So for my English final project, I decided to try and write a song to get some practice in for when my band starts working on our own songs. Right now, I have a chorus and the song is in D. I'm just stuck on finding the right chord.

The chorus begins with D-Dmaj7-D7-G, and then repeats, but I want something different than G the second time, except nothing seems to sound right. Any advice?
Gm.

though i'd recommend switching it up even further. the chromatic movement of D - C# - C - B between the four chords makes the listener expect something else, so to repeat the four chords makes it sound strange. i recommend:

||: D - Dmaj7 - D7 - G - Gm - A7 - D - G/A :||

but that's just going with my tastes. do whichever feels better to you (or another option not discussed).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
The thing is, D7 wants to go to G major chord. That's because it functions as a secondary dominant. The second time you may also want to change the D7 chord.

Or do like Aeolian Wolf said. D-Dmaj7-D7-G is a bit boring on its own. You may want to continue the progression. It's really usual to put a Gm or Bb as the next chord because it continues the chromatic line. But you could also try something different. Something that doesn't sound so obvious.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115