Our landlord wants to start adding to our house....while we're still here.

Page 1 of 2
Title says it all.

Our landlord wants to start building additions inside our place while we're still here and under lease.

I mean, obviously this puts a huge strain on us. Construction noise, loss of water during the work, electricity used by the equipment...

...and not to mention a bunch of laborers and our landlord wandering through our home all day long for weeks.

Anyone else ever been in a similar situation? Is this even legal?!

I know I should probably call some kind of city office to get more information, but I was just curious to see if the Pit has ever had problems like this.

We're cool with the landlord and he's a nice guy, but he seems intent on doing this and I'm not excited about it.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
call the city office or whoever, find out.

/thread
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by behind_you
Well to be fair it's not 'your' house

But they are leasing it, so they do have rights and all that

I would expect that he could only do this with your permission while you're still living there
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I pretty sure that isn't legal. I don't think they could legally create a dangerous living environment without having his tenants sign something.
Quote by the bartender
But they are leasing it, so they do have rights and all that
/doesntknowsquatabouthowhousingworks

What kind of additions are you talking about ts
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
/doesntknowsquatabouthowhousingworks

What kind of additions are you talking about ts

Adding a bedroom and bathroom. Not from the outside, but splitting one of our current bathrooms into two and making part of our den into another bedroom.

I don't see how this can be acceptable...we're going to be down to one bathroom until he's done? We pay for two!

And we can't use our living room? How long will the power be off while he wires up the new bedroom?

And I'm sure as hell not looking forward to moving all of our furniture around for this, either.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Adding a bedroom and bathroom. Not from the outside, but splitting one of our current bathrooms into two and making part of our den into another bedroom.

I don't see how this can be acceptable...we're going to be down to one bathroom until he's done? We pay for two!

And we can't use our living room? How long will the power be off while he wires up the new bedroom?

And I'm sure as hell not looking forward to moving all of our furniture around for this, either.
Holy hell is he ok

Like seriously, go ask him if he's feeling ok.
ggg1 ggg3

How long have you been under lease? Id call the better business bureau to find out more information or US department of housing and urban development on steps to use to go further. This is not right and I wouldn't stand for it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Unless its in the lease that he can do modifications to the house (other than repairs), without your WRITTEN permission, its ILLEGAL AS FVCK.
It most US states, its not even legal for him to come inside the house without at least a 24 hour notice.
And do what Nelshizzle said about contacts.

In some states, if he does modifications to the house that puts you in danger or inconveniences you the landlord is REQUIRED to provide you with alternate housing AT HIS/HER EXPENSE.
I would imagine that unless the lease you signed specifically mentions something like this, then he has no right to force you to give up even part of the housing you have paid for.

I would probably call a lawyer, not the city.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Also keep your shit safe if they do go through with this, landlords always hire piece of shit sketchy "construction workers" that always do a terrible job and steal as much shit as possible because they think they're entitled to it
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
He owns it, you are his bitch. Beauty of capitalism.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Lived in a house where we had this happen, although it was just replacing all the windows and the front door...in the coldest november the town had seen in 20 years, in an old house with poor insulation and heating, full of students who didn't enjoy being woken up every day at 8am with loud drilling all day until 6. Of course our landlord disregarded every rule. Didn't compensate us for the fact they used the power we paid for or that we had to increase heating usage to try and keep the house as warm as possible. Also removed the main social area of the house, by turning it into a building site. We asked for some money towards the bills, they fobbed us saying. "We thought you'd been told, and oh she'd been fired" and of course the classic "It can't have been that cold or increased your bills that much." But sadly the rest of housemates didn't push the issue and wimped out.

Also the electrical meter was in a mystical land where no-one knew it was not even the letting agent.
No, that is not legal lol, especially without your signed consent or a modification to your lease.

Sounds like a spur of the moment meth remodeling project lolz
Quote by Neo Evil11

Yup, this is capitalism fault lol, makes sense. (Owning property does not give you rights to break laws or **** up contracts...)
Quote by chaoticfables
Lawyer up

Before you spend at least $500 I would just go and ask him if he work during limited hours over a longer course according to when you are home, ask if he can wait until you move out, or ask him to throw you some cash or a rent reduction for the month due to all the stress around you.
move
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

A lot of landlords put crap in leases that they shouldn't.

It is your job to read through it before you sign and AGREE to it. If you don't like it ask for it to be removed. 99% of the time they will but are hoping you are too stoopid to question it.

If you signed that it would be ok for this then your shit out of luck.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 2, 2014,
Quote by garden of grey
Sounds like a spur of the moment meth remodeling project lolz

It actually sounds like the landlord is trying to do this so he can turn around and raise the rent afterwards.

I reiterate: Call a lawyer, TS. Don't hire him unless you need to, most lawyers will give free phone consultations.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Ask him to knock off some rent for the inconvenience.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I used to be a landlord. If it's not in the contract that he can do this, HE CAN'T. The contract you signed is binding on him as well.

Having said that; putting an extra bedroom in won't take very long, maybe a couple of days at most. The bathroom will depend on whether he needs to call in separate workers to do the plumbing. All in all it might only be a few days of noise and inconvenience. It can be hard to find decent landlords who don't try to screw you over constantly so it might be wise to let him do it rather than getting on his bad side.

Definitely talk to him first to see if he's flexible with the timing and DEFINITELY keep track of what the workers use (Like take pictures everyday in case they put a hole in the wall or break a window so you can show that it wasn't you. Maybe set up a webcam and film them working all day in case they steal something).
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
My landlord needs to get though my room onto the balcony to paint or something.

That's not as bad as your situation though.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Get something in exchange. Reduced rent for the month, all water and electrical bills paid by him for the month (after all, YOU'RE not gonna pay for the water & electricity used up by them) and a guarantee that anything that gets broken is compensated for.

Also a million dollars.
Doesn't seem legal, unless you didn't read your paperwork when you signed the lease and it said he's allowed to do anything to the property without your consent.

Dig out your lease agreement and maybe get a solicitor to run through it.
check your contract. in mine it sais the owner can do this but there are some regulations involving the time period, privacy and stuff. i believe they can shut off the water and electricity but no longer than 1 day or so
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by Neo Evil11

You're not a commie, are you, son?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Thrill-house
Tell him to cut your rent while it's going on.

This, you should be getting some discount for as long as the work continues.
Quote by I.O.T.M
You're not a commie, are you, son?

I am as red as the blood of my enemies.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2