So i just made 40 euros in an hour, translating for some cool english guy who needed help for some planning permission papers

and i know i am not alone here in the pit to speak more then one language, i was wondering if any of you actually do this as a job and if so how did it come to be?

all other cool stories welcome of course
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
Fluent in English and Italian..I was thinking of looking in to this as well. So I will lurk this thread.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
I help my friends with their Spanish homework and I taught my friend who works for the police some useful Tamil phrases like "keep driving" "stop" "is he drunk" "how old are you" etc

that's it
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I help my friends with their Spanish homework and I taught my friend who works for the police some useful Tamil phrases like "keep driving" "stop" "is he drunk" "how old are you" etc

that's it

Can you read tamil?

இது எப்படி இருக்கு ?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Can you read tamil?

இது எப்படி இருக்கு ?

it looks like a blind person tried to write hieroglyphics and then had a stroke
Quote by beadhangingOne
Can you read tamil?

இது எப்படி இருக்கு ?

I can read the first word and I can guess the second so I can guess the whole thing.

how's this?

But no, not really. I only know some of the consonants so whatever I can read is based on the characters I know and a lot of guessing. I know how to write my name though!
cat
I bloody hate translating. As a langauge exercise (native language or English --> target language) it's allright, but the other way around, it's awful.

Quote by guitarxo

that's it

You're learning Spanish? From that reading site, it seems like you read exclusively in English...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jun 3, 2014,
Quote by sfaune92

You're learning Spanish? From that reading site, it seems like you read exclusively in English...

I know enough to read magazines/newspapers. I haven't read a full-length novel in a while though because it takes forever. Also there is a lot of stuff I haven't updated with yet.
cat
Yeah I work in translation, Arabic to English. Subtitles, articles, narrated text, proposals, brochures, e-mails, whatever; it's all my responsibility.
Quote by sfaune92
but the other way around, it's awful.

Right? Especially if whoever wrote it is shitty at writing in the original language, and it's your responsibility to make it coherent/unlike a 4 year old's writing.
Quote by guitarxo

how's this?

Well done!

But no, not really. I only know some of the consonants so whatever I can read is based on the characters I know and a lot of guessing. I know how to write my name though!

Ah I see. I read at a snail's pace, but the larger problem is the way it's spoken half the time sounds nothing like how it's written.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Well done!

Ah I see. I read at a snail's pace, but the larger problem is the way it's spoken half the time sounds nothing like how it's written.

Thanks! Yeah, I think that part is the most difficult. Especially when going by how my family speaks, because they mix in words from other languages all the time (mom uses Malayalam and Hindi just because she can; dad uses Telugu because his grandma didn't know any other languages so everyone in his family mixes those words in) and I can understand all of it but I'd have no idea how to speak "correctly" let alone write any of it down
cat
I can usually do Chinese to English, but the other way around is a little more difficult to get right
I get paid for proofreading peoples articles sometimes, because apparently being good in both science and linguistics is quite a rare talent
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I translate for a living (English > Dutch). Finished my bachelor's degree in translation in July of last year and have been translating full-time for about 10 months now. Mostly technical stuff: training documents and information for car mechanics, newsletters for chemical companies, that sort of stuff. Doesn't sound very interesting to most people, but I like it and it pays the bills
I could translate English > Finnish > English

..but don't. Only in my head whenever I leave the house and want to do anything
i can speak punjabi and a little urdu. I can read arabic, but i hardly understand the meaning.

I took french for 3 years, so i can have a conversation, i can order french food well, i can write french better than i can speak it.

I look mexican, so last summer at the airport a guy asked me to translate for a foreign spanish dude. The look on his face when i said i didn't even speak spanish was priceless.

#brownpeoplearebrownpeople
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

eh I might consider it at some point if I'm ever short for cash, but I've got friends who do it for a living and it looks deathly dull. Would rather just let my language skills go to waste.
Quote by guitarxo
I know enough to read magazines/newspapers. I haven't read a full-length novel in a while though because it takes forever. Also there is a lot of stuff I haven't updated with yet.

I started reading in Japanese when it took 5 minutes and just as many dictionary lookups to get through a page. And, my primary novel reading language is German, which I read just as effiiciently as English and Norwegian nowadays, and I only started learning that two years ago!
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
When I was 17 I was looking into going to university to head down a career path to become a translator for UN and other global gatherings of ministers and politicians, but my school sent me and a few others on a course at a university that was designed to showcase potential careers in linguistics and after spending some time speaking to bilingual translators and then having a go ourselves, I don't think any of us ended up sticking with that wish and going to uni for it

What you mentioned is alright, translating a text for someone, but the kind of translating/interpreting where you listen in one language and translate into another is ridiculously tough. It's hard enough listening to a conversation and then repeating it back a few words behind... now try and do this, but with separate languages

It's made even harder because of the different word order. I would have focused on German (with English as my native language), and in complex German sentences the second verb always goes to the end of that clause... so sometimes you have to wait for the whole sentence clause just to understand the start of it. For example, "Jeden Tag habe ich fuer view Uhr mit meiner Brueder Fussball gespielt" translates to "I played football for four hours with my brother every day" but the word order is "Every day I with my brother for four hours football played" and without knowing the verb at the end you can't really say the sentence sensibly in English.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.