Hey everyone, I recently acquired a jackson soloist 7 string with EMG 707s. I am having a lot of trouble keeping the noise down. I use a Randall RG100FX. No pedals. Just looking for some incite as to how I can reduce noise without sacrificing my tone, that I've grown quite find of. I do look to go passive (one day), just don't have to money to go down that road.

As far as settings go on the amp. I have everything at 5.
I've never heard a noisy active EMG in my life.
It could be the pots, the socket or the switch.

Clean or replace those components (preferably replace) and see what happens. It could be a cable too. Try different ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've never heard a noisy active EMG in my life.
It could be the pots, the socket or the switch.

Clean or replace those components (preferably replace) and see what happens. It could be a cable too. Try different ones.

I agree here. I have 707s in my Schecter C-7. Aint noise when I play through my Blackstar.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
another owner of a noiseless 707 here, you probably have a defective one
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
i haven't ever heard of a noisy EMG either.

get out the deoxit and spray the pots switch a little bit. see if that helps.

remember if you buy new pots EMG use 25k (90% sure of the near value), not 250k 500k like on a passive guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A noisy active pickup? Hmm...Make sure all of the electrical components are free of corrosion. Check the battery clip, input jack, pots, and the pickup selector.

I'd also check to make sure all of the solder points are well soldered. I've had crappy solder jobs kill my guitar tone and make strange sounds.

Check your guitar cable too. I'm just trying to rule anything out that could possible create unwanted noise.

When all else fails, get a noise gate. If you want to remain pedal free, get a new pickup.
Last edited by BlackDeath92 at Jun 3, 2014,
are they the clip together ones? check the clips. another area would be having the plug all the way into the pickups.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
These are definitely some things to check out, thanks! Also, I've had the amp for six years. Could amp internals have anything to do with it?