So I bought an sgj about a week ago. The guitar sounds amazing and I bought for a great deal. My only issue is I don't really know I to care for a guitar without a clear coat. Will cleaning with something like pledge or wax effect the paint? I've used both on other guitars and it doesn't harm it in any way. I'm just afraid to try it with this one without knowing more about it. Any sort of advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Quote by schism199
So I bought an sgj about a week ago. The guitar sounds amazing and I bought for a great deal. My only issue is I don't really know I to care for a guitar without a clear coat. Will cleaning with something like pledge or wax effect the paint? I've used both on other guitars and it doesn't harm it in any way. I'm just afraid to try it with this one without knowing more about it. Any sort of advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Only use guitar polish that is safe for Nitro paint or all finish types.

Just so you know the finish will start wearing through in some areas very quickly, but it is normal with the satin finished Gibson's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can use most any non abrasive car wax. I use synthetic instead of carnauba. Carnauba goes on thick and tends to sweat in the summer heat. Synthetic wax goes on thin and last a lot longer.

The Fender/Gibson polish that is out there for 10 bucks is usually just Meguires carnauba wax with a HUGE specialty "guitar polish" up charge

I've been using Zaino on my guitars since the 1990s. No issues.

Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 3, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
You can use most any non abrasive car wax. I use synthetic instead of carnauba. Carnauba goes on thick and tends to sweat in the summer heat. Synthetic wax goes on thin and last a lot longer.

The Fender/Gibson polish that is out there for 10 bucks is usually just Meguires carnauba wax with a HUGE specialty "guitar polish" up charge

I've been using Zaino on my guitars since the 1990s. No issues.

While I agree that polish with heavy wax base can lead to wax build up over time, to state that Gibson polish is Meguires rebranded is incorrect. Gibson pump polish is nothing like Meguirers period (I own both). It is claimed to some nitro in it with cleaners etc and isn't expensive.
OP wipe your guitar after playing, clean sweat deposits to reduce finish deterioration too. You can "wax" a guitar, I'm not fan of it personally but that's just me. Nitro finishes will out-gas chems over time, thinning the finish left behind unless smothered with a wax coating. I only use Virtuoso or Gibson Pump Polish on my guitars and they look great still.
Moving on.....
Just enjoy the finish wearing off. Cheap Gibson finishes end up looking like sweet relic after a year of bedroom playing.
Quote by jpnyc
Just enjoy the finish wearing off. Cheap Gibson finishes end up looking like sweet relic after a year of bedroom playing.

just what I was going to say. Lots of custom shop guitars out there that cost thousands for that fake wear look. Might as well have the real thing.
I'm just picky about my guitars in that way, but I've never had one like this so watching it fade to something worn might look pretty sweet. I like the guitar too much to take it back so I will just go with it. Thanks everyone for the replies, I do appreciate the feedback.