Hey guys, i'm in the market for a new amp! I have a pretty decent set up already and I'm looking for a luncbox style amp, something that's fairly low wattage, tube and portable.

I'll be running it into my 412 with Celestion V30's and guitars I'll be using my Fender Telecaster and Charvel DC-1 (EMG 81 & 85) mainly through it, and sometimes an old Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz through it.

I'm looking for something with plenty of gain on tap, not something that sounds very processed though. Thinking of something along the lines of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33iPIizR6tI

For cleans, i'm not too bothered, as long as the amp has a master volume I want to be able to have the cleans at a loud volume without too much breakup. Clean tone isn't THAT important. Decent crunch/heavy tones are much more important to me.

What sort of amps are there out there? Mainly i've been looking at the Blackstar HT5 and the Metal HT5. But i'm also aware of the Jim Root Orange signature, while the gain on this is great, I'd prefer a better clean.

I have a budget of around £400 and I live in the UK, I would definitely prefer to buy new. What's out there?
The best metal lunchbox amp I can think of is the jim root terror by orange, and even that doesn't really excite me.
Stay away from them blackstars, they sound plain bad.

Why does the amp have to be small?
I mean you already have a 4x12, ease of transportation doesn't seem your first concern to me.

Couldn't you find a used 6505 for that money and be done with it?
Or maybe a used mesa, something like a two channels dual recto or rectoverb or tremoverb or whatever amp of which the distortion sounds like a recto.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Tiny Terror or Dark Terror will probably be pretty close to your needs. Roll off guitar volume to clean up the tone. A Mesa would be excellent but well over budget new.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 3, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2

Couldn't you find a used 6505 for that money and be done with it?
Or maybe a used mesa, something like a two channels dual recto or rectoverb or tremoverb or whatever amp of which the distortion sounds like a recto.

Because they're way out of my budget, I like the 6505's however it's not entirely what i'm after. I know they sound amazing, I have an old band mate who has one, I want something a bit more versatile.

Even a used Recto is going for a minimum of double my budget.