Hey all,

Good patch cables: GO!
In the UK are pricey, George L's, Mogami etc, and i'm finding it hard to track down the build-your-own cable kits you get stateside. So what is the best option in the UK?

I am a big fan of 'Kabl' for my guitar cables, but they stand at £40 for 5, pretty short cables.

Should i go the DIY route?
I do like my pedals, and in order to link them all up cleanly i would need an assortment of sizes (particularly to cater to my huuuge Vox Delaylab).
Where can i source good quality parts in the UK?
And how do i know if they'll do a good job?
Where I would need an assortment of lengths, I would just buy a good length of George L cable and then angled and straight plugs, depending on what I need. For my pedalboard that has now lost the phaser, I got 2 meters of George L (I will need it for future purchases) then I bought a few angled and few straight plugs, again, can't have too many of them, it's not like they're going to get bad if you place them in a good place. That was just for pedalboard, not from pedals to amp or from guitar to pedals. Now that can be a bit pricey, but I think it's worth it, especially when I didn't have to go for a solder (don't have a need for one yet TBH).
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

No way in hell good quality cables are gonna cost you less if you buy them already made unless you buy them a couple thousands a time.

I personally like myself Switchcraft's 228s for going from pedal to pedal, though the 226s seem more appreciated and more popular and stuff because of the 228s' odd shape.

Anyway pretty much any switchcraft or neutrik angled (or even straight if you fancy them) mono plugs would do, no need to go for the gold plated shiny stuff.

As for the cable, any good quality - whatever gauge - nicely insulated - cable with one (two would be better imo, you never know when you'll need to make stereo cables) stranded wire core will do.
Get something like 30 meters of that plus some jacks and you'll be done for life.

This is the first thing I could find that would suit you, but again, whatever cable which satisfies the above conditions will do just fine.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/multicore-microphone-instrument-cable/2525551/

Also **** kits, half of them don't even need soldering which in my opinion lowers the reliability (not much but you never know...), and all of them are overpriced.

Grab a soldering iron and make your own cables like a real man would do
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 3, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2

Also **** kits, half of them don't even need soldering which in my opinion lowers the reliability (not much but you never know...), and all of them are overpriced.

Haven't had any problems with my cables so far, I find them as reliable as "normal" ones. Besides, George L plugs stay in really tight, don't see the unreliable factor there.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sweet guys, cheers for all the suggestions!
I'm handy with a soldering iron, so have all the intention of building them myself.

The Switchcraft 228's seem crazy expensive in the UK compared to the USA, £6 each, whilst in america they seem to me half that (but i'd have to pay extra on postage, and possible tax) lame.

The switchcraft 226's seem a good bet though!
Is van damme cable good? think that's what they use at 'kabl'

Also found this from my usual component supplier, which looks pretty good, but is it too cheap?:

http://doctortweek.co.uk/shop/article_296/Instrument-%28Guitar%29-Cable---Evolution-OFC-%28per-meter%29.html?sessid=FAEUyJQCxfwKC7CG6WWerUCSbCIh6z2UX2UM8zLRYPRj1taqbsi8ExbQEMHHGk7v&shop_param=cid%3D37%26aid%3D296%26

They also have some angled jacks that look identical to the switchcraft 226's, but for a mere 97p! Too cheap to be good? Stick to the switchcrafts?
The price on those 226's seem to vary a bit, anything from £3-9.
Quote by Spambot_2
No way in hell good quality cables are gonna cost you less if you buy them already made unless you buy them a couple thousands a time.

I personally like myself Switchcraft's 228s for going from pedal to pedal, though the 226s seem more appreciated and more popular and stuff because of the 228s' odd shape.

Anyway pretty much any switchcraft or neutrik angled (or even straight if you fancy them) mono plugs would do, no need to go for the gold plated shiny stuff.

As for the cable, any good quality - whatever gauge - nicely insulated - cable with one (two would be better imo, you never know when you'll need to make stereo cables) stranded wire core will do.
Get something like 30 meters of that plus some jacks and you'll be done for life.

This is the first thing I could find that would suit you, but again, whatever cable which satisfies the above conditions will do just fine.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/multicore-microphone-instrument-cable/2525551/

This.

And I like Mogami W2524 cable.
I don't know where to get it in the UK, so you'll have to search.
Try Amazon maybe?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by jaybals
The Switchcraft 228's seem crazy expensive in the UK compared to the USA, £6 each, whilst in america they seem to me half that (but i'd have to pay extra on postage, and possible tax) lame.
Fuuuuuck!
By any means stick to the no-name ones, chances are they're the same thing.
Quote by jaybals
Don't know, never heard of them.
The specs and looks of the black series tour grade up-ofc gets me hard though
Quote by jaybals
Bit more than €1,50 for a meter of 24AWG shielded unbranded decent quality mono cable look just about right to me, though I'd personally get something with bigger wires and two separated conductors inside the shielding, 'cause again, you never know when you'll need stereo cables.

I mean, you can order 50m and pay the shipping one time and be done with it for a couple years years to the rest of your life, depending on how much different and long cable you need.
Quote by jaybals
They also have some angled jacks that look identical to the switchcraft 226's, but for a mere 97p! Too cheap to be good? Stick to the switchcrafts?
The price on those 226's seem to vary a bit, anything from £3-9.
If they look the same, chances are they actually are the same thing without the branding.
Same materials, same place, same factory, different distribution.

I'd get a handful of them, and another couple handfuls if they work fine.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by jaybals

yeah, it's at least decent. like most cable manufacturers they have different qualities of cable at different prices, though, i think. so you need to be comparing like with like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Spambot_2
Fuuuuuck!
By any means stick to the no-name ones, chances are they're the same thing.
Don't know, never heard of them

The specs and looks of the black series tour grade up-ofc gets me hard though
Bit more than €1,50 for a meter of 24AWG shielded unbranded decent quality mono cable look just about right to me, though I'd personally get something with bigger wires and two separated conductors inside the shielding, 'cause again, you never know when you'll need stereo cables.

I mean, you can order 50m and pay the shipping one time and be done with it for a couple years years to the rest of your life, depending on how much different and long cable you need.
If they look the same, chances are they actually are the same thing without the branding.
Same materials, same place, same factory, different distribution.

I'd get a handful of them, and another couple handfuls if they work fine.

I used bunch of pancake jacks from Radioshack for my pedalboard patch cables and they been fine so far.
Hey guys, sorry i've been out the loop, thanks for all your help!
You've made my mind up to do the DIY thang!

A place i was planning on getting a Muff kit from soon, BitsBox (a Rams Head clone if you're interested), has some Pancake Jacks for a really good price: Just 84p.

edit (link): http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_226_294&products_id=1564

Would you stand by your 'go for the no-name brands' advice? Or at that price do you suspect cheap crap?
Should i keep to the cheapo-no-name 226 style?
Last edited by jaybals at Jun 12, 2014,