I've been playing a long time and have only recently realized that it's proper to bend w/ your wrist and not your fingers. Bending w/ my fingers in succession causes me finger muscle fatigue and since it's also just not the ideal way to do it, I would like to employ the wrist vibrato.

However, I just can't get it. I"ve watched a ton of videos by justin guitar and rob chappers and others, and I just can't figure it out. I'm using my thumb and first finger as a pivot, but for whatever reason, I'm just locked into using my fingers to push the string up or pull it down. Is there anything else that I can do to amend this problem?
The motion you want is to rotate your forearm. Hold your arm out and imagine you are turning a doorknob, this is pretty much the motion you want when bending.

Just keep practicing, if your fingers are moving you need to focus on keeping them still (and relaxed) while you rotate using the thumb as a pivot. If you are used to bending with your fingers this will take a fair bit of practice to be able to do at all, but once you get it down it will become a lot easier to practice and improve with.
Quote by RyanMW2010
I've been playing a long time and have only recently realized that it's proper to bend w/ your wrist and not your fingers. Bending w/ my fingers in succession causes me finger muscle fatigue and since it's also just not the ideal way to do it, I would like to employ the wrist vibrato.

However, I just can't get it. I"ve watched a ton of videos by justin guitar and rob chappers and others, and I just can't figure it out. I'm using my thumb and first finger as a pivot, but for whatever reason, I'm just locked into using my fingers to push the string up or pull it down. Is there anything else that I can do to amend this problem?

Are you sure that it fatigues your fingers or is it that something you convinced yourself to believe because you think wrist-twisting is the "proper way"?

Try it with your fingers diagonal on the frets. And again you don't have to twist anything.
Quote by Kruggy
you convinced yourself to believe because you think wrist-twisting is the "proper way"?

Rotating your wrist is the correct way to bend notes though, there's a reason pretty much every guitar teacher in the world will teach this way to bend on an electric guitar.

It's possible to bend with your fingers but using your wrist will give you more control while minimising the tension you need to use.
Quote by Anon17
Rotating your wrist is the correct way to bend notes though, there's a reason pretty much every guitar teacher in the world will teach this way to bend on an electric guitar.

It's possible to bend with your fingers but using your wrist will give you more control while minimising the tension you need to use.

You could give generalization for the masses but exceptions to the rule proves the rule. Every guitar teacher in the world will tell you to hold your pick between your index and your thumb (thumb on top of the index), but if you've seen a good number of guitarists live or on vid you'll see so many actually decide to hold the pick with the thumb on the inside of the index. Likewise, every guitar teacher will tell you to pick from the wrist, not from the arm or elbow, but I know a couple of good guitarists who do pick from the arm.

Or anchoring--"oh that's not fluid technique... really, stop trying to be Petrucci" or "You're not Paul Gilbert mate--anchor your arm so it's more stable that way".

Yes generalizations can be made and there are laws of human physiology and physics but if something isn't broken and gets the job done, it needs not be repaired.
Quote by Kruggy
You could give generalization for the masses but exceptions to the rule proves the rule. Every guitar teacher in the world will tell you to hold your pick between your index and your thumb (thumb on top of the index), but if you've seen a good number of guitarists live or on vid you'll see so many actually decide to hold the pick with the thumb on the inside of the index. Likewise, every guitar teacher will tell you to pick from the wrist, not from the arm or elbow, but I know a couple of good guitarists who do pick from the arm.

Or anchoring--"oh that's not fluid technique... really, stop trying to be Petrucci" or "You're not Paul Gilbert mate--anchor your arm so it's more stable that way".

Yes generalizations can be made and there are laws of human physiology and physics but if something isn't broken and gets the job done, it needs not be repaired.

Bending with your fingers means you have shit technique, and having shitty technique will only hold your playing back. Bending with your wrist is the right way to go it takes less strength as you're just rotating your wrist to lift, and push the strings up it's not really that big of an issue.. By the way picking with your arm? That's horrible technique right there, and i'm pretty sure those guitar players you refer to that do that have limits to their ability.

The only thing I can agree with is that everyone picks differently.. I mean from your post it's just like saying that people just shouldn't use the proper finger style technique where you use your thumb to pick the Low E, A, D string and just use their index finger instead that's just limiting your technical abilities; or that someone shouldn't rotate their wrist while strumming lol.... I highly doubt anyone can play accurately or with speed without the right technique. By the way Try telling that crap about how not having the right technique doesn't matter to someone about playing funk how unimportant it is to rotate your wrist to play 16th note rhythms you'll most likely end up getting slapped and laughed at

Last edited by Black_devils at Jun 22, 2014,
Thumb over for wrist bends and vibrato, behind for finger bends and other vibrato techniques. Both are useful to be good at depending on what you need to play. Wrist bends usually have way more feel and range, but finger bends have their place as well.
^ I can understand one finger bends, but bending with your fingers as your main bending technique? That's just going to hold your technique back lol..
Quote by Kruggy
You could give generalization for the masses but exceptions to the rule proves the rule.

No it doesn't, exceptions to a rule infer a general rule but do not prove anything. This is a common misconception of the quote.

For example if I said "all guitarists bend with their wrist", the fact that there are exceptions (some bend with their fingers) disprove the rule.

If his bending wasn't broken, he wouldn't be posting here.

There is a reason why guitar teachers tell you do hold the pick a certain way, or bend a certain way or whatever; it's because this kind of technique works the best for the absolute vast majority of all players.

You get guitarists who have different technique, for example Petrucci's anchoring when he picks. This doesn't mean that it's a good idea to emulate this instead of using time proven technique (not anchoring), hell JP said himself if he had to relearn guitar he would make sure not to anchor. He noticeably tenses up on the faster picking runs he does because of his anchoring.
Quote by Black_devils
Bending with your fingers means you have shit technique, and having shitty technique will only hold your playing back. Bending with your wrist is the right way to go it takes less strength as you're just rotating your wrist to lift, and push the strings up it's not really that big of an issue.. By the way picking with your arm? That's horrible technique right there, and i'm pretty sure those guitar players you refer to that do that have limits to their ability.

The only thing I can agree with is that everyone picks differently.. I mean from your post it's just like saying that people just shouldn't use the proper finger style technique where you use your thumb to pick the Low E, A, D string and just use their index finger instead that's just limiting your technical abilities; or that someone shouldn't rotate their wrist while strumming lol.... I highly doubt anyone can play accurately or with speed without the right technique. By the way Try telling that crap about how not having the right technique doesn't matter to someone about playing funk how unimportant it is to rotate your wrist to play 16th note rhythms you'll most likely end up getting slapped and laughed at

Funk sucks.
Quote by Anon17
No it doesn't, exceptions to a rule infer a general rule but do not prove anything. This is a common misconception of the quote.

For example if I said "all guitarists bend with their wrist", the fact that there are exceptions (some bend with their fingers) disprove the rule.

If his bending wasn't broken, he wouldn't be posting here.

There is a reason why guitar teachers tell you do hold the pick a certain way, or bend a certain way or whatever; it's because this kind of technique works the best for the absolute vast majority of all players.

You get guitarists who have different technique, for example Petrucci's anchoring when he picks. This doesn't mean that it's a good idea to emulate this instead of using time proven technique (not anchoring), hell JP said himself if he had to relearn guitar he would make sure not to anchor. He noticeably tenses up on the faster picking runs he does because of his anchoring.

I agree with you. : D

But if someone finds that they play more efficiently if they pick with their elbows, so be it. I mean I guess you could only strum with your elbows but you get it lol. I do not know whether he felt his bending was broken because it didn't work or because it's bad form (something bohemian). That's my point. I don't know whether bending with a door locking motion will be more effective for most players because I don't know most players. I can only make assumptions and in this case I was just making sure this person knew what they were doing.
Quote by Kruggy
Funk sucks.

It probably sucks because you don't have the skill to play it judging by your previous post. Don't give advice on this forum you're doing more harm than good because you don't know what the hell you're talking about lmfao!

Quote by Black_devils
It probably sucks because you don't have the skill to play it judging by your previous post. Don't give advice on this forum you're doing more harm than good because you don't know what the hell you're talking about lmfao!

No, it's just too "funky".