Thought id get a strange or interesting ailments/syndromes/medical conditions thread going after hearing about one today.

The one I heard about is that when hillwalkers go missing in cold climates they sometimes are found absolutely naked by the rescue team. This is called naked hillwalker syndrome or paradoxical undressing. It occurs because the person, due to the cold, gets hypothermia. If the hypothermia gets really bad it can cause the sensation that the sufferer is actually really warm, so instead of wrapping up, they strip completely naked to try and cool down.

If youve got your own, share away!

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
rectal prolapse

its when ur bum turns inside out

the automatic drowning response or whatever it's called.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I have visual snow. I see everything like this pretty much(+tons of floaters, auras, etc), but it's only as severe as the pic when it's pitch black.

Allow me to expand your knowledge of paradoxical undressing:

When your body gets colder and approaches/passes hypothermia, it has automatic reaction mechanisms. Your arteries/veins shunt at the extremities, forcing much needed warm blood to your vital organs. If a person goes further and further into hypothermia, the last stages are uncompensated and the body loses all ability to attempt to control hypothermia. Control of the blood vessels (which are a specific sort of muscle tissue) is lost, causing a rush of blood to the extremities, causing the person to feel much warmer than they rightfully are. This is, of course, coupled with the usually significantly deteriorated mental state that they're already in. So yeah it's one of the last things before death.
My God, it's full of stars!
Oh ok. That's not as cool as what I linked to

I've seen a good amount of guys lose consciousness in the water from hypoxia, which apparently is called "near drowning, and a funny thing about it is that the first time the person is aware of themselves going through all of the terrible feelings of hypoxia, but the next one or two times they near drown it just seemingly happens out of the blue.

The human body in the water is a fascinating thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_narcosis
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by tiesto13
Ebola sounds like a nasty sounding disease I would like to avoid it for as long as possible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease

I brought my vessel to Port Buchanan, Liberia recently. There have been confirmed cases of Ebola in that country. Trust me, I did not shake any hands.
aka, Possum Head on /b
This is one of my favourite subjects. The one I can't comprehend is Charles Bonnet syndrome - mentally healthy blind people having visual hallucinations. If you were blind from birth, how could you describe the sensation? or describe what you're seeing?

Cotard delusion - The delusion you're actually dead. There are loads of weird delusions ; Capgras delusion - That people in your life are actors. Lima syndrome - The opposite of Stockholm. Stendhal Syndrome - A mental breakdown due to the beauty of art.

Check out some Oliver Sacks books if you ever want to read up on the weird side of mental illness/neurological problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgOTaXhbqPQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibrodysplasia_ossificans_progressiva

Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP), sometimes referred to as Stone Man Syndrome, is an extremely rare disease of the connective tissue. A mutation of the body's repair mechanism causes fibrous tissue (including muscle, tendon, and ligament) to be ossified spontaneously or when damaged. In many cases, injuries can cause joints to become permanently frozen in place. Surgical removal of the extra bone growths has been shown to cause the body to "repair" the affected area with more bone.[1]

Odd thing.
Quote by MattMez
This kid at school said he knew when he was about to sneeze because his testicles would tingle.

did u know that if u scratch the inside of ur bellybutton ur peepee tingles
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro_%28medicine%29

Koro is a culture-specific syndrome in which an individual has an overpowering belief that his or her genitals (e.g., penis or female nipples) are retracting and will disappear, despite the lack of any true longstanding changes to the genitals.[1] Koro is also known as shrinking penis, and it is listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The syndrome occurs worldwide, and mass hysteria of genital-shrinkage anxiety has a history in Africa, Asia, and Europe.[2] In the United States and Europe, the syndrome is commonly known as genital retraction syndrome.[3] The condition can be diagnosed through psychological assessment along with physical examination to rule out genuine disorders of the genitalia that could be causing true retraction.[4][5]

and i found this while trying to remember the name of that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_%28disease%29

The term "kuru" derives from the Fore word "kuria/guria" ("to shake"),[2] a reference to the body tremors that are a classic symptom of the disease; it is also known among the Fore as the laughing sickness due to the pathologic bursts of laughter people would display when afflicted with the disease. It is now widely accepted that Kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via cannibalism.[3]
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Wormholes
I have visual snow. I see everything like this pretty much(+tons of floaters, auras, etc), but it's only as severe as the pic when it's pitch black.

hmm.. when i close my eyes there are aura's and patterns and colours moving everywhere.. i always wondered if that's normal. no snow though.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by Koro Wikipedia
In the late Middle Ages in Europe, it was believed that men could lose their penises through magical attacks by witches.[2] The Malleus Maleficarum, a 15th-century European manual for witchcraft investigations, relates stories of men claiming that their genitals had disappeared, being "hidden by the devil … so that they can be neither seen nor felt." They were said to have reappeared after the men had appeased the witches responsible.[58] Witches were said to store the removed genitals in birds' nests or in boxes, where "they move themselves like living members and eat oats and corn]

wat
Quote by MinterMan22
ha ha i definitely dont have that ! nothing to worry about here ! carry on my friends !

haha right on my large penis brother!!
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Oh god that's so ****ed up. I wish I hadn't image searched that.

Imagine giving birth to one of those babies.