Hi. I have an electric-acoustic guitar (Yamaha FGX 700 SC). I like to strum hard sometimes but I really like finger picking, though, most of the songs I know are played with a simple strum pattern. I play soft rock (superman), 60s-80s stuff (House of the Rising Sun; Africa), and acoustic renditions of pop (radioactive); really, any good music that I really like.

I live in New Mexico.

I am looking to pay less than $80, but would go up to $100 if the amp was really worth it.

I am planning to play in my bedroom, in my living room for friends, and sometimes, but rarely, at a get-together.

What's the perfect amp for me? I think put in enough "filters" to find a good one. Haha
Craigslist is gonna be about your only option. You're not gonna get much more than a toy with that budget. (No offense)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The Peavey Vypyr VIP has electric and acoustic models in it. I would highly recommend the II, as it has a 12" speaker which makes a huge difference in the fullness of your sound compared to the tiny 8" that is in the I.

There's a used II here for $120. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used--Peavey--Vypyr-VIP-2-40W-1X12---Guitar-Combo-Amp-110217308-i3782904.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The Peavey Vypyr VIP has electric and acoustic models in it. I would highly recommend the II, as it has a 12" speaker which makes a huge difference in the fullness of your sound compared to the tiny 8" that is in the I.

There's a used II here for $120. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used--Peavey--Vypyr-VIP-2-40W-1X12---Guitar-Combo-Amp-110217308-i3782904.gc

I could see maybe paying for that (I'm in my teens and only make my allowance and side jobs, so I don't have much money to go and blow).

Have you tried the amp? How is it? And is it loud enough for me do you think?
Quote by lucky1978
Craigslist is gonna be about your only option. You're not gonna get much more than a toy with that budget. (No offense)

That's a good idea. Didn't think of that.
The VIPs are newer so there probably a lil tougher to find on craigslist but I do agree with offworld, the VIP would probably work great for you. You should aim for one of those, maybe squeeze you parents for a lil more money, mow some lawns or something. Regular electric guitar amps sound horrible with an A/E, imo
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Thanks for your help guys. I called up guitar center and they suggested an Acoustic AG15 acoustic amp. I found one in California in great condition for half the price and ordered it up.
Quote by lukejavier1
I could see maybe paying for that (I'm in my teens and only make my allowance and side jobs, so I don't have much money to go and blow).

Have you tried the amp? How is it? And is it loud enough for me do you think?

I owned the VIP-3 until just about a week ago. It's a great amp for what it is. As usually, The Vypyr is the best of the competition in entry level modelers. Both tonally, but also in terms of effect offerings and parameter editing. A notable thing about the VIP is that they are notably more dynamic and responsive to your playing than the original Vypyrs, IMO putting them even farther ahead of the competition.

Yes, the VIP-2 would be more than enough volume for your needs, unless you want to play bass through it (it is also a bass amp besides electric and acoustic).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by lukejavier1
Thanks for your help guys. I called up guitar center and they suggested an Acoustic AG15 acoustic amp. I found one in California in great condition for half the price and ordered it up.

Way to COMPLETELY ignore the advice given.

You do know guitar center is in the business of selling product, which often puts them at odds with giving the best advice, right?

Hope it works out for you.

IIRC, Acoustic is GC's house brand, no surprise that's what they suggested then eh?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Why did you even need an amp? It's an acoustic guitar. It should be loud enough for what you need. It's not like you're playing out and your guitar isn't one of those electric acoustic guitars that are meant to be amped.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Why did you even need an amp? It's an acoustic guitar. It should be loud enough for what you need. It's not like you're playing out and your guitar isn't one of those electric acoustic guitars that are meant to be amped.

Quote by lukejavier1
Hi. I have an electric-acoustic guitar (Yamaha FGX 700 SC).

? ?
Charles Darwin
Sounds Great? No not really. I guess it does what it's supposed to do. Make noise louder in a very muffled way. Since the whole amp is less than the price of just 1 quality speaker you can't expect much.

http://youtu.be/I0Gh3HfbIgI

The Peavey which was recommended on the other hand... actually sounds very good and isn't a junk toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lF0JSQ-HGo
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 5, 2014,
@Arby911
It's a full-size (cutaway) acoustic guitar with a pickup and preamp. You don't need an amp with it. He has an acoustic-electric. It's not something like a Godin Acousticaster, a Fender Acoustasonic, or a Taylor T5 that needs an amp.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jun 5, 2014,
Quote by JELIFISH19
@Arby911
It's a full-size (cutaway) acoustic guitar with a pickup and preamp. You don't need an amp with it. He has an acoustic-electric. It's not something like a Godin Acousticaster, a Fender Acoustasonic, or a Taylor T5 that needs an amp.

It's meant to be amped (hence the pickup and pre), but it's not required to be amped, right?

Now go back and reread what you wrote...
Charles Darwin
I want to thank you guys again for the help. You did help lead me in the right direction. I do understand that because guitar center is a big businesses they only want to sell me something, but I went on a whim and trusted the guy. The amp does have a weird electric echoy thing going on but I kinda like it, it gives my songs a new sound to enjoy.

Sorry for not getting the amp you guys suggested, it just was really high on my price range (it actually busted it).

For those wondering why I got an amp: yes, my guitar is plenty loud on its own, but half the guitar is electric. It has a panel on it that's main purpose is for use with an amp. I paid extra to get the guitar that can play with an amp. That would be like me buying a jeep just go on daily commutes and never going off road. I wanted to complete my guitar.

Thanks guys.