system, giving a syllable to each beat.

For example:

Quarter note = Ta
Eight note = Ta di
Sixteenth notes = Ta Ka Di Mi.

This helps with learning how many notes there are on each beat. A video example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsvKQhOeQjQ

(Note that he doesnt use the same syllables as me for eightnotes, that is cause there are different variations of this system)

That may help you, it helped me many years ago. Other than that, keep transcribing is your best bet.

Best regards,
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by AngryHatter
Ear training.
It takes practice. It is easy, but it takes practice.
Exactly what you are trying to learn.

If it takes a lot of practice it's not easy. Anything becomes easy when you practice enough.
You need to listen to the beat. Count "one, two, three, four" in your head. That way you'll be able to hear which note falls on the beat. Then you just need to listen to how many notes there are between the beats (and if they are all equally long or maybe some of them are shorter). You could also count eighth notes in your head.

Slow the song down. Windows Media Player can do that. I did that a lot when I made my own tabs. If the part is too hard to figure out in full tempo, just play the song in half tempo.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Do you actually own a metronome? The metronome in GP only represents 1/4notes (crotchets). most online metronomes and traditional metronomes only represent crotchets also. You need to get the feel of 1/4 triples 1/8 triples 16th triples and minim triples. You need to be able to fire 16thnotes at 230bpm minimum. try chromatic exercises with straight 16thnote four note per string runs. after a week or two you perception of rhythm would be to standard and you should be able to dictate odd meter as well as compound meter. sometimes 12/8 or 9 / 8 feels like triplets but it isn't if you use 3dupples in a bar. - // try not to move your fingers too far ffrom the frets... you can set up GP to play the chromatic scale ascending and then descending use loop trainer set to 280 bmp and play from 40% speed increase 1% every 5 times. then do it with triplets - if you still don't get it after that keep at it. there should be no mistake with interpreting rhythm and tempo