Hey,
Has anyone bought anything or had any dealings with Guitar Fetish? The seem pretty cool. From what they claim, they wind their own pickups. Some of the claims seem good. I was trolling around and found them. Anyone else?
The Greenie is a very good od imo. I dont own one but I like 'em. I have 3 of their p90s in 2 of my guitars and they all sound great. I have no desire to swap any of them out. Great company from my experience.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Very nice service, very nice gear.
I have an XV-835 and I'm pretty damn happy with it.
It doesn't play better than most fenders I tried (probably because of my attempts at modifying the neck and shit ) but it does sure sound better than most fender teles I tried, with one stock pickup and one copied from the '52RI pickups.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have a Fat Pat set. They're good for the price. I wouldn't say they're great objectively. I wouldn't take them over a Duncan '59 set or anything.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use GFS pickups in some of my guitars and certain ones are very good, some are les than stellar.

The fat Pats are good, the VEH are good and the lil' Punchers are good

they have their pickups wound in Korea by Artec who make most every other OMC pickup out there.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I bought a SG body for my latest project. Absolutely no complaints. Was thinking of grabbing some pups from there too, looks like I will from what you guys said.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
A fetish for guitars? what?
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
I've bought quite a few pickups (Retrotrons) and electronics parts from them, and all has been good service and very good value for money. They once sent the wrong pot, and another time the trimpot on a preamp circuit wasn't working, but it was easily fixed with contact cleaner.

I've heard mixed reports of their cheaper types, so I would avoid them.
Quote by 457undead
That's a website pal, guitarfetish.com
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
GFS in general makes good quality products and sell them at a great price point. The GFS stuff isn't going to necessarily rival a boutique company, but it's damn good and the prices are nearly unbeatable in terms of quality-to-price ratio.

I just dropped a GFS bridge single into my MIM Strat, and I personally know a handful of folks who are really happy with GFS pickups they've bought.

I'm really impressed with the Alnico Boutique 9k single coil I have in my MIM Strat. It's a round, fat sounding, ballsy bridge single. It's fair to say it somewhat approaches P90 territory.

Speaking of P90's the GFS Mean 90's are really great pickups. I've got to play a set firsthand, and I'm very impressed. I almost talked myself into buying a HSS pickguard for my Strat to put one of these in the bridge before I decided on the Alnico Boutique.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by Offworld92
I have a Fat Pat set. They're good for the price. I wouldn't say they're great objectively. I wouldn't take them over a Duncan '59 set or anything.

I have the same pups in My LP.
I like them.
Quote by 457undead

Supposedly the newer Rectos, the Marshall Silver Jubilee didn't even get hurt, either.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Robbgnarly
they have their pickups wound in Korea by Artec who make most every other OMC pickup out there.
G&B Pickup Co winds some of their high end stuff now (along with korean PRS's and certain LTD's), but it's mostly Artec
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by sjones

Speaking of P90's the GFS Mean 90's are really great pickups. I've got to play a set firsthand, and I'm very impressed. I almost talked myself into buying a HSS pickguard for my Strat to put one of these in the bridge before I decided on the Alnico Boutique.

Thanks for the comment on the Mean 90s. I've been wondering about them for years, and the only thing that deters me from getting a set is that I can't decide between them and Dream 90s. The fact that GFS make a lot of cosmetically different versions is a fair indication of their popularity.

FWIW, I have a a couple of sets of the long-since-defunct GFS Boston Retrotrons. They look like the Dream 90s, but have a single humbucker bobbin mounted in a lot of wax, and a couple of hot ceramic magnets. They weren't popular, but I like them for warm P90 sounds - and I use a very bright amp that takes that kind of pickup well. The amp counts for a lot when choosing pickups.
I really like Guitarfetish. I have the Greenie TS pedal and it sounds lovely. Ive ordered several parts from them too and never really had any problems. Im always checking there for new stuff
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I've got a few humbuckers from them that I didn't like at all. One specifically... the Vintage Extra Hot was horrible in all my guitars. Nothing like what they described. Everytime I've bought pickguards and hardware they always send me the wrong colors and we have to do the exchange all over again. All their hardware comes from China. If you look at Alibaba or something similar I guarantee you it's the same stuff but 1/6 the price including international shipping. Guitar Fetish's shipping is stupidly outrageous. I think they charged me something like 13 dollars to ship a pickguard 2 states away.

Good Prices on some things... but I avoid them because there's always sometime extra I have to deal with.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 6, 2014,
I'd put them in a beater or beginner guitar. I don't mean that to sound negative, as I love the Mean 90s. But you might as well reach for the top shelf if you've forked a lot over for the guitar already.

But my beater guitar with the Mean 90s has become the one that I reach for more often than not. They really got that one right.
Quote by patriotplayer90
I'd put them in a beater or beginner guitar. I don't mean that to sound negative, as I love the Mean 90s. But you might as well reach for the top shelf if you've forked a lot over for the guitar already.

But my beater guitar with the Mean 90s has become the one that I reach for more often than not. They really got that one right.

I only put em in beater guitars. The one's I wouldn't care as much if they walked off at a bar. It seems like their single coils and p90s are their pickups that get the better reviews. Might have to try myself a P90
Quote by cheesefries
I've got a few humbuckers from them that I didn't like at all. One specifically... the Vintage Extra Hot was horrible in all my guitars. Nothing like what they described. Everytime I've bought pickguards and hardware they always send me the wrong colors and we have to do the exchange all over again. All their hardware comes from China. If you look at Alibaba or something similar I guarantee you it's the same stuff but 1/6 the price including international shipping. Guitar Fetish's shipping is stupidly outrageous. I think they charged me something like 13 dollars to ship a pickguard 2 states away.

Good Prices on some things... but I avoid them because there's always sometime extra I have to deal with.

IMO the VEH is exactly like they describe and it exceeded my expectations (& many other peoples), great pups, one of their highest regarded. You obviously didn't wire them right or something. Lots of people seem to not wire GFS pups correctly and it makes them sound thin & weak or not work at all.

I'v also ordered multiple things from them over the years and have yet to have one single issue with them. Delivery is always fast, on time and I always get exactly what I ordered the first time and everything far exceeds the quality to money ratio. This is ordering single items or multiple items per order.

I find their shipping costs very reasonable, you just have to know how to order. Pretty much everything they sell besides guitars & cases ships either UPS or USPS. You have the option to chose between the 2. The default shipping is UPS but right below that is the USPS shipping rates, that's what you want to pick.

I just put a Strat pickguard in the cart and the UPS shipping is $14.23 and the USPS shipping is $6.20. This is a calculation from 5-6 states away from them. I even added a set of 3 single coils and a complete wiring kit and it only goes up to $9.50 and if you want it insured just add another $2.10. And remember that's 5-6 states away. I can order on a Monday (like I always have) and have my stuff by Friday.

TS:
Guitar Fetish is a great bang for the buck company with great customer service. They are legitimate and safe to do business with.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 6, 2014,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
IMO the VEH is exactly like they describe and it exceeded my expectations (& many other peoples), great pups, one of their highest regarded. You obviously didn't wire them right or something. Lots of people seem to not wire GFS pups correctly and it makes them sound thin & weak or not work at all.

I'v also ordered multiple things from them over the years and have yet to have one single issue with them. Delivery is always fast, on time and I always get exactly what I ordered the first time and everything far exceeds the quality to money ratio. This is ordering single items or multiple items per order.

I find their shipping costs very reasonable, you just have to know how to order. Pretty much everything they sell besides guitars & cases ships either UPS or USPS. You have the option to chose between the 2. The default shipping is UPS but right below that is the USPS shipping rates, that's what you want to pick.

I just put a Strat pickguard in the cart and the UPS shipping is $14.23 and the USPS shipping is $6.20. This is a calculation from 5-6 states away from them. I even added a set of 3 single coils and a complete wiring kit and it only goes up to $9.50 and if you want it insured just add another $2.10. And remember that's 5-6 states away. I can order on a Monday (like I always have) and have my stuff by Friday.

TS:
Guitar Fetish is a great bang for the buck company with great customer service. They are legitimate and safe to do business with.

I wire pickups in all the time. It's a piece of cake. I guess mine wasn't a good representation of what it's supposed to be. It happens. I bought it based on the good reviews that were out there... stuck it in a strat, tele, sg, les paul, a prs, and now it's in a carvin I never pickup. Mine lacks brightness.... a lot of it. I even hardwired it to the output jack and bypassed all controls and it still for some reason had no top end. I'll venture to guess it's the Chinese company they use isn't as consistent as brands like Dimarzio and SD.

So you are saying the same pickguard you can buy from a Chinese wholesale website which is what they likely use... you can buy from Guitar Fetish for 20 bucks. Yet for 5 dollars more you can just have warmoth custom build you one to your specs. I guess if that sounds about right to you...

What's great about China is if you want to go cheap you can buy it directly. It's the same stuff these websites sell.
New Stratocaster Pickguard 5.25 shipped to the USA. If you buy 10 I've seen them as low as 2.80 shipped each

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/White-PVC-1-Ply-SSS-ST-Strat-Electric-Guitar-Pickguard-Scratch-Plate-I125-Freeshipping-Dropshipping-Wholesale/617965056.html
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 6, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries

What's great about China is .......

Not much, they undercut and under sell besides making mass counterfeit products. No not all MIC means bad quality, but that is few and far between
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by cheesefries
I wire pickups in all the time. It's a piece of cake. I guess mine wasn't a good representation of what it's supposed to be. It happens. I bought it based on the good reviews that were out there... stuck it in a strat, tele, sg, les paul, a prs, and now it's in a carvin I never pickup. Mine lacks brightness.... a lot of it. I even hardwired it to the output jack and bypassed all controls and it still for some reason had no top end. I'll venture to guess it's the Chinese company they use isn't as consistent as brands like Dimarzio and SD.

So you are saying the same pickguard you can buy from a Chinese wholesale website which is what they likely use... you can buy from Guitar Fetish for 20 bucks. Yet for 5 dollars more you can just have warmoth custom build you one to your specs. I guess if that sounds about right to you...

What's great about China is if you want to go cheap you can buy it directly. It's the same stuff these websites sell.
New Stratocaster Pickguard 5.25 shipped to the USA. If you buy 10 I've seen them as low as 2.80 shipped each

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/White-PVC-1-Ply-SSS-ST-Strat-Electric-Guitar-Pickguard-Scratch-Plate-I125-Freeshipping-Dropshipping-Wholesale/617965056.html

I know pups are a breeze to change out, but it's GFS's odd color code that throws people off. Since they use the green wire as hot and the black as ground a lot of people mistakenly wire them wrong no mater how many pups they swapped before.

That pickguard you linked is just a cheap 1 ply no wounder it's so cheap. At least GFS has better quality 3 ply ones. And if you can (supposedly) get the same things as GFS for so much cheaper, or spend 5 more for a custom one then why did you keep ordering them from GFS? That just makes no sense to me at all.

I'm not a fan of guitars with pickguards anyways and would never buy myself a pickguard for one so it doesn't really mater to me about price & resource. I only stuck that pickguard in the cart to make a point about GFS's shipping prices not being as outrageous as you claimed.

If you ever order from them again then just make sure you use USPS for shipping instead of UPS. It will save you a decent amount of cash by making shipping considerably less. It's a great tip that I was pointing out to you and whoever else sees it, so take it or leave it.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 6, 2014,
Figured I throw in my 2 cents.

I bought a set of the hot Lil' Killer's about a year ago for my strat. Great sounding pickups. It'd be hard to find something else that sounds as good, for the price. I'll be buying some more for my tele soon.

I highly recommend!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
It looks to me like USPS international shipping charges have been restructured recently. For a while there everything was costing $36.50 which stopped me from buying a lot of stuff from the US. Recently I have started seeing all sorts of postage prices. They must have had a "small package fee" which jumped from $9 to $36. If all the different (and far more reasonable) prices are anything to go by, they've dropped that and are now charging by weight/size or something. I've started buying from the US again.
Perhaps the same thing has happened for domestic postage as well?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i love the GFS "Lil Killers" ( 15 k ohms ) pick up, kinda sounds like a Dimarzio Fast track 2 but with slightly less sledge hammer bass, more upper mids and better high .... but I put it in the mid slot of my S,S,H or H,S,H configured bodies.
I recently bought some from their clearance section , http://www.guitarfetish.com/HOT-Hex-Overwound-Humbuckers-Matched-Pair-BLOWOUT_p_414.html

These pickups were as good as my Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb or Dimarzio Evolutions.
I put this in a Randy Rhoads / Jackson that I made into a 3 humbuckered monster. I have a Dimarzio Neck Evolution, another Evolution ( B) in the middle and the 16.8 k ohms GFS clearance pick up ...... now my guitar is evil !!!!!
I discovered GFS while looking for mini humbuckers. I installed two of their mini crunchies in a tele, then lil puncher and a a noiseless strat from them in another guitar. In China, I discovered Artec and ended up with three Artec humbuckers in an RG. Now I see that they are likely all from the same Korean source.

I've been able to have a close look at them, especially the open frame humbuckers. Also I was able to run audio sweep and impedance tests on most of them. Setting aside the search for tone, which IMO has to do with satisfying personal preferences, I've concluded that SD and DM offer nothing better for their higher price. I've never shopped boutique so I'll leave that alone.

So, yes, I'm extremely comfortable with using GFS pickups. My only peeve really applies to so many vendors, which is the lack of concrete technical information to help you choose the right pickup. GFS does provide some specs, but they tend to be "sprinkled" in product blurbs. Now I've trained myself to look for the signs of quality and I'll never buy an overpriced pickup again when I can find an equal one for half the money or less.

For example, I recently bought an Alnico 5 humbucker set wound to 8k/7.5k from a generic vendor here in China. They are even better than Artec in better baseplates, careful hand work, wax potted, perfectly finished screws and poles and so on. The pair cost me $30. I realize they'd be a little more in Canada. These are not junk. I'm every bit ready to put them in my new Warmoth guitar-for-life.
Last edited by rigatele at Jun 28, 2014,
Quote by rigatele

I've been able to have a close look at them, especially the open frame humbuckers. Also I was able to run audio sweep and impedance tests on most of them. Setting aside the search for tone, which IMO has to do with satisfying personal preferences, I've concluded that SD and DM offer nothing better for their higher price. I've never shopped boutique so I'll leave that alone.

No.
I'm a big GFS fan and for the money they can be very nice, but in my experience Duncan and Dimarzio are deff better built and designed pickups in almost every case.

If they work great for you that is fine, but I don't agree with your blanket statement
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No.
I'm a big GFS fan and for the money they can be very nice, but in my experience Duncan and Dimarzio are deff better built and designed pickups in almost every case.

If they work great for you that is fine, but I don't agree with your blanket statement

I see. Well, one thing I admit. They do active R and D, so they can offer things like asymmetrical coils that they have patents on (and others). What others do is mostly cloning and tweaking. But there can be such a thing as a good copycat. I do also have both Dimarzio and Duncan pickups.

I think the basic design patterns for pickups is so well established, that the differences aren't that great anymore. Only that it has narrowed down to different standard recipes. To me, it looks more like choosing from a box of well known ingredients to make a dish. Which is why it irks me when a vendor doesn't say much about the recipe. It's more useful to me than trying to describe the sounds, which are so subjective. Or the fancy names and associations like "vintage".

Then there is the build quality, which I think is extremely important. I used to work in QA so I know a little bit about that. I guess I could say my point is about diminishing returns. I just think people should realize where their choice is on the curve. Also make the best use of their money. Of course, money spent on garbage is a horrible waste.
Quote by rigatele
I see. Well, one thing I admit. They do active R and D, so they can offer things like asymmetrical coils that they have patents on (and others). What others do is mostly cloning and tweaking. But there can be such a thing as a good copycat. I do also have both Dimarzio and Duncan pickups.

I think the basic design patterns for pickups is so well established, that the differences aren't that great anymore. Only that it has narrowed down to different standard recipes. To me, it looks more like choosing from a box of well known ingredients to make a dish. Which is why it irks me when a vendor doesn't say much about the recipe. It's more useful to me than trying to describe the sounds, which are so subjective. Or the fancy names and associations like "vintage".

Then there is the build quality, which I think is extremely important. I used to work in QA so I know a little bit about that. I guess I could say my point is about diminishing returns. I just think people should realize where their choice is on the curve. Also make the best use of their money. Of course, money spent on garbage is a horrible waste.

Yeah I mean for $30 they are great pickups. I'm a big fan of the fat pat, VEH and the lil' killers. I still have the Fat Pat and Lil Killers in guitars and IMO they sound nice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What if I was going to build a guitar with most of the parts (body, neck, tuners and possibly electronics) from guitar fetish. Is that a bad idea?
Quote by StaticBacon
What if I was going to build a guitar with most of the parts (body, neck, tuners and possibly electronics) from guitar fetish. Is that a bad idea?

it should be fine. The neck is the only part I'd get something better, a Mighty Mite neck would be better IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
it should be fine. The neck is the only part I'd get something better, a Mighty Mite neck would be better IMO

Can you buy them off the Mighty Mite website? I couldn't seem to find where.
Buy a carvin neck. Great necks IMO then go cheaper with other stuff. But yeah I agree with Rob, I would get a nice solid neck.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
you can get the MM necks at MF now (which I just found out)
www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/mighty-mite-mm2902-stratocaster-replacement-neck-with-maple-fingerboard?source=3WWRWXMP&kwid=bingproductads-plaid^26570870414-sku^585035000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^3337966364
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hi all, thought I would add my $0.02 about GFS Mini Humbuckers. I bought a set to go in my Hamer Artist P90 guitar. I was definitely not happy with the pickups, especially the neck pup. It seemed to be defective with the bass notes sounding at about half the output of treble strings. No, raising the polepieces did nothing to help.

The pickups have nice output, but the bass is TERRIBLE mush and just has no definition at all. The bass strings have no punch, spank, or harmonic richness. Maybe OK for an $80 investment on a cheap instrument, but in the Hamer - well the pickups just did not match the quality of the guitar.

So.... I bit the bullet and bought a set of Lollars. By comparison, the GFS pickups are NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. Not by a mile. Honestly, it's like putting a Squier Strat up against a Custom Shop Strat.

I realize that the Lollars are pricey, but they are worth it. I have compared them to duncans, and even the Duncans are not even close to the harmonic complexity you get from the Lollar Mini Hum. The Lollar pickups are beasts and snarl like a mofo, but clean up gloriously with volume reduction or changes in pick attack.

Save your dimes and nickles, and when you get enough cash, splurge for the Lollars. You will not be disappointed.
So you bumped a 6 month old thread about GFS to shill lollar stuff?

Brilliant.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.