A few months ago, I ripped the EMGs out of my LTD EC-1000, because I really just do not like actives. Problem is, I'm not sure what I want to put in it. I've got some options, and I'm just unsure if they're what I want or not.

I mostly play through a 5150 block letter, but also through my interface into digital amps. The guitar is going to be most likely go between E standard and C# standard, depending on what I need it for that day (mostly in E, though). My playing goes from zeppelin-esque heavy blues rock to thrash/death metal, mostly on the heavier side. I'm looking for something tight and articulate in the bridge, with big (but tight) low end. Neck, I'm a fan of a tone kind of like Paul Waggoner from Between The Buried And Me's lead tone.

Duncan Custom 5/59: Seems like it would work best for the less-heavy stuff. I'm just not convinced it's what I want for the more extreme stuff I play. Maybe an SH-5 would work better?
Duncan Full Shreds: Might work better for lower tunings than the C5/59, but I'm a bit concerned the mids might be a bit overpowering in an all-mahogany guitar.
Duncan Black Winters: Would be perfect for the heavier stuff but I'm not exactly convinced they'll work that well for the lower gain stuff.
Duncan Distortion/Jazz: I know I like this set. Solid combo, but perhaps not what I'm looking for in this guitar.
Dimarzio Titans: Tight as all hell and super clear, but again, for lower output stuff I'm not sure they're what I want.
BKP Aftermaths: Considerably more expensive, but maybe they're worth the expense since they're very close to the tone I'm after for metal.
BKP Nailbombs: Also considerably more expensive, but I dig the way they sound as well, so perhaps they're worth it.
BKP Blackhawks: Very clear, but perhaps TOO clear? I like the neck pickup a lot, but I'm not entirely convinced on the bridge.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 4, 2014,
Paul used d-activators for a while. Now he uses some version of BKs, which one though I am not sure. There is a YouTube video with him running through his rig and he talks about them.

Also just saw where mojotone has the Paul Waggoner pickup set. They are the PW Hornet.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Jun 4, 2014,
i haven't tried most of those

the custom 5 can be a bit scooped in the mids. it's pretty versatile, though. the custom might be better, though, if you err more on the side of the heavier stuff (ages since i've tried it, so )

distortion isn't going to handle those led zep tones too well, i'd have thought.

as you're well aware, with that range of tones there's going to be some compromise, it depends on whether the more vintage tones are more important or the more br00tal ones. or if you genuinely want a 50:50 mix.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As I said, I'm mostly in the heavier side, so that takes precedence.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a Black Winter in my mahogany body guitar. It sounds great for metal. Don't be thrown off by its name; it's actually a versatile pickup. I can even get a country-ish tone out of it.
Well, what I think is that your amp can bring in the heaviness. If you go for lower output pickups, which by no means would be bad combined with high-gain amps, you could easily just dial in a bit more drive to get to where you like, at least that is what I would do. Then again, I am not sure if that would lead to losing "tightness" of your sound?
Tonal characteristics of a pickup (bass, mid, treble, muddiness, brightness etc.) varies.
I am sure you have checked a lot of them out and maybe used the Dimarzio's pickup picker, but maybe you could go for that and see all the variations based on what you'd like to get out of your sound.. Darker, more harmonics or brighter or more output etc.

Demo videos, pickup pickers and spec sheets can only get you as far as guidance. It would need to be the same amp you have, the same speakers and then the same guitar for the test. Then to make it all worse, it would need to be YOU playing.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jun 4, 2014,
I have a blocked 5150 as well...My Pauls sound amazing. Duncan JBs in 1 and Duncan Screamin' Demons in the other. I use to have an ESP with Duncan DimeBuckers which were amazing too, but I had to sell that girl.

Any High Output Alnico that Ive ever played / heard thru the 5150 sound good. But then again...it's a 5150 so its kinda hard not to sound good.
RailHammers sound like they might work for you- possibly a pair of Chisels (medium-high output), or maybe an Anvil (high output) in the bridge and a HyperVintage (PAF-like) in the neck. I know that second one sounds weird, but Reverend uses it in one of their guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by oneblackened
As I said, I'm mostly in the heavier side, so that takes precedence.

Yeah I sort of saw that when I read through again and sort of edited my original post

Yeah I'd probably err on the heavier side of things for the pickup, just not one of the crazy high output or super-modern-voiced ones. So a (ceramic) custom or something like that, I imagine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, the Chisel isn't really what I'm going for. Right now I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just getting a set of Aftermaths.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, the Chisel isn't really what I'm going for. Right now I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and just getting a set of Aftermaths.

Good idea,I'm either going to swap pickups again in my vintage black,just swapped in an emty blackout bridge and I find I just don't jive very well with actives.
Either the black winter or a whole new guitar is what I'm doing
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
I have a set of Black Winters in my ESP Eclipse. I do like the pickups, but I really miss the versatility of the JB/'59 combo that I have before. The Black Winters are definitely better for metal but they lack versatility in my experience.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Right, after all that...
BKP Ceramic Nailbombs.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, yeah, I know...

I'm still not certain the C-Bombs are what I want, actually. Might be doing something different in the BKP line. Perhaps a set of Blackhawks.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 5, 2014,
changing tunings so often isn't the best thing to do. i am sure you know. maybe you should pick up another guitar for the other tuning. i use both C#std and Estd. just have different guitars set up with them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm probably going to set it up for C# and leave it there since I have a floyd equipped guitar in E Standard for that.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
I'm probably going to set it up for C# and leave it there since I have a floyd equipped guitar in E Standard for that.

yea life is easier that way. i have one floyd and one hardtail in C#, one in open G and 18 others in Estd. that is if my memory is serving me correctly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ Yeah I have a load of guitars and most seem to be in E, too.

Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, yeah, I know...

I'm still not certain the C-Bombs are what I want, actually. Might be doing something different in the BKP line. Perhaps a set of Blackhawks.

I wasn't judging you, I just thought it was funny. I do that a lot of the time, too, start out thinking I want one thing and by the end I want something totally different. As long as you end up with something which does what you want, it doesn't really matter how you get there (well as long as you don't steal it or murder someone along the way or something crazy like that, I suppose ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I rather enjoy the stock emg pups in my ec-1000. Im surprised you ripped them out. The gain is fat and tight as hell with that guitar. It has a lot more body to it than most of the other guitars ive played. Good luck with whatever pups you choose
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
I rather enjoy the stock emg pups in my ec-1000. Im surprised you ripped them out. The gain is fat and tight as hell with that guitar. It has a lot more body to it than most of the other guitars ive played. Good luck with whatever pups you choose

I find them too compressed and honestly a bit muddy.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Well, after all that, I've just put in my order for a set of Bare Knuckle Black Hawks. They were easily the best sounding pickups of the bunch for me. Very articulate, but with plenty of crunch and are SUPER tight in the low end (one of the few things I liked about the EMGs).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Nice Let us know what they're like when you get them
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I kinda feel like the already tight sounding Duncans would seem a bit squeezed through a 5150. That amp, I think, is always complimented very well by broad and transparent sounding pickups.

Personally, I think your choice in BKP is a good one!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER