I have noticed on various music videos and live DVDs, that the rhythm guitarist usually has a bizarre picking style. I describe this picking style as the "Boxer", due to the punching downward motion that is present in these videos. It is seen particularly often in pop punk, and a recent example I can think of is the music video for 'Pretender' by the Foo Fighters. I would appreciate it if someone could explain why they pick with their arms, rather than their wrists.
can you link to an example please?

a vague description in words of a picking style doesnt say much to me.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I get really into it when I play songs, but I can tell that the way they pick is intentional, I was thinking that it was some kind of showmanship, but that seems a bit strange to me.
Might want to think of another term, people are likely to think you're talking about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzUEL7vw60U

Moving to Guitar Techniques
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Picking with more force can influence your tone, however, I suspect that they're doing it just to look cool in music videos.

Although, when I get really into the high point of a post rock style jam that's usually what I'm doing as well. It's fun! Try it!
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
That's just them trying to be rock'n'roll. So basically "poserfags" like someone already called.
Extremely inefficient movement. It's basically the same as people having the guitar hanging around their knees. Apparently some people think it's cool.
It's more fun.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Wow... there are some people in this thread who seriously lack any sense of fun. It's almost like they've never played something really fun and simple live... nuts to those guys.

TS: picking harder influences tone but really if you're properly rocking out and having a lot of fun playing it becomes quite difficult not to do this on a part where you can.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
For music videos, it's rare that they actually play to make the audio, so it may just be for cosmetic purposes. I've seen quite a lot of videos who hardly do their chords right, such as one doing the 'boxing' motion while the sound is of a plucking motion. Whichever, boxer style is stupid.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wow... there are some people in this thread who seriously lack any sense of fun. It's almost like they've never played something really fun and simple live... nuts to those guys.

TS: picking harder influences tone but really if you're properly rocking out and having a lot of fun playing it becomes quite difficult not to do this on a part where you can.

+1