I was looking to replace my current regular big muff pi for something with an actual 9V adapter (kept pulling the battery snap wire out by accident) and for something smaller (I guess). And of course, I wanted to maintain the BMP's tone. I use muffs for Sabbath, Smashing Pumpkins, and some RHCP. I ran this through my VK212 on the clean channel (each EQ knob around 3). My guitar is a Kramer striker 300 with a dimebucker in the bridge. First round was Tone Wicker vs Big Muff Pi. Yes, I slightly mentioned this in an earlier post; this one is more comprehensive and I'll be updating as I test stuff out. I'm really interested in how muff variants (by anyone, really) stack up to the stock NYC BMP.

Sabbath tones (BMP=Level noon, tone 1:00, Gain 11:00):With the tone switch on and wicker off (what should be "stock" muff sound), the tone wicker big muff is quieter, darker, and less gainy. So The tone wicker BM had level at about 2:30, Tone around 2:30, gain around 1:00. The Tone wicker didn't sound as fuzzy. Sorry for the crappy term, but I say "boxy". Just not as much fizz, closer to regular distortion than fuzz, really. Because I had to turn the tone knob that bit over, I felt there was less natural low end too.

Smashing pumpkins tone (level Noon, tone 1:00, gain full): Surprisingly, the smashing pumpkins setup was a closer match than the Sabbath setup. Like, it didn't sound like too much more gain was needed on the tone wicker muff for pumpkins than it was for Sabbath. However, the regular big muff sounded like it had a bit more fuzzy sizzle on it and slightly more low end. On the Wicker, I liked the smashing pumpkins tone more than the Sabbath tone.

I didn't bother using either the tone wicker or bypassing the tone switch. The TW switch is too bright for rhythm, it's more of a top end boost for solos IMO, and it's not practical to switch it on and off during songs. The tone switch does give more gain and volume when off, but you can't tweak the pedal's tone. You'd have to tweak the amp EQ, so that may or may not throw things off for you depending on what your clean tones are.

My verdict is that the differences are noticeable. If you have good ears and want to really get the sound out, go with the BMP. If you don't think people will notice and have a need for the added features and size (I LOVE the size/accessible adapter hole), take a wicker.

I'll be adding on to this once I test out the nan big muff and (when it comes out) the deluxe big muff. If y'all have happened to test out any other muff variant versus the original, post it here (as long as you're amp's decent) cuz I'm interested. I usually don't see a lot of good comparisons; it's mostly people who listen to sound clips from different uploads and then give an opinion.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 3, 2014,
nice review
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tonewise, the Russian Muff has a more inconsistent (in a good way), nastier tone than the pi. I love it for leads and solos but not so much for rhythm playing. Its a poor man's ram's head big muff, kinda. However, it does not get along well with other pedals at all.

I'm currently using a homemade muff clone that, to my ears, combines the smooth fuzziness of a nyc muff with somewhat controllable chaos like the old Ram's head muffs. It stays smooth if I'm strumming consistently but goes apeshit If I'm strumming/picking dynamically. At times, notes "detonate" beautifully, if you can understand what I mean by that.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I use multiple pedals so I'll keep it in mind. I've never really looked up the Ram's head muff so I know nothing about it. Though now I understand what you mean in your sig by "not a big muff".
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
The ram's head muff is by far my favorite fuzz. You should definitely check one out if you like muffs and you come across one. Its a whole lotta fuzz, incredibly noisy and chaotic but an absolute joy to play with. I have a friend that owns one but I can't get him to part with it despite relentless effort.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
The ram's head muff is by far my favorite fuzz. You should definitely check one out if you like muffs and you come across one. Its a whole lotta fuzz, incredibly noisy and chaotic but an absolute joy to play with. I have a friend that owns one but I can't get him to part with it despite relentless effort.

Any huge differences with the current version?
The regular Big Muff in stores now is a good fuzz pedal imo (I have one of those too), but the old "rams head" muffs (there's a decal of a ram on it) are just utter destruction. You can't really use it for rhythm because the gain and feedback is so seemingly unpredictable. I wouldn't say it has more gain but its noisier. And the noise is actually usable and makes a for a good time once you feel out how to use the noise to your advantage.
Basically, the rams head muff is the obnoxiously loud, schizophrenic twin sister of the nyc big muff pi.
Round 2: Nano Big Muff pi vs Big Muff pi. Same amp settings, roughly the same pedal settings on the regular BMP.

In general, I think the Nano big muff might be the closest downsized variant from EHX yet. In comparison to the regular muff, it wasn't as bright and was a bit quieter. I had to have the level at 1:00 as opposed to 12:00 on the regular muff. But the gain was nearly right on the money (when I had the gain of Sabbath at 11:00 on the bmp, the nano was at 11:30. just that slight tad off). In comparison to the tone wicker' s "stock" tones, the nano was far closer at both Sabbath levels of gain and smashing pumpkins level of gain. It had more fizz, a more "open" voicing, and a low end closer to the regular.

If you were to try to convince someone you could get a muff tone with a different muff other than the regular one, I'd take nano over the tone wicker. It is definitely worth going cheaper for the nano at $70 over the extra $20 for a tone wicker, even with it's added switches. The nano is even smaller than the tone wicker. I don't know if I'm ready to keep the nano over the regular just yet, but I am much closer to doing so than I was with the tone wicker muff.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 5, 2014,
That's very interesting
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?