Hi!

I'm looking to buy a clean amp (preferably a head), new or used.

I play in a ska-band and I play the clean guitar, so I need something suiting ska/punk.
It should be pretty cheap, so no fender deluxe reverb or twin reverb, I need something cheaper.

I'm looking for a kind of punchy tone, it has to be clean and not on the edge of breaking up and I will be using this during rehearsals and during gigs.

Any ideas?

EDIT: http://www.thomann.de <- that's where I order most of my gear.
Moreover I live in sweden.

Last edited by Gillthenasty at Jun 3, 2014,
Clean?
Like, clean only?
How 'bout a blackheart bh15?
Not really that loud without breaking up, but veeery nice cleans for the money.

Knowing your budget would greatly help anyway.

Also, if you want a punchy tone, an expander or a slightly misused compressor would help a lot.
Have you ever considered getting a 3630?
'cause that in an fx loop, or even better, before the amp, would be just the thing for a punchy tone.

Wait, here it comes my funny idea of the day!
How 'bout getting a GAP Pre73 mkII + a used 3630 + a power amp?
That'd be a hell of a clean punchy tone you know.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 3, 2014,
All clean for ska/punk? it does not compute.

Yeah give us a budget so we know what we can suggest.

Do you have a cab or do you need a combo?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fender hot rod deluxe or blues deluxe

Vox ac50

Ampeg reverberocket reissue
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Valveking
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Unfortunately Thomann doesn't have the Ampeg GVT52-112 in stock anymore, it'd be perfect for what you want, and they were blowing them out at 300€. Great price for a 50-watt, 6L6 amp with spring reverb.

Keep an eye on the Thomann website for b-stock opportunities, or try to see if you can find one used.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-Lead-Guitar-Series-G120H-DSP-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head-106702442-i1909604.gc

This is the best solid state i have ever played on. Excellent distortion, excellent clean tone, decent effects, would work great with any 2 button footswitch. Only $300. 120 watts. I absolutely love it. Been playing for 3 years, have played on all sorts of amps, and this is my personal favorite. DO NOT PREJUDGE this amp. Learn how to use it. It won't disappoint.
Last edited by EquipmentHead at Jun 3, 2014,
I like the Valveking idea. Bugera V55 could be good too. They're both fairly cheap used, and come as heads. The 100 watt Valveking would give more headroom.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Oh, sorry, I forgot adding the budget. Well, I guess I'd say $450 (usd) max.
It's a tight budget, I know, but I mean, it doesn't have to be super fancy, as long as it does the work somewhat good.

Robbgnarly, I play in a ska-punk band. I sing leads and play cleans. We have a second guitarist that play the distorted stuff.

I do have a cab already, all I need is a head and I'm set.
Quote by tas38
I like the Valveking idea. Bugera V55 could be good too. They're both fairly cheap used, and come as heads. The 100 watt Valveking would give more headroom.

The valveking seems to have some sweet clean tones, does it break up early?
My 50 watter has decent headroom, but nothing to brag about. It definitely hurts that I have a low efficiency speaker in there. I assume the 100 watt head is way better in that regard. And I'm sure you're cab is much better for that too. What is your cab/speakers?
Quote by tas38
My 50 watter has decent headroom, but nothing to brag about. It definitely hurts that I have a low efficiency speaker in there. I assume the 100 watt head is way better in that regard. And I'm sure you're cab is much better for that too. What is your cab/speakers?

Because I can't afford a lot of fancy gear, I have a harley benton 2x12 cab loaded with V30's. It does the job quite well though.
Yeah a peavey Valveking head would be great. It also has a decent foot switchable crunch channel if you do want some dirt and a decent FX loop if you need one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah a peavey Valveking head would be great. It also has a decent foot switchable crunch channel if you do want some dirt and a decent FX loop if you need one.

I'm a sort of an amp noob, what is an FX loop?
It lets you put pedals after the amps pre-amp basically instead of before it through the input. Some effects tend to do/sound better (all a matter of opinion) in the FX loop.
I'm pretty sure you'll like the setup. V30's seems a bit odd for cleans, but not bad. Bottom line, the Valveking has pretty darn good cleans and 100 watts from 6L6 tubes is hard to beat for headroom.

Amps basically have two sections, a preamp and a power amp. The preamp is what gets the signal from the guitar. Most of the tone shaping, including distortion, happens here. Gain, bass, mid, and treble controls are virtually always in the preamp. The preamp amplifies the signal and does all that tone shaping stuff then sends it to the power amp. The power amp then does the rest of the amplification. Amps that have resonance and presence controls are usually located in the power amp section.

The effects loop is located between the preamp and power amp. You put pedals in the effects loop because some sound better that way. This is usually because some effects sound better after distortion. Most time-based (reverb and delay) and modulation (chorus and flanger) sound better after distortion. Using those effects before distortion is muddy and ugly to most people.

Since you plan on playing completely clean, it probably won't make much difference to you, but some people even prefer using the effects loop for cleans. I honestly have never been able to tell a difference, but I just might suck. Regardless, it's good to have the option there. It also gives you options for running external preamps and things like that.
Hot Rod Deluxe used. Music man RD 50 head used. Both have killer clean tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY