Page 1 of 2
Well, there goes hundreds of jobs.(I'm assuming the current wage is >10)

Disregard, I assumed they were just changing it asap.
Last edited by Wormholes at Jun 2, 2014,
Quote by Wormholes
Well, there goes hundreds of jobs.(I'm assuming the current wage is >10)

Disregard, I assumed they were just changing it asap.

It's like 9.39 I think

The problem with a lot of minimum wage jobs is they refuse to give you a good amount of hours, so they don't have to give you benefits. That leaves you too have to work an extra job or two.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Cool! I'm assuming there are a bunch of local particularities (including, IIRC, some pretty cool activism and pressure for this) here, but will be interesting to see the impact this has and what can be extrapolated in terms of other living wage campaigns.
Sounds good to me. I'd take quality over quantity any day. 1 well paid worker that can do the job of 3 people > than 3 inept cheap labor.
Quote by gabcd86
Cool! I'm assuming there are a bunch of local particularities (including, IIRC, some pretty cool activism and pressure for this) here, but will be interesting to see the impact this has and what can be extrapolated in terms of other living wage campaigns.

Look at this Brit/Brazilian (I can never remember which it is with you) trying to be relevant
My God, it's full of stars!
I really don't know how this will turn out

probably because I don't know shit bout economics
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Looks like this is the end of Capitalism guys. Soon we'll all be living under Communist Obama's rule.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Won't inflation increases prices such that $15 is the new $9 or whatever it's currently at? Is anyone actually going to be making any more money in terms of purchasing power?

I actually don't know if one state could inflate stuff to that point. I think all the businesses would leave before that.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't know shit about economics and stuff but wouldn't places like McDonald's who pay minimum wage just not want to have stores/restaurants there?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
There has been a min wage for decades, it should be set at a reasonable rate to live and support a small family on 40 hrs a week. $15 sound fair if not low to me.
Quote by Dreadnought
Look at this Brit/Brazilian (I can never remember which it is with you) trying to be relevant

Both.

If I can't directly apply it to my own day-to-day life it basically didn't happen, man.
Eh, I don't know about that.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
its for the best.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Lol, 15. I'd be happy to get more than 6/h.

inb4 "third world south central Europe"
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Won't inflation increases prices such that $15 is the new $9 or whatever it's currently at? Is anyone actually going to be making any more money in terms of purchasing power?

Yes, prices for things will go up. But it's not inflation it's just people charging more in wealthier areas
Quote by Rossenrot
Why not $100 an hour.

is that what they pay in swerve city?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

15 an hour minimum wage can be a good thing.

But people better realized you better be more prepared to already KNOW THE JOB before you are hired. The duhh duhh I'm a fast learner will not cut it. And you are expected to actually care about your job and work hard. Australia has the $15 an hour minimum wage and low unemployment. People there take education and working hard seriously. Much different than the culture we have here where remedial classes are the norm in college.

That is a HUGE increase in labor costs for companies in certain markets who are already struggling to get by. I expect a lot of low education/skilled workers to have their hours cut back or just laid off completely.
Quote by Genrecore
Sounds good to me. I'd take quality over quantity any day. 1 well paid worker that can do the job of 3 people > than 3 inept cheap labor.

yep. The inept who are praising this law will be shocked when reality hits them.
Quote by cheesefries
People there take education and working hard seriously.

that's a value statement i'm not sure anyone can argue one way or the other. the only thing i can say that's reflected in national policy is that there exists a recognition of the importance of education in social mobility.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_hour_worked

it's far from perfect but the US far outranks Australia in terms of this measure of productivity.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Rossenrot
Why not $100 an hour.

okay what would you like the minimum wage to be?
i don't know why i feel so dry
I'm interested in seeing how this plays out, tbh. I have my doubts about having a minimum wage to begin with.

I don't mind being wrong. In fact, I hope it helps. A clear solution would be nice for a change.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
100% okay with this. The original purpose of minimum wage is to provide a livable wage, and $7.50 is not a livable wage in any way, shape, or form with inflation and modern society. The only problem I ever had with raising it was that suddenly increasing it would adversely impact the job market, but phasing it in over seven years helps alleviate that tremendously.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
This is going to turn out just like it did in the 90's. People will complain that it will kill off businesses and unemployment will skyrocket, but it won't.

Buuuutttt, inflation will rise to the point that in another 20 years we'll have to raise it again.

My grandkids will be earning 50$ for minimum wage.
I haz gotten gud
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Abolish it. Let the market decide wages.

yes i figure that's his answer but i'd rather not assume.
Quote by Eastwinn
okay what would you like the minimum wage to be?

I promise to answer that question only if mine is answered.
Quote by Rossenrot
I promise to answer that question only if mine is answered.

the answer you'd get from me is not at all the answer you're looking for so peace
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Abolish it. Let the market decide wages.

That would cause Armageddon.

A minimum wage job isn't enough to live on. You can scrape by if you work two jobs and end up with around 50hrs. a week.

And that's in freaking Oklahoma, which is one of the cheapest states to live in.

7.25 is too low and it would go down even farther if companies had free reign over what to pay employees.
I haz gotten gud
I already know how this will play out. See: Australia.

Everything is more expensive there on a 1:1 ratio with the US dollar.

This is a stupid idea that will do nothing but increase inflation. Because there is a wage freeze for everyone not below the poverty line, this will only decrease most people's spending power.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2