I understand the method of doing Dimebag's high pitched squeals. Play a note, dive the bar, then touch a natural harmonic on the way back up. Is there any way to do these without a whammy bar? My guitar has a tune-o-matic bridge and does not cater to a bar.
No, it's not possible sadly - it's a tremolo technique, if you don't have one then you can't do them. Without a moving bridge there's no way to create such an extreme change in pitch on an open string.

You can approximate them with something like a Digitech Whammy pedal or a controllable pitchshifter on a multi FX but they still don't really sound the same.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That's what I figured. I have been looking at Digitech Whammys since I cannot have a normal bar. Maybe I can get close to Dimebag's sound. Thanks for the info.
You can bend the neck or headstock, but that's harmful to your guitar.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by ben12490
That's what I figured. I have been looking at Digitech Whammys since I cannot have a normal bar. Maybe I can get close to Dimebag's sound. Thanks for the info.

It won't sound like a whammy bar. The nature of the pitch change and the digital tone produced sound completely different. It's a decent way of getting those crazy high notes but it doesn't sound like a whammy bar.

Quote by Archer250
You can bend the neck or headstock, but that's harmful to your guitar.

And won't get you the extremes of pitch change anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
you can do pinch harmonics on g string and just bend very far.. you can get sounds similar to the squeals at the end of cemetery gates minus about 30 seconds of sustain.

also you cant dive obviously, unless you prebend -> unbend.
If you have the strength/pain threshold you can try this trick that Doug Aldrich uses here (Around 1:38 - 1:42) with a harmonic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qif4N7B-_G4 - It looks cool but hurts like hell.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
So he plays a note or a harmonic, then bends the string before the nut?
Quote by ben12490
So he plays a note or a harmonic, then bends the string before the nut?

I believe so, yes.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
Quote by lodgi
I read Dimebag used an octaver to get those squeels

You're wrong. There's plenty of video evidence of him getting them without.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.