Hi all,

I was wondering if you could give some tips for making awesome covers that actually get views on YouTube. I just made a cover of Yngwie Malmsteen's far beyond the sun which can be found here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=c-GovDY-pGM
I don't have an actual video camera, just a shitty iPad camera, and I record audio separately and directly into the computer via fender FUSE and audacity. I learned this in half a day so I ****ed up a few times, I was in a hurry to get it recorded cuz I was busy and only had that opportunity (the house to myself so I can play as loudly as I want haha) the next day really. I doubt this will get any views really. I have hardly shared it with anyone either. It seems like those with high quality cameras and fancy video editing get tons of views even if they don't necessarily have great technique. I really don't have money for a super expensive camera or anything. Is that really how you have to do it though? Any advice on making great covers? Thanks!
Well, the trick to making POPULAR cover videos is to do covers of songs that are currently trendy, or covers of tunes that are always trendy.

Things that got popular fast were for example:
- Misty mountains cold from the Hobbit
- Diamonds by Rihanna
- The Super Mario Theme
- Let it go from Frozen

There are a couple of channels that specialize in doing these sort of covers, so the competition might be pretty tight, but certainly you can get a couple of views bumped your way. More so than doing a Yngwie cover, since these sort of covers are usually checked out by people who want to learn the song themselves, IMHO
Also, as far as quality is concerned, use a digital photo-camera, they don't have to be too expensive, but you can get some pretty sweet video with a 200$ cam, everything is better than a phone/web camera. Focus on making a take with 0 mistakes.
You're not doing anything wrong as far as recording, performing, and filming covers (well, a clearer camera might do you some good), the problem is your choice in material to cover.

You have to go for stuff that the general public is interested in now. The audience for Yngwie Malmsteen covers isn't very large. If you were to say, get creative and do a metal cover of 'Royals' by Lorde, well, I'm sure you'd get a lot more views.

Why? Because that's what's popular right now. Not necessarily the 'metal' side of it (or whatever style you decide to do a cover in), but the amount of people on Youtube searching for 'Royals' every single day is quite large. Start listening to the radio a little. Find out what's popular, and give it a crack. That way, every time someone searches [insert crappy pop song title here], your video comes up.

Good luck, and keep on cracking at that guitar. You got some skills.
Use a good image for the vid, make a spelling mistack in the headline
Yep, keep the quality up and choose interesting music that has an audience. Malmsteen covers have almost zero audience.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Combined
Well, the trick to making POPULAR cover videos is to do covers of songs that are currently trendy, or covers of tunes that are always trendy.

Things that got popular fast were for example:
- Misty mountains cold from the Hobbit
- Diamonds by Rihanna
- The Super Mario Theme
- Let it go from Frozen

There are a couple of channels that specialize in doing these sort of covers, so the competition might be pretty tight, but certainly you can get a couple of views bumped your way. More so than doing a Yngwie cover, since these sort of covers are usually checked out by people who want to learn the song themselves, IMHO
Also, as far as quality is concerned, use a digital photo-camera, they don't have to be too expensive, but you can get some pretty sweet video with a 200$ cam, everything is better than a phone/web camera. Focus on making a take with 0 mistakes.

Yeah haha honestly I was totally thinking of taking a crappy pop song and making an awesome version of it I don't really have a drummer or drum machine or anything of that nature so it could be hard to do though. Like that stupid song Titanium. It sounded like it had potential. That's kinda old but for some reason I keep hearing it everywhere (pop is virtually inescapable). I'll keep thinking of ideas :P

As far as cameras go, do you have any recommendations? $200 sounds like a lot for me 0__0 And I won't need to mic anything or use it for audio because I record directly to my computer mic. So picture quality that surpasses that of a potato will do.

And yeah, I basically have 331Erock and Andy Rehfeldt and guys like that doing what I'm looking to do, but frankly a small consistent fan base would make me very happy and keep me producing content whenever I can.

Also, I don't know why but for some reason I can play squeaky clean when I'm alone, I can play without screwing up at all in front of other people (even when performing in front of "lots" of people, e.g. a school event), but when I hit that record button I make tons of mistakes. Like that video, I messed up parts I nailed when I was just practicing it. Dumb question but do people usually practice the song a lot before they record? I honestly don't practice songs I learn a bunch of times.
Quote by evhledzep5150

Also, I don't know why but for some reason I can play squeaky clean when I'm alone, I can play without screwing up at all in front of other people (even when performing in front of "lots" of people, e.g. a school event), but when I hit that record button I make tons of mistakes. Like that video, I messed up parts I nailed when I was just practicing it. Dumb question but do people usually practice the song a lot before they record? I honestly don't practice songs I learn a bunch of times.

It's called red light syndrome. Many, many musicians have it. Basically, any time you're being recorded, you fall to pieces. It's a common problem for those of us that end up in a studio recording our music.

If you can help not looking at the camera or the screen in any way and train yourself to go back to "that place" where you're comfortable and not thinking about it, you'll make less mistakes. Just focus on the music and not the camera

It takes time to get over it, but you can do it!

I also find for home recorded stuff, not worrying about time is a HUGE factor in getting better takes. Just remember that you can always hit 'delete' and re-record it.
Quote by mjones1992
It's called red light syndrome. Many, many musicians have it. Basically, any time you're being recorded, you fall to pieces. It's a common problem for those of us that end up in a studio recording our music.

If you can help not looking at the camera or the screen in any way and train yourself to go back to "that place" where you're comfortable and not thinking about it, you'll make less mistakes. Just focus on the music and not the camera

It takes time to get over it, but you can do it!

I also find for home recorded stuff, not worrying about time is a HUGE factor in getting better takes. Just remember that you can always hit 'delete' and re-record it.

Haha yeah that's me. My hands got super sweaty when I started recording that video, I nearly dropped my pick XP I used to be too camera shy to even have a picture taken of me ever but I'm at least okay with recording myself now (learned not to give a crap lol). But it's like "make one mistake and you have to redo this" and that results in lots or mistakes.

I don't actually mind looking at the camera, it's purely the act of being recorded that messes with me somehow. And thanks, so simple but very very helpful advice, I'll find my happy place haha I find myself uncomfortable recording anything when people are in the room too which is why I hurry to make all my videos and record all my original music when people aren't home.
The Canon PowerShot series is pretty decent on the low end price range. The GE X2600 is also very good. I'd recommend saving up for a DSLR camera though, those have fantastic quality, and you can get a used one for a pretty okay price.

Also, a friend has a video camera which he payed 350$, a sony handheld, fantastic image quality and pretty good sound. But I suppose that's a bit pricey. Please, consider all of your options and decide whether it's a better investment to save up a bit and then go for quality, or buy something cheap you'll want to replace as soon as start figuring things out.

If you don't have any proper sound interface for recording, I think it's a generally better idea to get one of those first, there's a thread dedicated to talking about those in the recording section of the forums.

Also, red light syndrome is evil! Just record a lot, and it will eventually stop bothering you so much.

I understand you not having any money, I'm flat broke myself, but since the majority of UG is from a 1st world country unlike me, I try and speak accordingly. Save up, get a part time job, find a band, play some gigs
Quote by Combined
The Canon PowerShot series is pretty decent on the low end price range. The GE X2600 is also very good. I'd recommend saving up for a DSLR camera though, those have fantastic quality, and you can get a used one for a pretty okay price.

Also, a friend has a video camera which he payed 350$, a sony handheld, fantastic image quality and pretty good sound. But I suppose that's a bit pricey. Please, consider all of your options and decide whether it's a better investment to save up a bit and then go for quality, or buy something cheap you'll want to replace as soon as start figuring things out.

If you don't have any proper sound interface for recording, I think it's a generally better idea to get one of those first, there's a thread dedicated to talking about those in the recording section of the forums.

Also, red light syndrome is evil! Just record a lot, and it will eventually stop bothering you so much.

I understand you not having any money, I'm flat broke myself, but since the majority of UG is from a 1st world country unlike me, I try and speak accordingly. Save up, get a part time job, find a band, play some gigs

Thanks, awesome advice for cameras! I lack a lot of necessary technology for this haha, cameras and a means of creating drum and/or bass tracks. I has a basic free recording interface though (Audacity and fender FUSE). I'll think about a used DSLR possibly.

Yeah thanks, I really find it impossible to get flawless takes when I record so I tend to leave a few in there after getting my best take.

Ah, I'm just a 17 year old with no money lol, and no one is a drummer at my school who isn't already in a band so I can't find one for a band of my own (and there are zero bassists). I should get a job though since I now can. I wish I could do gigs but first you need a band lol. Where are you from? Greetings from the US
Wow u must have started from a young age,outstanding,as the other people have said don't play malmsteen, play more popular stuff if u looking for more hits, on the other hand why would u worry when u can obviously slay it on guitar,do what's in your heart man
Quote by austhrax
Wow u must have started from a young age,outstanding,as the other people have said don't play malmsteen, play more popular stuff if u looking for more hits, on the other hand why would u worry when u can obviously slay it on guitar,do what's in your heart man

Wow thanks man, I'm honored Didn't start when I was 3 years old or anything haha, when I was 12, I guess that is young though lol :P wasn't a child prodigy or anything though. I still make a lot of mistakes and I'm not at a point where I can just blaze up the fretboard without fault, need more practice and experience to reach a point where technique is no longer an issue. But I'll take that advice to heart. Cheers! oops, I'm necrobumping big time.