I am using the Blackstar HT Series HT-5RH Tube Guitar Amp Head and the
Blackstar HT408M 4X8 Speaker Cabinet with Metal Grille. I am not sure what to do? do I need to buy another pedal or something? seems kind of dumb that the amp distortion does not work. could I be doing something wrong? the manual did not help either. thanks in advance.
If you're doing what I'm assuming, and that's running the looper in the front of the amp and recording it distorted and then switching the amp to clean, then it's working like it should.

The looper is only recording what's coming into the pedal, not after it. So you either need a distortion pedal in front of the looper or run the looper through the effects loop of an amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
no like I will turn on the distortion and it says its on but no distortion sound will come out of the amp and the looper won't record it distorted.
Does it do the same thing without the looper?

Check the input and output levels on the looper. You may not have your levels right and its not pushing the amp hard enough for distortion.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
no, when I do not use the looper it works fine. I am also in a real shitty barracks I think and the sound quality is already ruined. could it be making it so it can't handle it? might be jumping to conclusions too soon. I am going to try and screw with it again.
nevermind I got it to work. but now when it loops the distortion it sounds like complete ****ing shit and doesn't even sound like anything. thoughts?
Check your levels and remember, loopers only record pedals if they're in between your guitar and the looper. It can't record anything that comes after it. You can't loop a clean riff and use the amps distortion to overdub a lead/solo part or vice versa. Anything after the looper, alters it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
That's weird. How are you powering the pedal? Do you have other pedals?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ask yourself... Where is your distortion coming from and where is your looper. That should answer your question about why it doesn't work.

Put your looper in the amp's fx loop. The looper can't record distortion unless you send it a signal that has distortion. Also set the amp's fx loop to -10dbm or it may overdrive the looper.