I have my knowledge till scales- major, minor, pentatonic, blues, harmonic minor. My techniques are fine but i cant sweep. But i want to put emotions in my playing, everytime i end up with something that sounds familiar...i cant get my own style. My question is how do i make an instrumental which sounds really new and what other things do i need to know apart from scales?? any help?
The fact is, you dont need to know theory to make music, it helps but it doesnt write it for you. You need to get in touch with your own ear and passion.
And im not saying sit down and have a chat with yourself and get spiritual and what not, it just means you have to lay all the expectations aside and simply listen to what you are playing.
Dont feel overwhelmed by this but rather see it as a blessing that you dont need to learn all of this theoretical knowledge to actually make music, the knowledge you need to make music is in the music youve heard over youre entire lifespan.

Start somewhere that ure satisfied with and the way to progress in a piece is to simply listen to where YOU want to go. aka what youre hearing or feeling in the silence that comes after the last measure uve composed, whether its a melody or a harmony.

Emotions dont come from theory, theory only helps you to categorize and "explain" how the music is laid out. Whether or not it makes YOU Feel something has nothing to do with theory, but once youve composed a piece that captures this emotion, you can analyze it and see what the progressions that make you emotional are and how you can replicate them.

The question of how to compose a piece is like asking how do i write a book?
For most people it sounds rather self explanatory, the theory is, you take words, form sentences with them that mean something and put them into a context of a book.
But what you come up with is totally up to your own imagination, passion and inner being.

Theory is very beneficial and i know a good deal of theory and i love analyzing music, but i also know that ive composed beautiful pieces without knowing any of it.
And since you didnt ask about real time improvisation but only composing music and what other things you needed to know to do this, it seems like you have to go back to the roots of what makes music, and that is your feelings.
Last edited by Ignore at Jun 4, 2014,
It starts with a lot of trial and error - mostly error. Write things you like and don't worry too much about whether it sounds original or not - just keep at it. You'll develop a voice eventually.
Well apart from what the others have said, harmonies are an important part. Subtle or in your face is your decision but generally harmonies are essential in instrumentals. It stops the piece from sounding like a douchebag soloist's walk to fame, and more or a beautiful team effor if you get me.
I like comparing songwriting to writing a book. That's a great analogy.

You just need to use your ears. Just like when you write a book, you have something to say. You need to find something to say musically. Music is sounds so try to think in sounds. This of course requires a good ear. But you can also first try one chord and then try to find another chord that sounds good.

Also, good playing technique can help you (you can write more complex parts and be able to play them). Good technique also (usually) means that you know your instrument well and know what kind of stuff works for it. If you want to write music for solo acoustic, listen to solo acoustic players.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115