In this thread you can post videos about science which you made or which you think that are cool and deserve a place on this forum.

In a first video you will see simple, but mesmerizing video using just a glass of water.

When the arrow is moved to a particular distance behind the glass, it looks like it reversed itself.
When light passes from one material to another, it can bend or refract. In the experiment that you just completed,
light traveled from the air, through the glass, through the water, through the back of the glass, and then back through the air,
before hitting the arrow. Anytime that light passes from one medium, or material, into another, it refracts.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G303o8pJzls

Just because light bends when it travels through different materials, doesn't explain why the arrow reverses itself.
To explain this, you must think about the glass of water as if it is a magnifying glass. When light goes through a
magnifying glass the light bends toward the center. Where the light all comes together is called the focal point,
but beyond the focal point the image appears to reverse because the light rays that were bent pass each other and
the light that was on the right side is now on the left and the left on the right, which makes the arrow appear to be reversed.
Last edited by anri1 at Jun 6, 2014,
Quote by Wormholes
I'd **** kari byron.

+1

i approve this as a very valid contribution to this thread
Quote by mickel_w
+1

+2

Quote by Wormholes
I'd **** kari byron.

Hence the reason she wouldn't go anywhere near you
just watch Vsauce on youtube.

that's all the cool/interesting science facts you'll ever need.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

This is actually a pretty interesting thread, for anyone old enough (smart enough) to think past the end of his little wee wee and actually concentrate on the amazing physics behind the OP's posting idea.

The reflection/refraction and magnification of light is pretty amazing... as the OP's experiment clearly shows. Of course you have to be bright enough to tie a shoe lace to get that. Har, har!

I haven't fooled around with stuff like that for fifty years, but back in the day I loved to do experiments like that. I remember making my own kaleidoscopes, telescopes, and other cool things...just out of ordinary junk/spare parts lying around all over the place.

Me and a school chum once made a 'very' nice telescope, spending weeks on it, and it easily rivaled expensive 'factory-made' jobs. Consequently, and perhaps keeping more in line with the UG site here, we also made our 'own' electric guitar, out of a veggie crate and parts from a ruined/smashed 'no-name' electric that we found in a garbage dump... when we got through with it finally, put some strings on it and plugged it in, it actually sounded pretty good (like a real, bought, guitar.) We weren't egg-heads, just regular dudes fooling around with electronics and using our brains for the fun of it.

I haven't thought about science stuff in a long while (working 12/14 hours a day, 7 days a week, near 365 days a year like my last few jobs don't give you much time) but now that I'm retired things like that interest me again.

Good posting. Thanks.
Quote by anri1
Unbelievably Strong Glass - New Revolution in making thin Glass

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQh2stvqy0

This is a new type of glass which will be manufactured in the future.
It will replace ordinary glass in the near future. It will also be used by
mobile phone manufacturers.

This type of glass is the strongest glass in the world. It is ten times
stronger than ordinary glass.It is resistant to scratching and hard impacts,
which is presented in the test.

In the test, we will use two steel balls and two glasses for shattering.
The first glass is made of the new type of glass,
while the second one is made of ordinary glass that is currently used.

I want this in my bar

right now

Glasses break so easily ;_;

Always good telling whoever broke a glass to settle the **** down though
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Stop using this thread to promote your YouTube channel.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
How was this dude not banned? He was obviously advertising this Home Science youtube channel, and now he's back.

*reported

(haven't done that in a while)
Quote by StewieSwan

HOLY SHIT

I JUST watched this video, independent of knowing this thread

Recently picked up on Veritasium and Vsauce on YouTube. These videos are amazing

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by The4thHorsemen
How was this dude not banned? He was obviously advertising this Home Science youtube channel, and now he's back.

*reported

(haven't done that in a while)

I deleted all my posts. You happy now?
I've seen some cool videos about human biology and reproduction, but the meanie mods won't let me.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA